• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee Pad Suggestions

ForesterDave

Looking for light weight, quiet, comfortable Knee pads. Lots of Knee Pads on the market today! What pads are you guys using?

In before flood of Arcteryx recommendations! Ha!

I'm trying out cheapo mil surplus shop kneepads, but I'm keeping an eye out for a sale on Arcteryx as well, since everyone who gets them loves them (or won't admit to not being in love because they paid so much for them :) )

https://www.amazon.com/Arcteryx-Kne...1524577683&sr=8-3&keywords=arcteryx+knee+pads

In general, the product requirements tend to be buckles, not velco (quiet to put on/off and adjust). Not noisy against tree bark. Stay where you attach them. Comfortable enough to wear in so you don't have 1 more thing to put on at the tree.

The Arcteryx pads are nice if you value light weight over your wallet lol. If your wallet is more important, go with some inexpensive pads from Home Depot. I used the same pair from HD from 2009-2016. They never let me down. The tradeoff for low price was about triple the weight and bulk.

So, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what works for you. There are lots of good options out there. Avoid velcro. That's it.

I choose the Arcteryx option because weight and bulk really matter to me.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

In before flood of Arcteryx recommendations! Ha!

I'm trying out cheapo mil surplus shop kneepads, but I'm keeping an eye out for a sale on Arcteryx as well, since everyone who gets them loves them (or won't admit to not being in love because they paid so much for them :) )

https://www.amazon.com/Arcteryx-Kne...1524577683&sr=8-3&keywords=arcteryx+knee+pads

In general, the product requirements tend to be buckles, not velco (quiet to put on/off and adjust). Not noisy against tree bark. Stay where you attach them. Comfortable enough to wear in so you don't have 1 more thing to put on at the tree.

Is grip on the tree a factor? Do some guys wear the pads under their hunting pants for added noise reduction or grip to a slippery bark (American Beech or Red Maple)? Without having done this before, I would assume a hard plastic Knee cover would be slippery on the tree.
Thoughts?

Yes, grip can be a thing on some barks, in the rain, etc... but in combination with a platform or ring of steps or furniture brackets on a ratchet strap etc.. you'll probably be using your feet more to position yourself than your knees when it counts most (making a shot). I know some guys have said they wear them under their top layer. That makes sense for noise... depends what kind of kneepad you're using. Honestly, I've only had mine on the outside so far and have only done test sits since making my saddle, so I don't know what I'll like most yet.

Experiment!

The Arcteryx pads are nice if you value light weight over your wallet lol. If your wallet is more important, go with some inexpensive pads from Home Depot. I used the same pair from HD from 2009-2016. They never let me down. The tradeoff for low price was about triple the weight and bulk.

So, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what works for you. There are lots of good options out there. Avoid velcro. That's it.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I am definitely the type of person that likes to do it right from the beginning. I learned from years of buying cheap tools, lol. You end up spending more in the long run it seems like!

Thanks G2

Yes, grip can be a thing on some barks, in the rain, etc... but in combination with a platform or ring of steps or furniture brackets on a ratchet strap etc.. you'll probably be using your feet more to position yourself than your knees when it counts most (making a shot). I know some guys have said they wear them under their top layer. That makes sense for noise... depends what kind of kneepad you're using. Honestly, I've only had mine on the outside so far and have only done test sits since making my saddle, so I don't know what I'll like most yet.

Experiment!

On that note, would a platform be the way to go? they look quite slick in G2's videos on YouTube. I would go with DIY ring of steps made out of plate 6061 aluminum or just spend the money on the platform setup. I am looking for comfort and least amount of movement to adjust for a shot.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Lighter gear usually always translates to a lighter wallet. So that's a win/win right?.......:grimacing:;)

On that note, would a platform be the way to go? they look quite slick in G2's videos on YouTube. I would go with DIY ring of steps made out of plate 6061 aluminum or just spend the money on the platform setup. I am looking for comfort and least amount of movement to adjust for a shot.
I haven't answered because I don't know. I'm cheaping my way into this as much as possible (see sig).

I just received furniture brackets to mod and try but haven't gotten that far yet. May end up with a Saddle Hunter platform (does that thing have a real name yet?). Probably better if someone who's done several options gets in here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I bought a pair of these Arcteryx. I have used HD kneepads. My knees feel much comfortable in these new pads. I was up a tree for 2 hours just learning how to set everything up well and my knees never hurt. I was sitting most of the time. Well worth it to me. Comfort is important.

Looking for light weight, quiet, comfortable Knee pads. Lots of Knee Pads on the market today! What pads are you guys using?
I use "soft knees" inserts. They fit into a pockets sewn on the knees of my uninsulated hunting pants. This way, I can layer underneath when it gets cold. I've tried a bunch of strap on knee pads and hated everything about them. Strap digging into back of leg, packing them in, putting them on, careful you don't drop one and pad shifting around on knee. Inserts are always in place, can't forget them, can't drop them and they are super lite. Oh yeah, and no strap digging into the back of my leg. You can buy work pants with the insert pockets and wear them under camo. I had Gray Wolf linens sew pockets on the knees of hunting pants that I ordered. Good luck.

The ultimate ultralight tactic...overpay for EVERYTHING!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.[/QUOT
I use "soft knees" inserts. They fit into a pockets sewn on the knees of my uninsulated hunting pants. This way, I can layer underneath when it gets cold. I've tried a bunch of strap on knee pads and hated everything about them. Strap digging into back of leg, packing them in, putting them on, careful you don't drop one and pad shifting around on knee. Inserts are always in place, can't forget them, can't drop them and they are super lite. Oh yeah, and no strap digging into the back of my leg. You can buy work pants with the insert pockets and wear them under camo. I had Gray Wolf linens sew pockets on the knees of hunting pants that I ordered. Good luck.

Thats a great idea, I didn't think of that one! Thanks Possum!

Back