• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel bridge

Nick Grider

has anyone else found that the stock bridge seems too long and it’s more effective tying a figure 8 and making it around 8 inches shorter?

has anyone else found that the stock bridge seems too long and it’s more effective tying a figure 8 and making it around 8 inches shorter?
Bridge length is entirely dependent on the person and their body size, A guy with a 40 inch waist might not like a small bridge like a guy with a 28 inch waist due to hip pinch!

I have a 40 inch waist and shortened mine about a foot. The figure 8 works great for that since it doesn’t cinch down like some knots it is easy to play with different lengths. @Boudreaux had a huge part in developing the kestrel and the long bridge is what he liked. He also used a higher tie in than most people so the long bridge works good for him.

first thing I did was take that bridge off. the age much better materials and ways to attach them.

I followed @g2outdoors tutorial on making a bridge out of amsteel blue. Only thing I did differently was splice it onto the Kestrel on one side (my 'strong' side) and put a carabiner on the other spliced end. I don't really like stepping into the saddle like a prom dress, hence the carabiner on one side.

You'll be amazed at how much bulk is cut out by switching to an amsteel bridge.

Most people land in the 24-30" range for their bridge. I like a 30" with a shorter tether.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I only know 1 person who likes their bridge that long. Most guys like it shorter so if you think it is too long try shortening it.

That was my experience. The very long bridge was comfortable in terms of minimal hip pinch, but I had to move the friction knot so far up the tether to compensate that it was impractical.

I'm not sure how much I ended up shortening the bridge, but it was significant.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bridge length is entirely dependent on the person and their body size, A guy with a 40 inch waist might not like a small bridge like a guy with a 28 inch waist due to hip pinch!
I use an adjustable bridge. I put a ropeman on the bridge and hook into the prusik above the ropeman. Maybe I just might make my bridge 26" long and keep it that length. That's what I like but then again I do like to have the ability to adjust it.

I use an adjustable bridge. I put a ropeman on the bridge and hook into the prusik above the ropeman. Maybe I just might make my bridge 26" long and keep it that length. That's what I like but then again I do like to have the ability to adjust it.
I use a adjustable bridge as well, Works good!

I think adjustable is the way to go, tied a prussic knot on mine and flip it over my shoulders

What kind of knots are y’all tying your bridge on? I’ve got figure 8 knots on both ends, thats just the way it came to me. But they are super bulky, are there any smaller knots I could tie my bridge on with?

What kind of knots are y’all tying your bridge on? I’ve got figure 8 knots on both ends, thats just the way it came to me. But they are super bulky, are there any smaller knots I could tie my bridge on with?
I ordered rope spliced on one end and the other end I tied a prusik knot to the loop making it adjustable

I just found this thread and agree the kestrel bridge is the only thing I don't like about it. Send like a lot of unnecessary bulk. Can you order a amsteel bridge anywhere already spliced?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I’ve been playin around with my bridge length on my kestral. Shortened it by 14” or so but then had to lengthen it a bit due to hip pinch. Now I’m worried that if G2 ever sends my Mantis the fixed AmSteel bridge is gonna be too short. What length is it anyway 20”?

Back