• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Late season saddle tips

Fgirtyman

SH Member
I love hunting late season. Snow and does. Never hunted late season with a saddle. Help with any tips appreciated…minus staying indoors.

Hand and body warmers are my go too. I use slip over boot insulators once in the tree. Put a hand warmer on top my toes inside the over boot. I like wearing a small boot to have more room on my platform so the insulators do the job for warmth I put a large body warmer in my FL coat back pocket to keep heat on my back. Also hand warmers in pockets or in hand muff. Don't dress too heavy if it's a long walk or hard climb. Don't want to sweat and layer in the tree or at the base before u go up. Their is some good advice on line with tree stand nutrition and staying warm. Best of luck I love winter bow as well. Freezer filling season!

Hand and body warmers are my go too. I use slip over boot insulators once in the tree. Put a hand warmer on top my toes inside the over boot. I like wearing a small boot to have more room on my platform so the insulators do the job for warmth I put a large body warmer in my FL coat back pocket to keep heat on my back. Also hand warmers in pockets or in hand muff. Don't dress too heavy if it's a long walk or hard climb. Don't want to sweat and layer in the tree or at the base before u go up. Their is some good advice on line with tree stand nutrition and staying warm. Best of luck I love winter bow as well. Freezer filling season!
Good idea carb up! I purchased a little bigger saddle a saddle hunter recommended getting a bigger saddle if I hunted late season. Should give me a little more room with thicker pants. Something about the solitude of the winter woods.

Fetal position and zen out.

For real, when it's really cold I pretty much tuck myself into an armadillo ball. Works real well in the saddle.

There's no real magic trick to staying warm just adhere to the fundamentals. Block the wind, stay dry, and use as much insulation as you need. A touch of mental fortitude.

I have a belief and a working theory why that heated clothes and handwarmers make me feel colder, but that's another thread.

Good idea carb up! I purchased a little bigger saddle a saddle hunter recommended getting a bigger saddle if I hunted late season. Should give me a little more room with thicker pants. Something about the solitude of the winter woods.
Like eating a small power bar or mini snickers bar every hour helps keep the inner fire going and warms from the inside. Also gives u an excuse to eat a mini snickers every hour...

Did an all day in 25 degrees with strong north wind, think the high feels like temp was 12. My advice is layers on each level and good boots. Hand warmers help a ton, if you put one in each boot before you climb you don’t have to worry about dropping a boot putting them in while you’re up the tree later. I did a Yeti thermos of coffee today, had a bit every half hour/hour. Scent people will tell you that’s why I don’t have a Pope and Young buck though. If you’ve got good layers the things that will make you want to quit first are your feet and hands.

This may be obvious but the gloves you have on for the walk (heavier) don’t have to be the gloves you wear in stand (lighter) when your hands can be in your pockets or muff.

I used to have a heater body suit for below freezing, it doesn’t lend itself to saddle hunting quite as good as the iwom. I just made a spare bridge that I clip in through the handwarmer slots no mods needed.

Hand and body warmers are my go too. I use slip over boot insulators once in the tree. Put a hand warmer on top my toes inside the over boot. I like wearing a small boot to have more room on my platform so the insulators do the job for warmth

What kind of boot warmers do you use? You just keep them in your pack and put them on once you’re up the tree?

What kind of boot warmers do you use? You just keep them in your pack and put them on once you’re up the tree?
Arctic shield. Yes I keep them in my pack and then put on once in the tree. Slip the heat pack inside and u are good. This let's me get away with a thinner lightweight boot. For the hike in and climb

My system:
Arctic Shield boot warmers over -40° Bog boots
Tethrd SBW Heater
Cabela's Stand Hunter mittens
Rechargeable heated socks + silk liner socks
Rechargeable heated vest
Electric hand warmers for mittens or whatnot.
Disposable warmers for extra heat as needed
Balaclava + warm hat
Whatever layering system you prefer... flexibility is key.

I haven't done it in the past, but this year I'll be bringing hot soup in a Thermos for lunch.

I
I have used heat keeper socks and older lacrosse icemen and newest Lacrosse boots. Can’t remember name off hand. I have put hot hand in boots when I get dressed before hunting.I have Venture Heat vest jackets etc. feet seam to be the big issue after 3 + hours. I have some sitka face masks and hats. Not that great if u ask me. Always looking for more comfort to sit longer.

Sitka fanatic jacket and bib, long jons underneath. Sat all day in single digits/ low teens no problem other than feet. Its what sold me on sitka gear, keeping warm is a feat for me with renauds (poor circulation) to annemia and no a** its not a matter of if its when. So far this season it hasn't gotten cold enough to really test my new thinsulate irish setters but im stoked for low temps.

Sitka fanatic jacket and bib, long jons underneath. Sat all day in single digits/ low teens no problem other than feet. Its what sold me on sitka gear, keeping warm is a feat for me with renauds (poor circulation) to annemia and no a** its not a matter of if its when. So far this season it hasn't gotten cold enough to really test my new thinsulate irish setters but im stoked for low temps.
Didn’t think it ever got that cold if you are hunting Louisiana.

I like my merino wool base layers. I think they make a difference. I use bibs when it gets very cold. Chemical sole warmers.

Back