• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

John Eberhart Whitetail Workshops

USSHornet

SH Member
Mar 25, 2018
Kentucky
Steve in Ky here.

I went to John’s Workshop when he had it in the summer .. it was August 12 2017 weekend.

I was a bit anxious because I was flying solo and I assumed everyone would be there with their buddies.

I can not say enough good things about my experience. I drove up on Friday the hotel was excellent and the price was reasonable. I ran over to Jays Sporting Goods and checked it out, awesome place.

The next day we met at the farm and John showed us his setups and explained why. It was great we hit a local bar/food place for lunch and had a cheeseburger again just really good food and discussion with John and the other guys.

Sunday we went over scent control and lots of other in-house topics in the hotel conference room.

The town in Michigan reminded me of my hometown and trust me not many places remind me of home up north. Just great people great town very friendly folks.

The drive up was easy and not that long maybe 6-7 hours but I enjoy driving into new States.

I am thinking of attending again in 2023 because he is going over saddles. Last time he was still using that handmade girdle or whatever it was lol. Plus I like that he has moved them to earlier in the season so the trees will look more like during the rut.

For those of you thinking about attending this was my experience.

Steve in Ky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedutchtouch

SH Member
Oct 22, 2020
Maryland
I used to want to attend one of his talks, but the way he's been devolving on social media is turning me off, not sure why but he seems to be arguing with strangers for validation and getting in a PR back and forth with the scentlock vs beast fan clubs more and more.

Hopefully they hold value if you do attend, I just can't bring myself to pay that dude to talk any more after all the whining and arguing, I'd be to worried the seminar would devolve into the same. I'm a bit jaded at the moment though, likely it's a good quality content time.

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
I saw he posted this video this morning. I would love to go. It is just a 16 to 17 hour drive and I just can't do that. I absolutely hate to drive. Hate it. I looked into flights and that is where it gets pretty expensive. I would guess it would cost me $1200 or more just for airfare and hotel not including the seminar and I am an hour from even a regional airport.

I would love to go but getting to central Michigan would be a doozie for me.

USSHornet

SH Member
Mar 25, 2018
Kentucky
I used to want to attend one of his talks, but the way he's been devolving on social media is turning me off, not sure why but he seems to be arguing with strangers for validation and getting in a PR back and forth with the scentlock vs beast fan clubs more and more.

Hopefully they hold value if you do attend, I just can't bring myself to pay that dude to talk any more after all the whining and arguing, I'd be to worried the seminar would devolve into the same. I'm a bit jaded at the moment though, likely it's a good quality content time.

I get it but doesn’t that go both ways? I don’t know just asking my guess is John is defending himself against others throwing shade at him for his statement that he doesn’t worry about the wind because he trusts his scent regimen.

I know I have heard some well known and respected guys saying anyone that doesn’t play the wind is bla bla bla. I have not heard them call out John by name but its pretty obvious who they are being critical of. I lose respect for those guys too.

To me, John has proven his method works. The other point I would like to say is he started in saddles way before it was a thing and he has probably dealt with criticism for that vs tree stands for years but look today saddles are wildly popular.

I have no concern about the seminar turning into a social media war the last time I went he talked about his scent regimen but he gets that not everyone will adopt it. I do not use his approach (because its tuff) I play the wind and worry about entry and exit but I think even when we play the wind we have to be honest that there are times we can’t play the wind but we hunt anyway.

I support John and all the OG’s there is more than one way to be successful the sniping on all sides should stop but if John is being attacked I understand him defending himself.

thedutchtouch

SH Member
Oct 22, 2020
Maryland
I get it but doesn’t that go both ways? I don’t know just asking my guess is John is defending himself against others throwing shade at him for his statement that he doesn’t worry about the wind because he trusts his scent regimen.

I know I have heard some well known and respected guys saying anyone that doesn’t play the wind is bla bla bla. I have not heard them call out John by name but its pretty obvious who they are being critical of. I lose respect for those guys too.

To me, John has proven his method works. The other point I would like to say is he started in saddles way before it was a thing and he has probably dealt with criticism for that vs tree stands for years but look today saddles are wildly popular.

I have no concern about the seminar turning into a social media war the last time I went he talked about his scent regimen but he gets that not everyone will adopt it. I do not use his approach (because its tuff) I play the wind and worry about entry and exit but I think even when we play the wind we have to be honest that there are times we can’t play the wind but we hunt anyway.

I support John and all the OG’s there is more than one way to be successful the sniping on all sides should stop but if John is being attacked I understand him defending himself.

Agreed, it does go both ways... To an extent. In my opinion as the celebrity he has the responsibility to rise above. But 100 agreed that the general public seems to have devolved. I'd love to talk to him one on one where there's no chance of a back and forth as I wouldn't be a baiting troll... But I don't think I can afford that lol. Anyhow, back on topic, I also wonder how seminars compare to books for people that have published many like John has. Obviously seminars can be updated and stay current (don't think he has a saddle hunting book but I could be wrong) where that process is harder for a book...

Reactions: USSHornet

USSHornet

SH Member
Mar 25, 2018
Kentucky
I saw he posted this video this morning. I would love to go. It is just a 16 to 17 hour drive and I just can't do that. I absolutely hate to drive. Hate it. I looked into flights and that is where it gets pretty expensive. I would guess it would cost me $1200 or more just for airfare and hotel not including the seminar and I am an hour from even a regional airport.

I would love to go but getting to central Michigan would be a doozie for me.

Gotcha that is understandable. I don’t know what the 2023 price would be but the seminar in 2017 was about 1/3 the price of some OG’s I have heard from others. John’s was a 2 day event showing actual setups and he goes over why he chose the location he even got in a tree to show how he climbs. One I went to this summer was 1 day and quite a bit more money and it was just equipment related ( but I knew this going in ).

USSHornet

SH Member
Mar 25, 2018
Kentucky
Agreed, it does go both ways... To an extent. In my opinion as the celebrity he has the responsibility to rise above. But 100 agreed that the general public seems to have devolved. I'd love to talk to him one on one where there's no chance of a back and forth as I wouldn't be a baiting troll... But I don't think I can afford that lol. Anyhow, back on topic, I also wonder how seminars compare to books for people that have published many like John has. Obviously seminars can be updated and stay current (don't think he has a saddle hunting book but I could be wrong) where that process is harder for a book...

I sent him an email before I signed up for the seminar in 2017 expecting him to reply but he called me on my cell and I was at work but able to talk. I was shocked like I am talking to John Eberhart we talked about an hour or 45 minutes I kid you not and it was NOT about selling me on attending. It was just a call and he asked me about hunting KY the way I hunt (archery only) my saddle experience Turkey hunting when the RUT starts in KY. He never tried to sell me the seminar. When the call ended I was not 100% attending but over the next day or so I decided to attend and made my reservation.

I am pretty sure he would talk to you he gives out his ph number at the seminar.

If you emailed him and wanted to talk before making your decision I am pretty sure he would answer anything you asked even if you decide not to go.

deerjohn51@gmail.com is the contact he gave in the seminar promotion YouTube.

I hear you on social media and the breakdown we are seeing in Americans v Americans its sad to see. My Dad fought in WWII at 17 in the Navy to defend our Freedom and this is what we do with it.

Last edited:

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
Gotcha that is understandable. I don’t know what the 2023 price would be but the seminar in 2017 was about 1/3 the price of some OG’s I have heard from others. John’s was a 2 day event showing actual setups and he goes over why he chose the location he even got in a tree to show how he climbs. One I went to this summer was 1 day and quite a bit more money and it was just equipment related ( but I knew this going in ).

Yeah, the cost of the seminar is not the problem for me. It is the getting from Mississippi to Michigan that is the issue, lol. The part I would really like to see first hand is the actual tree set ups and discuss tree selection and entries and exits, boots on the ground. A lot of this has been covered in the last year or two on his channel and there is a wealth of information there. For instance, this video he goes over setting up a tree in a swamp post season. Post season scouting, finding and setting up a Maple in a bedding area - YouTube

Then. if you notice, he hunts this spot in this video 81. Hunt-all day sit in a swamp, filmed 7 bucks and 2 does, also clearing the social media air - YouTube

Between the books, which I have and have read all of, and the videos, you can pick up a lot if you pay attention.

I would still love to go to the seminar. It would sort of be the difference in taking an online class and taking an in person class. For me, I get more out of in person classes. I always have.

There will always be folks who categorically deny that scent control works (if you work it). That's fine. There will always be folks who say don't hunt out of a tree saddle because you will pee on your boots. That's fine too. I've got no problem with tree stands or guys who count on playing the wind. I used to play the wind exclusively. It played me quite often too and there were places that I simply could not hunt. At some point that got really old. Every once in a while, I almost miss hearing does blowing at me, lol.

It all boils down to finding what works for you and having fun.

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
If you don't mind me asking, what hotel would you recommend in that area?
When I looked at the seminar information, I believe he recommends a couple of local hotels that are close to the first day location for convenience.

Reactions: USSHornet

USSHornet

SH Member
Mar 25, 2018
Kentucky
If you don't mind me asking, what hotel would you recommend in that area?

I stayed at the one he sends with the attendance info, it was nice but reasonable clean good food. Sorry it was 2017 and I can’t recall the name but am sure he would send you the suggested name if you email him deerjohn51@gmail.com

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
Yeah, I don't mind someone laying out their credentials. It's sort of like if I was a high school football coach and had the opportunity to go hang out with any SEC head coach for two days and learn some tricks. If the couch wants to talk about some bowl game wins, that's fine by me.

Topdog

SH Member
Jun 5, 2020
I personally know a couple local legends very well, they too enjoy their time in the spotlight, most come off as arrogant and could give two craps about anyone else or their feelings.. that’s just the way it is, it’s hard to be humble when your very good at something others so regularly struggle at, the internet is ripe with some of the most ridiculous deer hunting advice I have ever seen, this forum included, I don’t blame anyone for touting how many big bucks they have killed, it’s to establish credibility in a time when so much of that is nonexistent, all a person needs now is a working finger, phone, internet service and one good line of BS and they too can be famous online, old school guys like John only know one thing… it’s the horns that matters and nothing else, and nobody will ever stop them from trying to kill more and bigger deer, people like that are driven to succeed, a person can choose to listen to their advice along with the bragging or not, it’s that simple, either way he will not care and still be after a trophy buck next year.