• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

It’s a kitty

I was in Quebec near James bay walking around alone with a stringer of fish and felt uneasy. Canada did not allow pistols. I don't know about now. A short shotgun with slugs would be OK. I had only fish to throw and hightail it back to camp if any bear was around.

That cat has muscles on muscles.

Last edited:
He's definitely at the top of the food chain. That .44 Mag wad cutter wouldn't be my first choice either. Maybe a hollow pt

He's definitely at the top of the food chain. That .44 Mag wad cutter wouldn't be my first choice either. Maybe a hollow pt
Hp wouldn't be enough penetration for me. Maybe some good Hornady... Those cast are knownn grizzly stoppers though. They would wreck that cat...granted I'd rather. have my semi .06 carbine...

When I was in college in the UP of Michigan well over 30 years ago I had one do almost a full circle around me at 25 yds right at dark near Crystal Falls. There was crunchy snow on the ground and I heard it coming. It was silhouetted against the snow when it walked into the opening where I could shoot and my first thought was it was a yearling so I put the bow back on the hanger but I thought the front shoulder rolled too much. . . then that tail came into view. Holy crap!!!! . . . I'd been in close proximity to many black bears by that point in my life and they didn't worry me much but this was something entirely different. Wow, that is a big cat!!! It walked a 270 degree arc around me and then moved off. It took me awhile to work up enough nerve to get out of the tree and by that point I'd convinced myself my eyes were playing tricks on me in the semi-dark. I walked over to a fallen tree it had walked down and there were cat tracks the size of my hand. I hustled my young butt out of there, When I met my hunting partner for the ride home he asked me what was wrong without me even beginning to tell the story. I guess my eyes were still bugging :).

I called the DNR the next day to report it and they actually laughed out loud at me over the phone. Later another buddy of ours fessed up he thought he'd seen one in the same area a week earlier but didn't say anything because he thought we'd all make fun of him. Now their presence has been documented there but back then everybody thought there was no way.

I almost stepped in a sleeping mountain lion (slight exaggeration it was at least 10 yards) in central CA a few years ago. I was bow hunting hogs and walking quickly up a dirt road at last light hoping to check one last spot. It took a few seconds for my brain to process what I was looking at. I instinctively knocked an arrow and drew my bow.

At some point during that process the cat heard me and was facing me in the crouched position by the time I hit anchor. After a ~15 second stand off it jumped into the brush. Those things are ninjas, I couldn’t even hear it land.

Two weeks later I saw another one, possibly the same cat. It was only a mile or so from the first. This time at a more comfortable distance of 80 yards. Oddly, those are the only two lions I’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was rushed/mock charged by a grizzly in Alaska..it stopped about 10 ft from me and stood on its hind quarters...my only weapon was a ski pole. I'd take that again any day over seeing one of these in close proximity in the woods.

Last edited:
I was rushed/mock charged by a grizzly in Alaska..it stopped about 10 ft from me and stood on its hind quarters...my only weapon was anski pole. I'd take that again any day over seeing one of these in close proximity in the woods.

wow! I don’t think I’d ever step foot in Alaska nor watch a discovery channel documentary about Alaska ever again.

I was rushed/mock charged by a grizzly in Alaska..it stopped about 10 ft from me and stood on its hind quarters...my only weapon was anski pole. I'd take that again any day over seeing one of these in close proximity in the woods.
He was probably downwind of your pants & lost his appetite......

I've fished the U.P Mich. all my life and have not seen one yet but did watch a female elk hunting in Colorado. Did have a Lynx walk by my saddle near Timmins Ont. That was real impressive also.

Back