• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is the Predator right for my goals?

MilkweedMania

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking here for a bit. I sure enjoy all of the informative information about saddle hunting in this forum. That being said, I took the plunge and bought a Mantis and am so excited to practice/prepare for next season.

I think one of the things that drew me to saddle hunting is the ability to slip behind the tree if deer come from that direction. I hunt a lot of areas where this is possible. However, it would seem that with the Predator platform, this option isn't there because nothing to step on is located on the back of the tree.

Am I missing something? Is it still possible to move to the back of the tree with the Predator?

Thanks!

I don’t have mine yet, to testify. But here’s what I think, I think mostly we can push around the tree. But if we need to truly be on the opposite side we would need to add a step or two. Which reminds me of the question I wanted to ask, does anyone ever put a second teather up on the opposite side just in case?

On smaller diameter trees, you can move fully around the tree and maintain foot contact with the sides of the platform. On larger trees you are correct but you can install an additional step or two on the backside of the tree for ease of movement.

I've yet to understand the circumstance where playing peek-a-boo with a deer by hiding behind a tree is more beneficial than the large amount of movement you make doing so, but I guess that's just my personal experience.

On smaller diameter trees, you can move fully around the tree and maintain foot contact with the sides of the platform. On larger trees you are correct but you can install an additional step or two on the backside of the tree for ease of movement.

I've yet to understand the circumstance where playing peek-a-boo with a deer by hiding behind a tree is more beneficial than the large amount of movement you make doing so, but I guess that's just my personal experience.

What you are saying makes sense, however, I have a lot of setups where I have ample time to move around because I see deer well in advance of them being in range.

Can anyone recommend a favorite step(s) to put on the other side of a Predator?

You can "kick off" the side of the platform and push yourself pretty much all the way around the tree without an extra step. I do it all the time with no issues.

I'm so new to this method that I feel it might take a while for me to pull that technique off!!!

I'm so new to this method that I feel it might take a while for me to pull that technique off!!!

That's why we practice year round.

Once you know what your goals are the selection becomes easier. For me, I wanted a system that would allow me to shoot 360 from the back side of the tree (i.e. I did not want to have to try to walk around a ROS no matter how the deer comes in) SO a platform fits that bill. With careful tree selection, I can get away with slight movement at my preferred height (15-18 foot) and still get off a shot no matter which direction he comes in. That predator platform fits that bill to a tee. it is just big enough to allow me 360 spinning on the platform, and yet is small, compact, lightweight and so easy to set up on a tree. In the rare event I need to take a shot off to the right or left in front of me, I worked out a system years a go to do that with minimal movement. 90% of time all I need is my platform. On really large trees I use a step on either side.

It is not hard. You can do this. You can easily move at least behind a tree so that most of your profile is not exposed without an extra step. I use a ROS sometimes or a predator platform. I think any new hunter will feel a Predator is easier to get used to than a ROS.

You can "kick off" the side of the platform and push yourself pretty much all the way around the tree without an extra step. I do it all the time with no issues.
Yes, you can do it, but you might not be able to do it with ultra slow movement that we need sometimes.
Deer end up screwing us way more often than we would like to admit. 1 deer in a safe location, often becomes 6 deer. A dozen eyes just waiting to bust us. A dozen ears that can almost hear our hearts pounding.
For all the weight it takes, I will always have 1 step on my strap to on my strong side and my top climbing step on my weak side.
I can see more reasons to HAVE one step on each side than reasons to NOT have steps.
I try to plan for the unlikely. The unlikely seems to likely happen when deer hunting.

I use both . With the Predator platform I don't have an issue shooting 360 and don't use an extra step . Practice with the Predator and you should be able to do the same.

Yes, you can do it, but you might not be able to do it with ultra slow movement that we need sometimes.
Deer end up screwing us way more often than we would like to admit. 1 deer in a safe location, often becomes 6 deer. A dozen eyes just waiting to bust us. A dozen ears that can almost hear our hearts pounding.
For all the weight it takes, I will always have 1 step on my strap to on my strong side and my top climbing step on my weak side.
I can see more reasons to HAVE one step on each side than reasons to NOT have steps.
I try to plan for the unlikely. The unlikely seems to likely happen when deer hunting.
You put a step on your predator strap?

Ok, so another stupid question, as I JUST got my predator and got the whole toe lift thing down to keep the top teeth against the tree. The step still works if the strap is angled dowwards, right?
Pretty cool idea, but now I've got ANOTHER thing to get!! Plus the versa strap.

One thing I have found during my first season hunting out of a saddle and using the predator platform is deer just don't see me nearly as much as when hunting out of a hang on. I had a couple instances where I saw deer coming and I just sat in the saddle, in turn keeping my body close to the tree. The deer had no clue I was there. I was even in the leaning position once and had a buck check me out, but didn't spook. He just proceeded to check the scrap I made the night before. Walked off without alarm. In my opinion, walking to the backside of the tree is a lot of movement. It's crazy how deer can catch movement even from far distances. Not necessarily a risk I'm going to take.

Very true. I also tend to hunt pretty small trees so that is a factor as well. Bigger trees, yes a step is very helpful. I used only the platform this year and took shots at every position so for ME I just don't worry about it. I have a bit of practice tho ;)

Ok, so another stupid question, as I JUST got my predator and got the whole toe lift thing down to keep the top teeth against the tree. The step still works if the strap is angled dowwards, right?
Pretty cool idea, but now I've got ANOTHER thing to get!! Plus the versa strap.
Hanging out with these men is awful isn’t it?

Back