• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is this a crack or a chip..

MattMan81

SH Member
So I picked up a used set of limbs for my bowtech off eBay. I didn't notice this when I first put them on. I sharped the start and end of it and shot a few more times. So far I have not seen any travel in in. These are the newer BT version limbs that are supposed to correct the issues from the old ones (but still used). I also grabbed 3 other limbs I saw in case. If I wasn't less than 1 week out and had time to kill I would swap it out. But not enough time to re tune everything. If it gets worse I will side line it and go to the xbow. It is missing some material. But is not peeling away like the old ones were doing. The old ones peeled between the brace and the cam. This is back between the brace and the riser. I just want to get thru season. I have about had it with this bow. What are your thoughts from the photo? IMG_20230925_181421452_HDR.jpg

It's a reign 6.
It's not peeling like my old ones where it splintered. I can't get anything to flake up. So maybe it's just on the surface.
I'll keep monitoring it. I marked it. So as long as it doesn't get any bigger. Should be fine.

You have the worst luck with bow limbs @MattMan81 ! Fortunately, I agree with everyone else above that it just looks like a scrape on the surface. You're doing the right thing marking and monitoring it.

There doesn't look like any damage to the underlying composite, and the scratch is in the good direction parallel. If it were perpendicular you could peel away the covering sheen and inspect, but as is shown, I don't feel there's any danger.

Just hope it doesn’t turn into something like this (4 days before the season)
4f701aa8a58e64ff42ca8dd9b30ec282.jpg

From the picture I agree it looks cosmetic. If it were mine I'd use a paint pen to mark it up so I could tell if any of the defects grow or change.

I haven’t had great luck with Bowtech products myself. I kinda like the company so I won’t say anything truly bad, but splintered bowtech limbs are not something I HAVEN’T heard of. My issues were with cams and strings, just to be transparent.
I’m no expert either but it does look cosmetic. Again, monitor. Smart to bring it here too. Don’t want to underestimate a bow issue.

It is a scrape. Nothing to worry about. Bowtech has had some limb issues in the past but it gets over-exaggerated on the internet. I've noticed that the majority of Bowtech limb issues are from people who don't own one.

This was my limbs last October. Walking back to the truck and I noticed something off. These were the style they had problems with. The ones on there now have a criss cross pattern in them. Which was the up dated ones. I read BT had someone making them. The newer ones they brought back in house or monitored who was making them more closely is what I read . Screenshot_20230926-190216-576.png

This was my limbs last October. Walking back to the truck and I noticed something off. These were the style they had problems with. The ones on there now have a criss cross pattern in them. Which was the up dated ones. I read BT had someone making them. The newer ones they brought back in house or monitored who was making them more closely is what I read . View attachment 91438

That is called feathering. When drawn, the inside of a limb shortens, and the outside of a limb lengthens. On the inside of the limb, the outer layers can't compress enough and have a tendency to delaminate and jump over itself. The main reason for this feathering effect is that the area that does most of the flexing, known as the "sweet spot" is too short. So that short flex zone causes the limb to delaminate and feather.

This feathering may not show up with one design but if they use the same limb on another bow with a different geometry and limb angle, it may start to show up.

Bowtech may use the same exact limb on 3 different bow models, but the limb defection may be 10 pounds different for each bow. On 2 of the bows, the limbs may be fine and but on 1 bow, it may be a problem.

That is called feathering. When drawn, the inside of a limb shortens, and the outside of a limb lengthens. On the inside of the limb, the outer layers can't compress enough and have a tendency to delaminate and jump over itself. The main reason for this feathering effect is that the area that does most of the flexing, known as the "sweet spot" is too short. So that short flex zone causes the limb to delaminate and feather.

This feathering may not show up with one design but if they use the same limb on another bow with a different geometry and limb angle, it may start to show up.

Bowtech may use the same exact limb on 3 different bow models, but the limb defection may be 10 pounds different for each bow. On 2 of the bows, the limbs may be fine and but on 1 bow, it may be a problem.
Dude. That was way to scientific enough answer. Love it. But...
This is the internet. Your suppose to share feelings and opinions. Not facts!

@BTaylor did I qualify??? 30yards. My max I would shoot in a ideal situation. I had a long talk with the guy who works on my bow. I didn't feel like I was getting a consistent anchor. So I made a slight adjustment. Bumped my DL back one mark since it made it a tad shorter. Seems I was getting in a Grove. I also found my weird noise it was making. My comfort disc on the cam was loose. I don't ever remember loosing them in the limb replacement. But maybe I played with it at some point.
As long as I kept my form up things felt good.
I also zeroed the crossbow first. That way it took the pressure of me to be perfect. At least I knew that was ready to roll.
Screenshot_20230928-185913-506.png

It's a reign 6.
It's not peeling like my old ones where it splintered. I can't get anything to flake up. So maybe it's just on the surface.
I'll keep monitoring it. I marked it. So as long as it doesn't get any bigger. Should be fine.
I agree with the previous assessments provided…. It’s a scrape and doesn’t look very deep to me at all.

@BTaylor did I qualify??? 30yards. My max I would shoot in a ideal situation. I had a long talk with the guy who works on my bow. I didn't feel like I was getting a consistent anchor. So I made a slight adjustment. Bumped my DL back one mark since it made it a tad shorter. Seems I was getting in a Grove. I also found my weird noise it was making. My comfort disc on the cam was loose. I don't ever remember loosing them in the limb replacement. But maybe I played with it at some point.
As long as I kept my form up things felt good.
I also zeroed the crossbow first. That way it took the pressure of me to be perfect. At least I knew that was ready to roll.
View attachment 91598
You certainly dont need my permission but I have hunted when I wasnt shooting that well and killed deer. I guess you can put that crossgun in the classifieds now. :p

You certainly dont need my permission but I have hunted when I wasnt shooting that well and killed deer. I guess you can put that crossgun in the classifieds now. :p
Lol. The crossgun is for the kids. Or for when I break something.

Back