• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestral Sizing

Catskills

Looking to purchase my first set up soon and going to go with the Kestral after reading reviews and listening to the podcast. I am curious about what size you guys are using. I am a 36" waist, 5'11 and not a fan of clothes or anything being too tight. Thinking of going with the bigger size (>38") . Anybody else who is borderline decide to go bigger?

I know on the podcast Red Squirrel mentions he preferred the bigger size. Red squirrel, are you right on the border too so the bigger one is more comfortable? Btw, the podcast is great!

I am 37-38 and I ordered size 2 and I am happy I would go 2 this way if you are bundled up with clothing it will still fit

Looking to purchase my first set up soon and going to go with the Kestral after reading reviews and listening to the podcast. I am curious about what size you guys are using. I am a 36" waist, 5'11 and not a fan of clothes or anything being too tight. Thinking of going with the bigger size (>38") . Anybody else who is borderline decide to go bigger?

I know on the podcast Red Squirrel mentions he preferred the bigger size. Red squirrel, are you right on the border too so the bigger one is more comfortable? Btw, the podcast is great!

I think the consensus has been to go with the size two. I'm big enough that there was no question. I thin RS is about your size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am leaning toward the size 2 for sure. I was actually thinking about that before hearing it mentioned on the podcast so if most people are leaning that way I am going to follow suit. thanks guys for the confirmation

If you got one you didn't like, you could probably find someone on here to sell to or to trade with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a size 42 waist, tried on the Size 2 kestrel Saturday and it fit fine. I did not hang in it, so I can't speak about pinch, and I worry a bit about layering, but at a 36 or 38, you'll have inches to spare and be fine.

Thank you!

I'm 5"7" with a 36" waist. I wore the size 1 for a month and a half but I'm much happier in a size 2.

I would go with a size 2.

Hmmm I’m 34” waist and just ordered a size 1. Should I try and swap it out with a size 2?

Hmmm I’m 34” waist and just ordered a size 1. Should I try and swap it out with a size 2?

I am a size 34 waist and the 1 has worked for me.. I haven't tried a size 2 for comparison though...

Ok, thanks! I will give it a shot

Im about your size and i would suggest a size 2. I had a size 1 for a season and could not get comfortable in it. Switched to a size 2 and couldn’t be happier.

Im about your size and i would suggest a size 2. I had a size 1 for a season and could not get comfortable in it. Switched to a size 2 and couldn’t be happier.

Curious to know your height, weight, and waist size? I am 5'11", 180 lbs, 35" waist and my butt is "big" in proportion to my frame. I recently received my size 1 kestrel and have played around with it twice but it just doesn't seem to adequately cover my butt which then necessitates me pulling it down low. I spoke with Aero Hunter and I'm still within my timeframe to return it for a size 2 if I'd like to. I just don't want to be swallowed up by a size 2. Your thoughts?

Here's a pic of it riding a bit low in order to fill like I'm not leaning forward but without the backband, I'm not sure if it wouldn't have me leaning backwards.
IMG_2729.jpg

Last edited:
Great topic! I am contemplating the order right now and doing all the reading up I can. I’m a 34” waist, 6’3”, 220lb....small waist, but dad-bod belly! Lol I like to layer when hunting to stay warm and comfortable for all day sets. Will be watching more replies, but thinking the size 2 may be the way to go, to accommodate the thicker, late season gear.

My vote would be bigger, I can’t really see a negative for the seat being a touch bigger. Especially if your a bit taller. Biggest thing I could see is tether hookups would be slightly out from your hips if you don’t completely fill out the seat of the saddle. No big deal, maybe shorter bridge is all.

Curious to know your height, weight, and waist size? I am 5'11", 180 lbs, 35" waist and my butt is "big" in proportion to my frame. I recently received my size 1 kestrel and have played around with it twice but it just doesn't seem to adequately cover my butt which then necessitates me pulling it down low. I spoke with Aero Hunter and I'm still within my timeframe to return it for a size 2 if I'd like to. I just don't want to be swallowed up by a size 2. Your thoughts?

Here's a pic of it riding a bit low in order to fill like I'm not leaning forward but without the backband, I'm not sure if it wouldn't have me leaning backwards.
View attachment 4271
I'm 5'7" 180 pounds size 36 waist. I started with the 1 and I was ok but it wasn't perfect. I am much happier with the 2. I think you would have to be a pretty small guy for the 2 to be too big on you. The only thing that is too big is the length of the waist belt which is no big deal.

FWIW I still always move my saddle down from the waist position for walking for hanging. It needs to ride lower on my butt for comfort when hanging.

I’m 5’10” size 36 waist 210 lbs and I ordered a size 1. I received it after I had tagged out so I did not hunt out of it but did sit in it on a tree in my yard. I’m brand new to using a saddle but tried using all of the suggestions regarding adjustments from this site and it never felt comfortable. I ordered a size 2 and it feels much more comfortable. If you’re close on size, I’d order the size 2. Good luck!

View attachment 4271

Im 5’10” 215lbs with a 35 inch waist. I had the size 1 originally and it work during early season if i didnt wear much as the season progressed it became uncomfortable more and more. I have been in my size 2 for a month now with light and heavy layers and it is 100x better. Im a leaner and a sitter so im exposed to alot of different positions and adjust my kestrel on the fly for these. I don’t use a back band i have tried it but it just doesn’t seem to do much for me. Honestly you have to be small like a racing jockey for the size 1 in my opinion lol!! If i were you a size 2 might be more up your alley based on your measurements. However time tells all and you have to put that in to know whats gonna work based on feel.

I'm trying to find a downside of going with the bigger size 2 and cannot. Im 5'7" 190 and i think the size 2 fits great. I have to admit i have not spent much time in the Kestrel yet

I’m 5’10” size 36 waist 210 lbs and I ordered a size 1. I received it after I had tagged out so I did not hunt out of it but did sit in it on a tree in my yard. I’m brand new to using a saddle but tried using all of the suggestions regarding adjustments from this site and it never felt comfortable. I ordered a size 2 and it feels much more comfortable. If you’re close on size, I’d order the size 2. Good luck!

I am about the same size so going to go with a 2. Thank you for the input

Reactions: DKI
Back