• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee pads

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
What type of knee pads is everyone using and do you recommend them?

I've been using the camo trophyline knee pads for a while now. I like them for half day sits, but after doing a couple of all days sits in a row my knees really start to feel it. I bought a set with more padding at the home depot last season to get me through the rut, but I'm looking for a better alternative for next season.

I bought a pair of military knee pads from ebay..all forest camo and work great!.they are great for long sits and keeps knees dry during rainy conditions.

Jajtner01 said:
None. I really dont like knee pads. I just let my legs dangle wide around the tree, or stand on the pegs.

I do both of those as well, but I like to lean with my knees as well.

DePalma said:
I bought a pair of military knee pads from ebay..all forest camo and work great!.they are great for long sits and keeps knees dry during rainy conditions.
Are those the ones with the hard knee caps? Post a link to something similar if you can. I worried about the hard knees being loud on the tree.

I am looking for something with a decent amount of padding. Possible with a gel.

DePalma said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-US-ARMY-MILITARY-SURPLUS-KNEE-and-ELBOW-PADS-FREE-SHIPPING-/261438318726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdef02886

Same ones I have,almost a hard rubber and quiet against the tree.

Great, thanks!

I use the same ones. I got them at a military surplus shop at a farmers market for $14. They work great and I liked the fact that they don't use velcro.

Bigburner said:
I use the same ones. I got them at a military surplus shop at a farmers market for $14. They work great and I liked the fact that they don't use velcro.

Agreed, velcro is a big no-no!

Yeah the downside is the velcro but i wear them on my way to the tree.doesnt make much if any noise

DePalma said:
Yeah the downside is the velcro but i wear them on my way to the tree.doesnt make much if any noise
As it gets colder I will put layers on at the base of the tree so I like everything to be quiet

I've been hunting from a TL Treesaddle for close to 10 years. I tried using knee pads an HATED them (uncomfortable,hot and a pain in the a$$ to put on). I started using a "Bowbat" made by GamePlan.

http://www.gameplangear.com/productcart ... ategory=11

It's a bow sling/pack that doubles as a backrest that straps around the tree. It works perfect to pad your knees against the tree while having your gear (rangefinder, calls or whatever you want to have access to during your hunt) right in front of you. It also has an attachment that hold your quiver.

It's a little on the high side at $125 but it works great and I've had mine now for 8 years and is best thing I've found!

Welcome to the forum :D

I was looking at the bowbat at one point. Glad to hear you like it!

Thanks! This is the only forum I've ever joined and I joined just to share that (I've never seen anyone else use it and it works so well for me)... I've been dying to share it with someone! I can't even talk my friends into using a Tree Saddle, and I don't know why after they've seen the deer I've killed out of it! I guess the saying is true, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

Glad to have you aboard :D

Saddle hunting is definitely a niche. Some people just aren't willing to give it a chance.

I would think using the bowbat around the tree would be similar to wrapping one of those thermaseats around the tree?

Maybe... But the bowbat is made for it. It also makes it easy to carry your bow (you don't have to carry it in like you would a thermaseat) and it doubles as a pack. You can fit a lot of gear in it, plus it is right in front of you while you are hunting. For me it solved several issues that I had. Mainly my knees! I didn't like wearing knee pads and letting my legs dangle, like Jajtner01 does, didn't work for me. I figured padding the tree instead of my knees would work better, and it did.

I'm on board with you for how good it is. I'm just trying to brainstorm a way to do something similar with my current gear.

vitalinvader said:
redsquirrel , is that padded?

No I don't believe so. I think with a pad attached to the back of it it would probably work great.

Back