• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Learning from Failure

TexaninSconny

I’m a newbie to saddle hunting, but loving the chance to learn about this and see all the different ways you can go about accomplishing the end goal.

Everyone loves to talk about their success (or at least I do), but we can learn a great deal from failure. I’d love to hear from anyone on a particular moment from this past season, or even further back that was a learning lesson or completely FUBAR.

Specifically interested in things to avoid with climb/hunting setup, but if it’s outside of that I’m always game for a good story that’ll make me a better hunter. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats whst its all about. Systems, tactics, snd eventual success. All from alot of failures

Last edited:
Not to pick on the guy from this video but this is an example of what not to do.....linesman and tether hooked up when stepping into platform everytime.... Don't allow slack if at all possible...if the platform fell out from under him he wouldnt have a good day

Screenshot_20210315-233750_(1).png

This is a throwbag tip..If you get it stuck in a branch on a large tree walk away. It happened to me last year and i decided to climb up to get it with my platform and aiders. I had to use a webbing loop extension on my strap for the predator platform to reach around the trunk,it was close to 3' diameter. Then i had to toss the strap to catch it because reaching around the trunk was impossible.
I made it up eventually but it was a little dicey and exhausting and not quiet at all. I saw no deer that day.

when you see my avitar dont do any thing i say i do .its not recamended its just what i do.and if you simply say what you do.invest in tissue.so you can mail it to people.

Not to pick on the guy from this video but this is an example of what not to do.....linesman and tether hooked up when stepping into platform everytime.... Don't allow slack if at all possible...if the platform fell out from under him he wouldnt have a good day

View attachment 45834
Yea. Imho. That guy was used in that video for just the reason it all turned out.
Lost the very little respect left i had for the individual who did the video.
made dude look foolish. And to bash saddles to sell my products just not good marketing.
im fine with sponsorships ,pushing products ,or sharing ideas but to bash competitors products or make people look foolish to promote oneself is not cool.
Not surprised though after all I've been learning.
shame that's money though. Turns the best the other way.

I’m a newbie to saddle hunting, but loving the chance to learn about this and see all the different ways you can go about accomplishing the end goal.

Everyone loves to talk about their success (or at least I do), but we can learn a great deal from failure. I’d love to hear from anyone on a particular moment from this past season, or even further back that was a learning lesson or completely FUBAR.

Specifically interested in things to avoid with climb/hunting setup, but if it’s outside of that I’m always game for a good story that’ll make me a better hunter. TIA!

Here's a link to a thread with some "lessons learned". I know there's another one here somewhere but I'll need to look around a bit for it.

Yea. Imho. That guy was used in that video for just the reason it all turned out.
Lost the very little respect left i had for the individual who did the video.
made dude look foolish. And to bash saddles to sell my products just not good marketing.
im fine with sponsorships ,pushing products ,or sharing ideas but to bash competitors products or make people look foolish to promote oneself is not cool.
Not surprised though after all I've been learning.
shame that's money though. Turns the best the other way.
Didn't intend to bring that subject back up....that was just fresh in my mind for an example of learning from failure.

I got my climbing line end knot stuck in the crotch of a tree and threw my throwball over the crotch from the opposite side, tied that end to the tail of the rope and pulled it back over the crotch.

Here's a link to a thread with some "lessons learned". I know there's another one here somewhere but I'll need to look around a bit for it.

That post was exactly what I was looking for...you just wrote it in a much better way, haha. Thanks!

This fellow climbs without a lineman's belt to maintain 3 points of contact, or a tether to maintain proper fall arrest at all time. Using devices that have not been properly tested and certified. He's wearing loose fitting clothing that inhibits mobility, and has the potential to get caught on climbing equipment.

Some good examples of things to avoid.

This fellow climbs without a lineman's belt to maintain 3 points of contact, or a tether to maintain proper fall arrest at all time. Using devices that have not been properly tested and certified. He's wearing loose fitting clothing that inhibits mobility, and has the potential to get caught on climbing equipment.

Some good examples of things to avoid.
Even a fall from the top of one stick should hurt some and maybe even break a bone. I have seen others do similar and they say it is OK but not me.

Back