• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kids hunting in saddles?

pinebarens

Just had my 10 son put on kesteral size 1 and everything tightened up nice and snug . its going to be his first year hunting just looking for input from all the experienced saddle hunters here... i need to hunt with for the next 4 years
So just thinking a lot less crap to drag in and out of the woods if i put him in a saddle.. thanks pinebarrens

Mines 12 and says he wants to bow hunt next year. I’m thinking saddle too. So far it’s just been rifle hunts from ground blinds and double ladderstands.

I don't see why not. Start him off slowly on the ground to get him comfortable. You will be with him for the next 4 years to keep an eye on him and make sure he learns the ropes safely. In 4 years he'll probably be showing you a thing or two lol.

FYI when I was a kid my father used to hang behind me in his anderson tree sling when I was a shooter. We didn't have youth days back then so he used to let me skip school on the first day of shotgun doe days.

My son will be using a small trophyline next year at the age of ten. He's already been swinging from trees with it and should be fine in it with some sort of platform to stand on. I can't wait to get him out there. With some practice I'm sure your son will do great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought my 15 yr old son an Evolution from the classifieds on here. But at 15 he's 6' 2" and 165 lbs so not sure I can consider him a 'kid' anymore, at least as far as saddle fit goes.

Just had my 10 son put on kesteral size 1 and everything tightened up nice and snug . its going to be his first year hunting just looking for input from all the experienced saddle hunters here... i need to hunt with for the next 4 years
So just thinking a lot less crap to drag in and out of the woods if i put him in a saddle.. thanks pinebarrens

But my son was 12 that was the age she could hunt in PA back at that time I used to love to hang on stands into the woods she got a little older we used to use climbers together he never got into the saddles. I tried to get him to use Treesuit when they first came out but he wouldn't go for it I wish he would have he doesn't know what he's missing . Good luck with your son.

mine age 9 and 4 both want their own....some day just not today.... My littlest who is tougher than a lighter knot would probably unhook and jump down just to see how it felt.

Back