• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lap link instead of a delta link

This should be good…but I’m interested in the thoughts too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll take the time/weight penalty to thread the delta knowing my connection is secure. Everyone’s personal level of acceptable risk is different! I saw that & thought no way, but maybe some are cool with it…… when ever you use something in a life support system that wasn’t engineered for the task just ask your self what am I gaining by doing this.

Idk squat about it…. I actually run my rappel rope like my tether, figure 8, pass the 30’ of rope through the hole. But I’ve been wondering…. Is it ok to use a delta link? Why is that not cross loading? Is it only ok because steel is more likely to bend instead of break?

Reactions: DCZ
I don't see the real benefit to having an open link in your climbing system. It may be low risk but I knew when I saw that video someone would ask about it even after he said its dumb and unsafe to use lol.

I know this was a big deal in the past when rappelling first kicked up but I would like to know why everyone is so adamant about not using a carabiner attachment for the rope attached to the tree when rappelling? I have heard the cross loading argument, does anyone have tech or safety manuals showing where this is unsafe? The examples I have seen have been far more extreme angles or multidirectional loading then the tangent of a tree radius.

From petzl, example:

1628183634815.png
1628183570802.png

I tried this last year, got a lap link used a vice to flatten to where the rope just squeezed in. Made a few climbs and it worked as planned. One day while climbing at 16-18 ft moving the tether up the tree my rope just slipped out. After that I took it off and put back on my quick link. Risk is not worth the reward. Now I can tell you its a complete pain in the rear to undo a scaffold knot.

I don't see the real benefit to having an open link in your climbing system. It may be low risk but I knew when I saw that video someone would ask about it even after he said its dumb and unsafe to use lol.

I know this was a big deal in the past when rappelling first kicked up but I would like to know why everyone is so adamant about not using a carabiner attachment for the rope attached to the tree when rappelling? I have heard the cross loading argument, does anyone have tech or safety manuals showing where this is unsafe? The examples I have seen have been far more extreme angles or multidirectional loading then the tangent of a tree radius.

From petzl, example:

I think this video appeared in another thread here somewhere, but I know when I saw it, my skepticism about how bad it could be took a hit.

I haven't seen similar testing for a steel, high strength carabiner - I know there are 70kn steel lockers, and that'd be the closest I get to this temptation.

Luckily not that many people watch The Hunting Public. This should not inspire anyone to extend those time savings and swap out their main binder with an S binder with the gate removed.

Now I can tell you its a complete pain in the rear to undo a scaffold knot.

Lol…trying to untie one now! Any advice?

To be clear, moving from quick link to delta link….no lap link in my future unless some kind of very, very good rope containment device or design is added to the base design…even then I don’t really aeee how it’d be worth it…however! I can say that I definitely like a delta link better than a oval quick link!

Luckily not that many people watch The Hunting Public. This should not inspire anyone to extend those time savings and swap out their main binder with an S binder with the gate removed.
My thing is yea, he says “don’t do this” and I get that he’s experimenting with the stuff but I still think maybe it’s a bad idea to put a video of something you don’t endorse other doing on a channel that will be seen by hundreds of thousands of people

I think this video appeared in another thread here somewhere, but I know when I saw it, my skepticism about how bad it could be took a hit.

I haven't seen similar testing for a steel, high strength carabiner - I know there are 70kn steel lockers, and that'd be the closest I get to this temptation.
Thanks for sharing. To me those loadings on an edge are no where near the same, meaning that the edge is way more extreme then the tangent on the radius of a tree. The closest example in that video that I saw was at 5:45 and it broke at 4,000 lbf.

LOL he never said that at all or anything close to it.
You right, thats what I am saying. He just said it wasn't vetted, but he felt very comfortable with it. Which makes sense, obviously he is fine with the risks over the reward.

My thing is yea, he says “don’t do this” and I get that he’s experimenting with the stuff but I still think maybe it’s a bad idea to put a video of something you don’t endorse other doing on a channel that will be seen by hundreds of thousands of people

I’m sure he couldn’t u to his scaffold knot either….lol

Back