• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is this a rub?

Alan zanona

Be kind please, I am new to hunting. I am seeing bucks and does in this area but this looks different than the rubs I have seen.

Attachments

• 20191103_174157.jpg
    20191103_174157.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 156
The freshest rubbed parts appear very low to the tree overall but the older rubbed area appears at more of a typical height for rubs. I would say yes and I would also say it may be a signpost rub due to the different ages of rubbed areas on this tree. This may be a great spot to set up near right now. You don't typically want to hunt just a single bit of sign but you include other information like: Is it on a trail or a convergence of trails? Are there other rubs nearby? Scrapes? Is it in thicker cover or at the edge of a field? Is at, in or near terrain feature(s) like a funnel, or a saddle or maybe a transition zone where two or three different types of cover provide an edge? Deer love to move along these transition zones or edges. In the trapping world things like ridges, rivers, rows, roads, are all great movement areas that tend to funnel game. As the rut progresses the bucks will shift from sign to actually staying with does coming into estrous until they are bred, hunting sign at this time of the season or the "rut" can be a waste of time if you know the buck is with does. However, the bucks and other deer travel through these areas for a reason and so it is never awful to set up near sign but don't just rely on it to answer all of your questions or to be the panacea of your efforts. I hope this helps.

Thanks all. I have been working this area within 100 yds and buck following doe this a.m. on the other side of the creek.

Rubs look different, I have heard theories..... big rubs big deer, etc..... I have seen certain trees that deer rub every year. I would rather find a scrape line, as multiple deer hit scrapes, and dominate deer may hit scrapes multiple times.

I have also noticed that deer in my area prefer to rub out cedar or bay trees. Every now and then I will find pine or oak rubs, but they are only a small percentage. I think they prefer cedar and bay trees because the inner trunk strongly contrasts the bark.

Looks like the tree split at a bifurcation or something. Is there a dead part of the tree laying nearby? It’s odd, Not a rub though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back