• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Latitude Vapor Line

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
I like it better than Oplux. It has a nicer sheath

Brocky

SH Member
Sep 27, 2020
de mitten
Not sure how much this is better, they only compare it to Oplux, and not to RescTech. Looked at Atlantic Braids and found something similar, but stronger. Looks like it doesn’t have an inner core of polypropylene, which is slightly more waterproof than dyneema. Also lost is the cut and heat resistance of the Technora. Looks like it needs a longer sewn area also.
7C031CF9-C3DA-46EA-8631-E79325E211F1.png

Reactions: woodsdog2 and Plebe

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
Not sure how much this is better, they only compare it to Oplux, and not to RescTech. Looked at Atlantic Braids and found something similar, but stronger. Looks like it doesn’t have an inner core of polypropylene, which is slightly more waterproof than dyneema. Also lost is the cut and heat resistance of the Technora. Looks like it needs a longer sewn area also.
View attachment 65504

I am not sure what this is you posted but it is not the latitude vapor line. The vapor line has a polypropylene core, more abrasive resistant, UV resistance and higher break strength than Oplux.

Plebe

SH Member
Sep 14, 2020
I don't know what is blended in the Oplux core with the Spectra, if anything. Reschtech specifies polypro in it's blend. No mention of polypro blended in the core in the Vaporline description, it says it's a blend of UHMWPE.

Last edited:

Brocky

SH Member
Sep 27, 2020
de mitten
Dyneema and Spectra are pretty much the same, only made by different companies.

Oplux, RescTech, and C-IV all have an inner polypropylene cores, along with the main load bearing core, C-IV has nylon main core, though.

Reactions: Plebe

Plebe

SH Member
Sep 14, 2020

Crosswise, or just a longer sew on the return? Is there a rule of thumb for this to look for?

Spartan

Dec 2, 2021
Crosswise, or just a longer sew on the return? Is there a rule of thumb for this to look for?

I believe it is all based on the number of stitches, and the size of the sewn areas are simply a function of rope strength relative to sewing thread strength, and then with an optional buffer added. So the cumulative strength in the number of stitches is supposed to equal the rope strength at a minimum. Considering this, the length of the sewn area would vary based on thread strength, and would therefore be irrelevant, so long as the proper number of stitches was used based on the thread selected.

Reactions: Plebe and Brocky

Brocky

SH Member
Sep 27, 2020
de mitten
The number of stitches, equal tension, and at first it seemed the two sections needed to be compressed together also, determines if it will hold. The number of passes being done can be different making for different lengths.

Petzl one pass only on the left, arbsession with probably 3, and Sterling’s sewing on 6mm, looks to be just two, and I think split up so it will bend some, and two I hand sewed.
CBAFAA6F-77F9-4A64-B958-D83D3E3CA427.jpeg