• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel test climb - suggestions to get me dialed in are welcome

MJH

SH Member
I just got my saddle this past week, so I am 100% new to this.

I did a test climb with my Kestrel today and the Stepp Ladder. A few observations:
- I felt totally secure in the saddle, both on the linesman belt and tether.
- I need some practice with the Stepp ladder. They were good, but I set them up inconsistently - It was obvious when I got them set right.
- Setting up a three stepp ladder platform was a bit tricky. Again I need practice on that.
- I was using the wild edge aider which was good. Once again I need some practice on getting the spacing right between steppes so that the aider can cover the gaps.
- Knee pads seem necessary
- I am not sure if my bridge is too long. In order to get into what I felt was my best position required my ropeman to be way up my tether near the girth hitch. That left me with a feeling that my freedom to move around the tree was restricted. I am 6'3" and 220lbs, so I'd like to have some breathing room in the saddle. Do you think I should shorten the bridge a bit and test, or am I imagining this problem (I had the girth hitch set slightly above my head)?
- it took me about +30 min to get up to 25' with a three stepp platform, and I wasn't quiet doing it.

This is really nice gear which I am sure I am going to get to work for me.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Try your bridge about eye level and leave your tether a little longer. I like my saddle kind of snug to me that way. freedom to move really comes from your tether.

Reactions: MJH
Maybe get your bridge and tether height and platform dialed in at ground level and work on climbing after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my saddle this past week, so I am 100% new to this.

I did a test climb with my Kestrel today and the Stepp Ladder. A few observations:
- I felt totally secure in the saddle, both on the linesman belt and tether.
- I need some practice with the Stepp ladder. They were good, but I set them up inconsistently - It was obvious when I got them set right.
- Setting up a three stepp ladder platform was a bit tricky. Again I need practice on that.
- I was using the wild edge aider which was good. Once again I need some practice on getting the spacing right between steppes so that the aider can cover the gaps.
- Knee pads seem necessary
- I am not sure if my bridge is too long. In order to get into what I felt was my best position required my ropeman to be way up my tether near the girth hitch. That left me with a feeling that my freedom to move around the tree was restricted. I am 6'3" and 220lbs, so I'd like to have some breathing room in the saddle. Do you think I should shorten the bridge a bit and test, or am I imagining this problem (I had the girth hitch set slightly above my head)?
- it took me about +30 min to get up to 25' with a three stepp platform, and I wasn't quiet doing it.

This is really nice gear which I am sure I am going to get to work for me.

Any suggestions are welcome.
The bridge comes from aero hunter very long. Most guys are shortening it down to somewhere around 24-30 inches.

Maybe get your bridge and tether height and platform dialed in at ground level and work on climbing after that.

I did an initial setup on steps just above ground level. At the time it seemed decent. When I setup again at height I came to realize that things were quite where I wanted. I'll go through that ground level exercise again.

Cheers

The bridge comes from aero hunter very long. Most guys are shortening it down to somewhere around 24-30 inches.

Red squirrel is it easy to shorten, just a re-tie of the bridge?

There are a variety of options:
Retie it shorter
Make an amsteel bridge
Buy a 24 inch climbing strap (loop) from rei and use biners on each end

The bridge is easy to shorten. I shortened mine several times as I got into “saddle shape” I found I could shorten it more and more. You really have to experiment with your setup until you find the perfect setup for you. As far as the wild edge steps go it gets better and better the more you use them. Stepps and spurs are are two climbing methods that are great once you learn to use them. The learning curve is steep but rewarding once you figure them out.

Yes, I would just re-tie the knot on the carabiner to make it shorter if you're using the biner, otherwise just tie the knot on one side of the bridge to make it shorter.

Back