• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kansas Hunt 2023

shmelton

SH Member
I have the pleasure of taking 2 of my clients hunting in KS every yr. We always go from the last Sat in Oct to the 1st Sat in Nov. This yr was quite an adventure! The wether was cold, and windy which kept the deer on their feet most of the week.

The 1st afternoon one of my customers had a very close encounter with a huge 9 that came into his set up, but chased off a doe before he could enter his shooting lane. This put him on a mission to kill this deer. He chased this 9 for 3 whole days before connecting with a 145” 8 point that he just couldn’t pass up. I mean who would pass up a buck like that
e3631b1080d7b295a8e00b2fc3bd2a26.jpeg

Unfortunately, he hit him a little low, and back so we gave him the night to die. When we found the deer early the next morning Yotes had gotten to him.

My 2nd customer had been hunting a deer that we were weren’t getting any daylight pic of. The evening he killed he actually snort wheezed at another buck that was a shooter. The buck he snort wheezed at ran off when this bruiser came running into the set up. He made the shot at 35 yds out of a blind. The deer ran 40 yds and piled up over an old pond dam. This was his 1st archery buck, and he scored 172”. Not bad for your 1st archery buck huh? The buck had 5-1/2” bases and 25”+ main beams.
70b76ccdb079e4bbc81065243fa69a31.jpg

Me, I hunted the same buck I hunted last yr, until the wind shifted, and I didn’t have a set up for him. I switched to another farm that had a really nice 8, and 14 showing up every evening. I have an affinity for big 8’s. To me there is nothing better! At 6:30pm on Nov 1 the neighboring farmer came through with a Combineabout 30 yds from my set up. I was in a tree on the property line facing the cut beam field they were coming in to. The Combine threw up so much dust I could t see into the field any more. About 5 mins later I heard a deep grunt in the field. I got my bino’s up, and could make the 8 out about 55 yds away eating cut beans. I gave the dust a few more minutes to settle, snort wheezed, and he came in on a string. I drew my bow when he started moving my way. He stood in my shooting lane facing me for what seems like an eternity. When he finally turned I let the arrow go. Unfortunately, I skipped the arrow off a limb I could no longer see grazing his belly shaving white hair off of him, but no blood. The next morning he was back chasing does, but I was never able to make it work out.

All in all we had a blast! I saw a bunch of good deer, and had a great time with some good friends who I am able to work with on a daily basis. I can’t wait to get back out to the farm next yr. Who knows, I may head back out the week after Christmas for a late season hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back