• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel & Accessories organizing

Pxt

So, how are guys packing and organizing your ropes and accessories?. How are you guys pulling up your bow's, packs, platforms, clothing? What's the most we can pack on the kestrel itself. Thanks for input!

I won't have anything on it while hunting. Maybe a couple pouches for a saw, ameristep platform and my tether. Stuff that I need on the way up before settling in. Once settled in and my backpack and bow are up and ready, I'll take the pouches off and put in the main compartment of my backpack.
Replace before climbing down, then once on the ground roll the saddle and pouches all up together and put back in main compartment of backpack for the hike out. That has pretty much been my system for a while.

I won't have anything on it while hunting. Maybe a couple pouches for a saw, ameristep platform and my tether. Stuff that I need on the way up before settling in. Once settled in and my backpack and bow are up and ready, I'll take the pouches off and put in the main compartment of my backpack.
Replace before climbing down, then once on the ground roll the saddle and pouches all up together and put back in main compartment of backpack for the hike out. That has pretty much been my system for a while.

Where do you keep your haul line?

On the way in I put it in my backpack I have a carry bag that I got from new tribe which has my tether my steps that I put on the tree with the ratchet strap. I hook my pull-up strap onto my backpack and put it on my carry bag which is clipped to my Kestrel and an automatic real is hook to my backpack and my bow. I bought my pack first then I pull up my bow and put it on a hanger. My ropes are all daisy chain. So all I have hanging off of my Kestrel his my bag with my tether and steps.

Where do you keep your haul line?

My pull up rope is attached to the outside of my back pack. It has a grapple hook on one end. When I get to the tree I tie one end around my belt and hook the grapple to my backpack. I climb up. Put on platform. Get on it. Install tether and bridge. Pull up backpack hang it. Grapple hook bow and hang it. Wrap up pull rope and put in backpack.

What pouches are you using that attach/detach easily? The ones I have are a PITA to thread through the kestrel molle loops. I couldn't imagine trying to fish them back on to the kestrel either on stand or in the field.

Segue into another problem... with a molle pouch for both my tree strap and my linemans belt my kestrel wants to sag and pull down, even with the waist belt cinched all the way up. I'd love to ditch the pouches, though they sure are handy when climbing and getting setup initially.

Anyone have a better method?

D rek, I would order the kit that new tribe put out with the Molle attachment pieces. Makes booking things up easy. Not sure how otherwise unless using small biners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do have a quick question. For long walks to your tree, do you guys wear your Kestrel or pack it in?

Thanks!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do have a quick question. For long walks to your tree, do you guys wear your Kestrel or pack it in?

Thanks!
I always wear my saddle. I think it is an advantage because When I'm wearing it it feels like nothing is there and its extra weight is minimal. Plus I wear it every single time I hunt, so I pretty much feel naked without it.

This saddle wears well when walking. Just cinch waist and leg straps tight.

Thanks!

I tucked it into the frame pack I wore in the other day. I have wore it in with the molle pouches for linemans belt and free tether but feel it does sag if you don’t cinch it up super tight.

I wear my saddle. I only carry my tether and Linesmans belt on it full time.

I have an empty pouch on the back for my strap platform, saw, pruners while climbing. Pouch on my right always has my linesman's belt. Pouch on left always has tether. I always have something to stand on (stirrups, Sling or platform) I always have something to attach to the tree (PAS, Sling, Tether, LB). Putting that stuff in your pack can you leave you stranded.

My haul line is attached to my pack and I hook my bow to it at the same time. Coming down with a long rope, the top of the haul line is my rope retrieval too.

In the tree I use my empty pouches for my phone, glasses, gloves, layers...whatever. I don't find them to be bulky or distracting. I like being able to get to my main items with minimal movement and noise. While climbing, I like to be able to get to climbing items IMMEDIATELY.

May not be applicable to the kestrel but I use the Aero Hunter. I throw the linesmen belt over my neck and use it like suspenders. Had a problem with my saddle sagging down while walking in. I just have a haul line I tie on my bow and clip on an accessory loop. I wear my backpack and have my platform strapped to it as I climb up. All I haul up is my bow.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

My bridge I tuck into the waist strap , the linesman belt I leave the carabiner attached to the left "D" loop , pull my ropeman to the midway point on the rope and attach the right carabiner to the left D loop , then I have a loop tied on the right side of the linesman rope and then take that loop and attach it to the carabiner on the ropeman ... I have hiked miles in my Evo and Kestrel and hardly know the linesman belt is there , the main lead rope I put in my backpack until I get to height and then get it.

I have tried and tried to wear a pack and actually had a pack in the tree earlier this season but now I'm back to 2 small mole pouches on the Kestrel. I used 1 inch webbing to make attachments for the suspenders. My pull up rope it's in the middle of the saddle (back).1 pouch has range finder and strap on the hook other pouch has gutting gloves tags ect. Bottle of water in a cargo pocket. I strap my steps to my sticks with a small rubber strap from lonewolf

Back