• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Learners and sitters

noxninja

I started in a guido so I'm a sitter in my sit drag as well. I don't see how you leaners do it for hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta mix it up. I'm a 75% leaner. The rest of the time I have my knees in the tree sitting down. That little bit of time sitting is enough of a break off my legs it doesn't wear me out.

I would agree with G2 on this. I lean more time then I sit. Because i strive to get in 2hrs before sun up i will pretty much sit during that time and hug the tree. Once I can see actual shapes and outlines I will start to lean so that im prepared for what may come. Its a balance and I think the more you lean the more your muscles will get accustomed to it. Its like anything your body just has to get used to what you want it to do. Either way hunting cab take its toll on the body between the physical and mental but hey no better place to be other than a saddle in the woods.

I was using the aero for awhile till i got the sit drag. I found that i kept loosening the belt of the aero and using it like a sitdrag. I think that was inspired by DaveT. That started the leaning process for me which leaning always felt like a better position for shooting and filming. The sitdrag just filled in the gaps for what I was looking for i.e. Lightweight, no to minimal hip pinch, comfort, and simplicity in design without the leg straps. I found leaning was ten fold more comfortable with the sitdrag and as it was easier I found it just could be done longer. Before saddles it was climbers and hangons which felt way worse on the back.

This might seem odd but i hunted with a buddy on his property last week in a hang on. After 20 mins or so it just felt odd to be facing away from the tree. I had brought my sit drag and just rigged it up and used the seat as a platform instead. Facing the tree was just way more my thing I guess. Sorry if that sounds weird lol

I was using the aero for awhile till i got the sit drag. I found that i kept loosening the belt of the aero and using it like a sitdrag. I think that was inspired by DaveT. That started the leaning process for me which leaning always felt like a better position for shooting and filming. The sitdrag just filled in the gaps for what I was looking for i.e. Lightweight, no to minimal hip pinch, comfort, and simplicity in design without the leg straps. I found leaning was ten fold more comfortable with the sitdrag and as it was easier I found it just could be done longer. Before saddles it was climbers and hangons which felt way worse on the back.

This might seem odd but i hunted with a buddy on his property last week in a hang on. After 20 mins or so it just felt odd to be facing away from the tree. I had brought my sit drag and just rigged it up and used the seat as a platform instead. Facing the tree was just way more my thing I guess. Sorry if that sounds weird lol

Your progression was EXACTLY like mine lol. I found myself just using the top belt on the Evo and liked it better so I took the seat off and only used the belt. I felt that was a waste of an expensive saddle and the SitDrag allowed me to sell the Evo and only use the SD. I've got to the point where I can't sit in a regular stand. I'll climb a ladder stand and sit behind it or I'll use a lock on as a platform but won't sit on it. Good thing is my main hunting partner now only hunts from saddles so all our preset spots are set up for saddles which is awesome.

I can lean for a very long time in the evo, but about 2 minutes after I sit I'm reminded to unbuckle the belt.

I removed a hang on last week so I could saddle hunt the tree. Sat for a few minutes first and felt "exposed".

I thought all of this was weird until I found this site. My buddies, and even some family, tell me it is anyway.
Truth is this is the new normal! But seriously, it just feels more natural to me.

I'm a full blown sitter. I sit 95% of the time. For me, sitting allows me to be in the tree and comfortable. Leaning allows me to take advantage of the saddle to get into positions most others could never think of to get a shot.

For me, leaning is far easier to stay comfortable. Without any visual movement, I can adjust my weight to avoid fatigue much easier than I can squirm to get blood flowing from hip pinch. Every couple hours or so, I will transition into a sitting position for a little bit to relax my legs. I typically straddle the tree when I do. I'm really thinking of trying bike pedals on bolts this year, since I naturally straddle the tree.

Before I started using the assault platform and I was 90% sitter. The platform has flipped it to where I'm a 80% leaner. I'll sit with my knees against the tree, or even straddle the tree, but leaning is really comfortable with the large platform.

I just barely have my knees unlocked so I guess I am a leaner. If you find you get tired, put an extra step about 10" above , for me my right foot. It really helps to change positions with little movement,
Onehair

I'm a leaner. I couldn't ever get comfortable in a tree saddle sitting. Too much hip pinch. With the sit drag and xop platform, I lean and am much more comfortable.

I also find leaning height puts less pressure on my knee when sitting. I only use 1 knee pad now. Funny how moving your tether an inch or two off center counters the single knee and keeps you straight.

So when you guys are leaning, what height are you putting your prussic and how long is your bridge? I've hunted from the saddle for years, but always been a sitter. I do like standing up and leaning, and I think it helps with my outline from the ground just make me look like part of the tree. Just interested as to how (if any) you set up differently to lean vs sit. Also - how many of you use a platform vs steps?

So when you guys are leaning, what height are you putting your prussic and how long is your bridge? I've hunted from the saddle for years, but always been a sitter. I do like standing up and leaning, and I think it helps with my outline from the ground just make me look like part of the tree. Just interested as to how (if any) you set up differently to lean vs sit. Also - how many of you use a platform vs steps?

My tether wraps around at eye level.

I am just wondering, how are you defining yourself? What makes a leaner? What makes a sitter? I have my ideas on how I define it, but I wanted to see how others define it.

Thanks,
Boswell

I define a sitter as how you sit in a swing while swinging. I define leaner as how you are when you are fixing to start swinging with legs straight on the ground.

I define a sitter as how you sit in a swing while swinging. I define leaner as how you are when you are fixing to start swinging with legs straight on the ground.

Pretty much spot on.

Dang, that's a great description.

Back