• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kifaru Stryker and Frame

4090Sharps

SH Member
Taking some inspiration from @LeanMachine early this spring, I began working (in fits and starts) on making myself a Kifaru Duplex Lite frame. This week I finally made a pack for it. I settled on a Stryker bag for the time being, but have a couple custom designs in my brain that I would like to bring to the real world--time permitting. The slim profile of this bag is really nice, and it doesn't collapse on itself like so many otherbags do. If you're in the market for a good load carrying pack, unless Mystery Ranch comes up with a better whitetail pack soon, I don't think you would be going wrong with the Kifaru Stryker.

I took a design cue from the Mystery Ranch Treehouse (amazing bag, but with some critical weaknesses) and made the front panel pocket accessible from the interior as a flip down gear pocket. Now it serves as an easily accessible location to set a call or rangefinder.

The frame is 22" and made of 1/16" HDPE sheet with carbon fiber arrow stays. Since this will mostly be used for whitetails and pigs, I didn't see much use for going up to the Kifaru standard 1/8". A Singer 211G165 and later a Juki 1541S were used for the majority of the work you see here, with a Singer 20U33 serving as a poor man's bartacker. When the opportunity comes along, I would really like to get one of the Juki 1900 heavy duty electronic bartackers.....

Since Kifaru is Swahili for rhino (as seen in their logo), I opted to adorn my pack with the slower, fatter, yet deadlier hippo; Kiboko.

If any of you guys are feeling even a slight inclination to try something like this out, just go for it! The sewing is the easy part, it's the planning, layout, and order of operations that can be challenging and takes me the most time. So you can start on the hard part now, even if you don't have access to a sewing machine.

Oh, yeah, also made the Gun Bearer seen hanging off the right hand side with some Hypalon and webbing. Total weight with the frame, pack, and Gun Bearer is 5lb 3oz.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice clean work! Well done amigo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thank you for demonstrating that it was doable!!!

I should also mention that besides @LeanMachine the genesis of this project and my sewing was an intense love for and dissatisfaction in the Mystery Ranch Pop Up series and MR Treehouse (and MR use of non-standard buckles for modularity). The former being maneuverable and great carrying a load but mostly miserable in the tree. The latter miserable to carry with any weight, but a dream in the tree.

I meant to take a bunch of pictures during construction of the pack, but kind of went into autopilot and failed to do so. Here's one of the couple I did take.
binding.png

That's really impressive. I wish I had that skill. I'd make an ultraight adjustable frame pack with a 35 liter fleece bag and plenty of pockets all in the right places.

@LeanMachine or any other Stryker(ish) owners...

Have you guys added anything to your packs to make it even more open in the tree? I'm going to add a small diameter removable fiberglass or carbon fiber crossmember above the upper pocket zipper to help keep the back flat when in backpack mode. Were I to make another, I might make it with a pocket for a removable sheet frame.

stand.jpg

I have not had mine in a tree yet. However i intend to run mine one a frame. I need to make a 22" frame sheet. Can just move over my shoulder straps and belt. I need a way to attcah it to the frame similar to how most bags attach. Or a way to attach with no slop to the molle panel.

I have not had mine in a tree yet. However i intend to run mine one a frame. I need to make a 22" frame sheet. Can just move over my shoulder straps and belt. I need a way to attcah it to the frame similar to how most bags attach. Or a way to attach with no slop to the molle panel.

Using a frame would mostly negate the need for a cross member mod, but when I'm not too far from the car it's nice not having the extra bulk.

If we had put a row or two of webbing across the back of the pack, we could have used a couple MOLLE sticks to secure the bag to the panel.... Wish I had thought of that before just now...

Using a frame would mostly negate the need for a cross member mod, but when I'm not too far from the car it's nice not having the extra bulk.

If we had put a row or two of webbing across the back of the pack, we could have used a couple MOLLE sticks to secure the bag to the panel.... Wish I had thought of that before just now...
I have been known to bust out a seam ripper when needed!

@LeanMachine or any other Stryker(ish) owners...

Have you guys added anything to your packs to make it even more open in the tree? I'm going to add a small diameter removable fiberglass or carbon fiber crossmember above the upper pocket zipper to help keep the back flat when in backpack mode. Were I to make another, I might make it with a pocket for a removable sheet frame.

View attachment 37835

Does the pack get in the way of your legs/knees?

Does the pack get in the way of your legs/knees?

What I found is that in backpack mode (no frame), when set at the right level, the rolled up cargo panel underneath the bag makes a perfect light knee cushion. I mostly lean, so never bring or wear knee pads.

What I found is that in backpack mode (no frame), when set at the right level, the rolled up cargo panel underneath the bag makes a perfect light knee cushion. I mostly lean, so never bring or wear knee pads.
Thats a great idea. I frequently forget a knee pad.

That is awesome some serious skills. I been toying with making my own pack as I’m not happy with any one on the market for my needs. Closes one is the alps little bear I just need a few design changes then I will be happy. Don’t want the big bear version just something in between I need to make the back straps somewhat stiffer around the shoulder blades to be able to carry a RR with out collapsing. Slowly working in it but still haven’t figured out what and how to make it stiffer yet

That is awesome some serious skills. I been toying with making my own pack as I’m not happy with any one on the market for my needs. Closes one is the alps little bear I just need a few design changes then I will be happy. Don’t want the big bear version just something in between I need to make the back straps somewhat stiffer around the shoulder blades to be able to carry a RR with out collapsing. Slowly working in it but still haven’t figured out what and how to make it stiffer yet

Do you have pictures of which part you need to reinforce?

Do you have pictures of which part you need to reinforce?
In between the rulers I would like it stiffer. I thought about putting webbing in the other side so it wouldn’t be seen. I’m getting ready to take the seam ripper to those buckles and replace them with a male and female piece with a strap that way I could attatch my platform to it as I walk in and when I’m 1 sticking 7666B4DC-FC08-4DB7-A404-740DC7D0AD2A.jpeg

In between the rulers I would like it stiffer. I thought about putting webbing in the other side so it wouldn’t be seen. I’m getting ready to take the seam ripper to those buckles and replace them with a male and female piece with a strap that way I could attatch my platform to it as I walk in and when I’m 1 sticking View attachment 37990

Not sure on the best way to stiffen that part up, but you could always cut the old buckle off, and use a removable buckle so you don't have to tear everything up.

Deep deep sigh. I want to build a pack. Lean Machjne always makes me jealous on here and Rokslide. I just can’t figure out how to lay it all out without an example on hand. I can follow patterns and can stitch saddles etc without a guideline, but creating like this with so many layers and features is more like
sculpting marble haha. I’m intimidated.

I just can’t figure out how to lay it all out without an example on hand.

Big sheets of paper, cheap fabric for mock ups, and one piece at a time.

This one was made easy because Kifaru provides pretty much every dimension.

Back