• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ito Rocky Climbing Stop Descender Rappelling

Years ago Petzl had a device that was almost identical called the Stop. I had one and used it a good bit just for rappelling. It was nice because you simply let go to stop. You had some control on the descent by how much you feathered the handle down.

This device is pretty much the same so I imagine the rappel would be similar. It’s just bulky. Progress capture should be possible if you were wanting to use it during the climb but there would certainly be a greatly increased chance of banging it against things due to size.

Years ago Petzl had a device that was almost identical called the Stop. I had one and used it a good bit just for rappelling. It was nice because you simply let go to stop. You had some control on the descent by how much you feathered the handle down.

This device is pretty much the same so I imagine the rappel would be similar. It’s just bulky. Progress capture should be possible if you were wanting to use it during the climb but there would certainly be a greatly increased chance of banging it against things due to size.
Still exists https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/Belay-Devices-And-Descenders/STOP

@elk yinzer
If it's garbage, what do you recommend?
Maybe the Petzl STOP they ripped off, if that design is of interest to you? Heck they're probably made in the same factory but I don't participate in that economy. Seeing stuff like this makes me want to burn my Amazon accounts.

I'm happy with my safeguard but it depends on your needs. I wouldn't consider something that heavy. I would rappel from an ATC before I carried around an extra 20 or so grams.

@elk yinzer
I'm just doing a basic rappel out of a tree, so weight isn't that big of an issue. I've been looking at the F4 device and FCX device.

However, the older styles of the same type of rappel device works just fine, but everyone is going for a lighter weight model. That's fine, but I'm seeing these older devices for half the cost and they work just as well as the newer models. Some of these newer models are $120 to $150. o_O
Are they really worth the money difference for the same function? :confused:

I think it’s a mistake to skimp on quality and safety standards to save a few dollars with an unknown manufacturer using unknown materials, with unknown testing results.

Personally, I’d rather buy a name brand figure 8/rescue 8 that has been tested by an accredited facility and shown to be up to spec. Yeah it misses a little of the benefit of the other devices and isn’t as cool as newer devices. But it’s pedigreed and falling out of a tree over a bad mix of bottom price aluminum that’s being made on worn out tooling seems like a way worse potential than losing a little cool factor for the same money.

If you could get Petzl/madrock/etc to make a tree stand version that’s a little heavier, 3/4 the strength, and 1/2 the price, but went through lab testing to show it’s good enough for our use, I’d jump in. But buying unknown quality to save a few bucks seems like the way to get hurt. Those knock offs are “probably” good enough. But I don’t want to save $50-$70 on probably good enough. I’ll go with something simpler that is good enough or spend the extra and know I’m getting a much higher likelihood of a quality product that won’t fail.

I found a Petzl Stop, for $152 shipped. :)
I may just go with that device. The reviews are good and it appears to be their latest creation. :cool:

why not just go with the madrock? i dont know why so many people want to be different.....just get a madrock or gri gri +

Not an expert but if I recall the main reason you'd opt for a pulley or rack to decend is that they disapate heat better. They're also serviceable so people who rappel in dirty environmentscan repair rather than replace. For example, I think they're popular with cavers. ( edit cavers not covers)

I'm all for new rope related toys but I'm not sure there's benefits to this one for us 20' feet guys.

Really curious how you like it if you do end up with one!!

Last edited:
I was on a Fire Equipment website that has the Sterling FCX for $125. :cool:
I've watched several videos with this device and the operation is extremely simple, as is the setup.

I'm going to do some climbing with my Viper platform and rappel out with a Figure 8 and a prusik tender, just to see if this type of setup is for me, before making the purchase. :) This type of device will make the entire process easier.

Back