• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Leatherworking Thread

MNFarmHunter

This is the thread for questions, tips and humble (or not so humble) brags.

I got bit by the muzzleloader bug this fall which naturally means I had to break out the leatherworking tools to make the necessary accouterments for muzzleloaders. Here's what I've made for the past few days:

Individual pieces for a small Hawkens bag
1.jpg

Finished Hawkens bag. While big enough to carry shooting supplies, I immediately added 1.5" to the width and depth to the pattern which should find a happy home between the small bag and full-sized hunting bag
2.jpg

Here, you can see the color difference between the mahogany stain (top) and after baking the leather and applying Snoseal (bottom). Fully buffed out, it gives a nice, satin shine to the leather, softens it, isn't sticky or tacky and should fully waterproof the leather.
3.jpg

Cow's Knee prototype. While most secure in the middle forcing you you undue the strap and then stick it in your pocket/bag, this one tips then slides forward on the barrel before turning off to the side. Net effect is that it cannot be dropped or lost and quickly moves out of the way for a shot. I'll eventually make another one with the proper stain coloring and Snoseal treatment.
4.jpg

Finally, while cleaning up today there were scraps that needed something to be done with. The top "tab" holds 5 percussion caps for my Hawkens and the bottom is a leather loading block based off an earlier prototype but in the proper color and attention to detail.
5.JPG

Do mostly firefighter stuff and radio straps and belts but messed around with the SH logo a few years back.View attachment 77419View attachment 77420

Very nice. My last company before hanging up the boots was E11 and our mascot was a hornet solely because no matter what we did, we had hornets living in our station year-round…including the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screenshot_20221204-184414_Gallery.jpg
Our dept acquired our high school's blue devil logo for all the trucks. But our patch is Johnny Appleseed. My city in MA was his "birthplace" apparently lol

This evenings boredom. I have scrap leather I had stained but screwed up on a cut that’s being repurposed for welts and such.

The Pennsylvania now has a frizzen cover.
86d0ea1d12fa0455c5f6dbbbc4dbd371.jpg

Not leather related but in keeping with the theme, had some square key stock lying around and made a vent pick.
19d97075ac473a065952f9140df5d7de.jpg

Nice Job. The best vent pick I've found is a stainless torch tip cleaner, though not very traditional looking. Have mine hanging on a leather thong ,thus making it traditional...

Thanks. Only took a hand propane torch, bench vice and some hand tools.

Like most of my stuff, you’ll never see it for sale in a shop but I like the “rustic artisan” look.

@MNFarmHunter those are some nice pieces. You do good work.

May I make some suggestions I have seen around the rendezvous to add onto that possibles bag to make it more organized when you toss all your stuff in it. If I had the skill I would do a few changes to my setup.

A place for your ball starter and I have seen it three ways I like. I like to have my ball starter handy for follow up shots or at competitions easy to get to so either on my strap or held in place in the bag. When you flip the lid over, to have a sewn in holder to slide in the front inside panel is a great place to quickly flip and reach in and pull it out. In one of my bags mine is at an angle so the ball end is right at the top corner so I can quickly grab it without having to look. I also have it tethered to the outside of the possibles bag so I can drop it after a reload and not loose it. Another way I have seen and like is using the ball starter as the lid lock so it’s on the outside of the bag but holds the flap closed. Horizontal drop in (I prefer inside because I am always rooting thru mine and it was a pain to open and close this way but it’s quick and easy)

also, a patch holder on the shoulder strap which makes you look cool and is practical but it’s a nice quick reference to which strap goes on the front and if you happen to drop a patch while loading it is right there to grab another. I even have a buddy that has a one ball holder incase he drops his ball… at that point I told him he aught to let the deer walk.

I also have somewhat of a pocket built into the back and front of mine to hold my pins, scrapers and tools or extra flints. It just helps to keep them off to the side so I am not poking or cutting my fingers as I sift thru in a hurry.

lastly… and I don’t have this on mine yet but plan to add it. I want a side pocket with a flap for my 4f powder horn and/or a place for a speed loader to quickly get too. (Not allowed them at the rendezvous but for hunting)

take it for what it’s worth, it’s like a woman’s purse, to each their own but you look like you are enjoying making these things.

here are a few pics of some of mine.

this is my primary bag used for hunting and shooting. It was my buddies that passed away and his dad gave it to me. Not sure where it was made but I think it was someone from the rendezvous.two inside pockets and I am using the knife sheath to hold the ball starter. Works well

1670374779538.jpeg
1670374795287.jpeg
1670374812675.jpeg
1670374831147.jpeg

This is my backup
I used before I received my buddies. Good bag but hard to keep organized. Made by a fella in my area.
1670374924703.jpeg
1670374986254.jpeg

no idea how I got this one but I use it for my black powder shotguns. I imagine it was a production bag from somewhere. Works well on my belt for loading my shotguns and holding all the crap needed for them separately.

1670375065112.jpeg
1670375091365.jpeg

I take no offense to suggestions and appreciate them whenever possible as my basic philosophy is that I will not come up with an idea that someone hasn't previously explored, rejected, improved upon or given up on.

Given a well written post by @Jagger0502, let me try to answer to give my thoughts, accepting that my thoughts are no better that any other.

Ball starter and patch holder:
- I don't use a ball starter and size my patches based on if I can "pop" the round ball into the barrel. This is a Ford v. Chevy argument but I've found greater consistency with this looser seating, subject to individual rifles and what they like. Given that, my leather loading block answers this question by having both the ball and patch readily available.

For the tool kit, I found this site: https://www.nmlra.org/news/craftsmanscorner-hawkenpouch
Digging deeper, they have other youtube video's on different pouches, one being a tool and flint bag. Being what I am and watching the video, found my own "improvements", which led me to making my own flintlock tools, and will be making a bag the next time I make a donation to Tandy.

Charge vs. primer powder. Next year, my goal is to find a powder/load that'll work on a single grain, namely 3F. If I can find the sweet spot and powder, a 250gr. primer horn in theory would prime and charge 3 shots which is enough for modern hunting. This of course is subject to real-world realities shattering my dreams and desires :tearsofjoy:

Ultimately, this is my intentions behind this thread. @Jagger0502 has an awesome kit that works for him. The questions is: What works for you and what ideas can you offer to build a better lightbulb?

I’ve decided to further modify the possibles bag I previously made. The templates were already extended in width and depth to make it larger but have decided to also add a gusset to the bottom which’ll further made it’s volume bigger without making it bigger.

I’ve never sewn a gusset so this should be interesting. If my son works Saturday, I’ll be busy sewing meaning I could could the newest bag for the final hunt of the season.

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with for a quiver.
I'll try to get some pics up. Been thinking about it for a while but haven't sketched out a pattern yet.

In the meantime, if these are allowed, here are a couple of my other pieces. All veg-tan with a mix of dyes and acrylics for finishing. Any recommendations for the detail work are much appreciated.

Bracer - Unpainted/undyed and then finished.
1001192012.jpg

1008192257a.jpg

Shoulder Cape "shield" (not sure what it's really called) - almost finished and then a close-up of the front. Baby wolves on the back, adult on the front, all howling at a moon that is on the shoulder cap.
1010191150.jpg

1022191739.jpg

And a pauldron depicting an owl hunting a rodent of some kind. (It was supposed to be a rabbit but didn't quite turn out). Perspective on the owl's wings is a little wonky... they're supposed to be swept back and flared as if it's slowing down to grab the rabbit.
1109191158a.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work. I have the art skills of a 2 year old and am truly amazed by those who have that form of talent.

Did you wet form/harden the wrist guard?
Yes and no, it's decorative rather than functional so there was no need to harden it. I did wet shape it around my arm a little bit and then just used some rubber bands to keep it rolled until it dried.

If it was functional I would harden it with hot wax/oil, which hardens it better than water, and it would be a little bit thicker leather.

With forming/hardening (and able), I’ll soak the leather in water then vacuum seal it over the form to fully work in all the detail. I’ll then stick it in the fridge for an hour before sticking it in the toaster oven at 135.

Once fully dried, it’s hard as a rock and retains its shape. Dye, saddle soap and neutral shoe wax later and the leather is hard yet hydrated.

V.2 of the possibles bag is cut, stained and currently cooking in the toaster oven. Tonight will be the Snoseal and tomorrow will be final stitching.

The is a far more practical size, especially with the addition of the gusset.

My final hunt of 2022 will be Sunday and have every expectation to use this bag on that final hunt.

Back