• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

layering up while sitting

MJH

SH Member
Guys,
This is my first season in a saddle. So far it has been good. I have found it comfortable and not a problem to sit 4hrs etc.

Often I have to hike in quite a ways to get to my spots. Now that the weather is starting to cool off, I have been starting to bring layers in to add after I have climbed and cooled off. I haven't figured out the best way to add a sweater/jacket and get it tucked down under my saddle belt.

Any ideas/suggestions? I don't really want to fully layer up at the base of the tree if I can avoid it.

What type of saddle are you using? With most this is difficult at best with your weight holding the saddle tight. I use a preachers seat in which this is not an issue and also I use a fleece saddle. With the fleece saddle I tighten my harness up so that the weight comes off the fleece then tuck the coat and ease back into the saddle. Fleece is nice when it gets colder to because of the added insulation. I hope you get some better solutions though because for this reason I usually just suit up before climbing and it would be nice to keep a layer or two off for the climb and add as I cool off.

That is part of the reason I like the new Hybrid Web (and the old Guidos Web), putting on a jacket while in it is easy peasy. Just like putting on a jacket while sitting in a chair (well, you do have to tuck it between the bridge and straps, but no big deal).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys,
This is my first season in a saddle. So far it has been good. I have found it comfortable and not a problem to sit 4hrs etc.

Often I have to hike in quite a ways to get to my spots. Now that the weather is starting to cool off, I have been starting to bring layers in to add after I have climbed and cooled off. I haven't figured out the best way to add a sweater/jacket and get it tucked down under my saddle belt.

Any ideas/suggestions? I don't really want to fully layer up at the base of the tree if I can avoid it.

I’ve added layers in the tree in the kestrel, and it’s not ideal. Only way it’s really possible is with a platform you can stand up on, and even then it’s tough. You can get upper layers on by grabbing bridge with one hand, having belt loose and using other hand to shove everything into saddle. In my opinion you’ll sweat more trying this maneuver than you would climbing With layers. I’d rather get to my tree and relax for a few minutes and cool down, then climb really slow fully dressed so I don’t break another sweat.

I know everyone says they’re just too sweaty and it’s not possible to climb with layers and not sweat. I’m one of those sweaty people, and I can climb fully dressed for teens and 20’s and not sweat. But I practice a lot with my climbing methods, and I go really slow. To me that’s the key is not rushing or being anxious or stressed because I’m having difficulty getting up the tree. Sub teens I can offer no input as I have no experience dressing or climbing in that environment.

Everyone hates to hear it. But practicing pre season, and taking an extra few minutes to relax before and while you climb, will make a huge difference in the exertion going up.

I am running a kestrel.
Like @kyler1945 says, I have pulled myself up and tucked my layers in. I don't run a platform, so this is tricky, and has resulted in lumps in and around the harness belt. I still haven't run any of my cold weather gear, but that is coming soon (I'm in Canada).

The possibility of me dressing up at the base of the stand is problematic. I may have walked in 3-4km through dense bush, and will need 20min to cool down from that.

There has got to be a way to safely unlatch the belt (with some other fall protection) and get everything squared away. This site is known for dudes who can improvise...

I have a Kestrel, too, and utilize an XOP/Ernie style platform. Adding/removing upper body layers is not a problem. For the most part, my layering system is focused on regulating upper body (core) temperature so I just wear a bottom layer combo that's gonna get me through the day. Sure, some days I may wish I had a little more or less bottom layer warmth but I can usually regulate comfort well enough by adjusting layers on the upper body.

I use a sitdrag and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to put on a sweater and a jacket when hanging. The more threads I follow about saddles, the more I am starting to appreciate the wonderful simplicity of the sitdrag. Pete

I add layers every hunt. With my kestrel the first thing I do after I get my tether hooked up is loosen my waste belt the whole way. Then I stand up a little on my pegs and let the saddle slide way down below my belt. This is the most comfortable way for me to sit in the saddle. If I need to add layers I put them on then I stand up usually grabbing my tether for support and tuck my layer down into the saddle. Only takes me a couple seconds since the waist belt is so loose.

I use the Mantis. I just climb up and one I am tethered to the tree slide on my puffy jacket. I don't have any issue and don't have to do any tucking... insulative layers are best not compressed, so I just leave it hanging rather than tucking it in.

I am running a kestrel.
Like @kyler1945 says, I have pulled myself up and tucked my layers in. I don't run a platform, so this is tricky, and has resulted in lumps in and around the harness belt. I still haven't run any of my cold weather gear, but that is coming soon (I'm in Canada).

The possibility of me dressing up at the base of the stand is problematic. I may have walked in 3-4km through dense bush, and will need 20min to cool down from that.

There has got to be a way to safely unlatch the belt (with some other fall protection) and get everything squared away. This site is known for dudes who can improvise...

Question for the professional tree-climbers on the forum: What are safety considerations on using one of these chest harnesses as a temporary attachment point while attempting to layer up in something like the Kestrel? As in, connecting the chest harness, tethering tightly to the tree, then disconnecting the Kestrel in order to add layers. Weight would be on platform, and you would maintain connection to the tree.

http://www.wesspur.com/saddles/chest-harnesses-srt.html

Disclaimer: I don't do this and I'm not advocating it.

I put my puffy pants on before climbing. Prior, I would put them on over my RCH and feed the tether out the fly. Pretty tough to do that safely with a saddle on.

It is a downside to the saddle but is what it is. Not a big deal to me.

It's not so much I sweat from climbing. I sweat from climbing mountains on the hike in and would rather cool down in the tree all set up than sitting on the ground.

Coats are no problem to layer in the tree.

This is another plus of a platform. I also wear a RC harness since I use a diy saddle. The loose end of my tether is connected to the rc harness. I simply stand up and do what I want, re position saddle and lean back into it. Heck I even put on or take off a modified HBS with no issues. Many advantages to a platform, maybe not all are obvious till you use one.

Rivers West Waterproof Windproof Camouflage Fleece Hunting Gear - Waterproof Hunting Cape

61TW15lAvgL._SL1000_.jpg

IVe sat shirtless a couple times while up in the tree with my saddle. I just put my linermans belt back on, cinch my hips close to the tree while standing, and change shirts, tuck into my saddle, whatever I need to do. The saddle isnt creating any pressure points while doing this.

I had my first ever saddle hunt on Sunday morning so take this with a grain of salt.

I put my sanctuary bibs on at the base of the tree and then climbed. I then put the sanctuary jacket on once I was set up and cooled down a little. I didn't think it was too bad. I think i prefer layering up in a saddle more than my lone wolf. Not having to deal with a 5 point harness , disconnecting it, and trying to fish it up through a coat.

I suppose you could put bibs on in the tree but it would definitely be more difficult than a top.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I personally could not figure out how to effectively hunt with all my layers during the cold winter bow season! I felt like the little guy on the movie “The Christmas Story”. I would get and stay warm but my mobility suffered greatly! My solution was found by accident-It’s the Milwaukee heated hoodie. They make vests and other heated jackets. I carry 2 2AmpHour batteries that last me from sun up to sun down! This has been one of the most important pieces of cold weather gear I have ever purchased!!! Probably as revolutionary as the poncho liner was for the Korean War!!!!!! If you buy one make sure you buy it as small as you can. The more snug the more efficient the heat transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for the professional tree-climbers on the forum: What are safety considerations on using one of these chest harnesses as a temporary attachment point while attempting to layer up in something like the Kestrel? As in, connecting the chest harness, tethering tightly to the tree, then disconnecting the Kestrel in order to add layers. Weight would be on platform, and you would maintain connection to the tree.

http://www.wesspur.com/saddles/chest-harnesses-srt.html

Disclaimer: I don't do this and I'm not advocating it.
These harnesses are intended for rope/device/knot tending and not for any type of fall restraint or protection. They are intended to move the tending position from your belt to your chest making tending easier in certain situations. No actual climbing weight is ever put on these when climbing with them, the only stresses they get while climbing are from a rope being pulled through a device or knot.

Back