• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kydex release aide holsters

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
One thing I neglected to mention the other day because of embarrassment was while I was waiting to look for my deer, I somehow had lost my release. I managed to find it the next day, so it wasn't a loss, but it got me looking for solutions.

A simple washer over the camera wrist strap that was already on it makes it so ican tighten it on my wrist.

That lead me to initiate a conversation with Andrew Baker(seems like a pretty good guy btw) who makes and sells kydex release aid holsters the other day. After giving it some thought I decided money spent for a holster would be well worth the investment of mind of not losing my release.

Does anyone have experience with these or Andrew that can reaffirm my spending even though I'm kinda cheap.

Pic is of similar holster with Malice clips he said would probably work best in the molle on my saddle. I dont leave it clipped on d loop because if I bump it, it might fall.

20201018_021225.jpg
20201018_021453.jpg

I really like the look of those. Not sure I want more stuff on my saddle though. I messed with same issue the other day. I am always worried about dropping it when I’m at height.

Have you looked into this type of option? Best of both worlds IMO.

Tru-Fire Wrist Assist Release Strap for Handheld Releases Black, One Size (WAHR) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6RH5MZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_C7aJFb679NNRE

Jay I use a simple small pouch I clip onto my saddle using the bridge loops walking in right in front of my groin for my phone and release if I bring the compound then when in tree I just clip it to to my DIY strap. Light weight and I can stuff in pocket if I don’t use it. I find the Keydets kinda noisy and kinda pain to pull out especially with gloves521C2E82-5A6B-41A5-A48C-7164BD5A0CBE.jpeg

I really like the look of those. Not sure I want more stuff on my saddle though. I messed with same issue the other day. I am always worried about dropping it when I’m at height.

Have you looked into this type of option? Best of both worlds IMO.

Tru-Fire Wrist Assist Release Strap for Handheld Releases Black, One Size (WAHR) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6RH5MZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_C7aJFb679NNRE
I've cleaned my saddle up quite a bit and the only thing I have on it currently is one pouch on my left hip for my rope, the rest lives in my pack.

The reason I got away from wrist style releases is because living in MN I need to layer pretty well for a majority of the season, and wrist releases always got lost in layers. That and I don't care for something dangling from my wrist while I'm out, too much risk of banging it I to something

Nock On Archery sells one for the Nock 2 It, and I’ve read a handful of glowing reviews. Seems like folks really like having that go-to, reliable spot for that super-important piece of gear.

The quality of the NockOn holster is great but not so great for a lefty like myself. Haven't checked lately but they didn't have a lefty option when I bought mine.

I'm gunna take a look at these holsters :D

Thanks for the tip

Cool idea. I keep mine clipped on the d-loop when i'm on stand. Walking around I always am guessing which pocket I stuffed it in.

Cool idea. I keep mine clipped on the d-loop when i'm on stand. Walking around I always am guessing which pocket I stuffed it in.
yea mine doesnt stay clipped into the d-loop very well when hanging, if i bump it it falls, so i quit hanging it there. now it can live on my right hip and ill never have to search my pockets for it again.

The only problem i see is that it is hard and could be noisy if I dont take my time getting it out
20201023_135056.jpg

yea mine doesnt stay clipped into the d-loop very well when hanging, if i bump it it falls, so i quit hanging it there. now it can live on my right hip and ill never have to search my pockets for it again.

The only problem i see is that it is hard and could be noisy if I dont take my time getting it out
View attachment 37687
Nothing a little stealth stripping or felt tape won't fix! Looks like you have a good system down.

I made one for my Stan shootoff because I always worried about losing it. I tried and tried to find a way to attach it to my bow so it was always there.

Yea I did take the advice here of stealth stripping the edges, there was slight play in the way it held that caused a small rattle. Adding a bit of stealth strip filled the space in between.

I'm loving being able to walk into the woods and never forget which pocket I slipped my release into

Yea I did take the advice here of stealth stripping the edges, there was slight play in the way it held that caused a small rattle. Adding a bit of stealth strip filled the space in between.

I'm loving being able to walk into the woods and never forget which pocket I slipped my release into

Got mine in! Really liking them. Can you post how you stealth stripped yours? Mine are snug in the holster but banging on outside of it is pretty loud.

I did not realize the malic clips were not the standard. The standard clip would not fit on your typical saddle molle webbbing. Going to order some malice clips to swap out.

Even if they don't work out for hunting I think I will get lots of use out of these.

Got mine in! Really liking them. Can you post how you stealth stripped yours? Mine are snug in the holster but banging on outside of it is pretty loud.

I did not realize the malic clips were not the standard. The standard clip would not fit on your typical saddle molle webbbing. Going to order some malice clips to swap out.

Even if they don't work out for hunting I think I will get lots of use out of these.
I can take some pics later, I'm hanging from a tree atm, but what I did was just add stealth stripping to all the top edges of the holster, a spot or 2 got a second layer just to close that gap a bit.

Back