• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Leg Loops?

Birddog

So I've been hunting out of my Kestrel for a couple of years, and I never use the leg loops. I was thinking of cutting them off, but thought maybe there was some reason I might need them eventually. Seems like the saddle would be less fiddly without them. Can someone talk me into/out of cutting them off?
Thanks in advance.

i also been thinking of cutting mine also only reason i havent is for climbing with spurs

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’d recommend keeping them on, but that’s just me. If you ever sell it, the value would be better I imagine as well.

I think they are just positioning devices to keep saddle in relatively correct spot. But since they don’t bother me a bit, I see no reason to cut them off...

I cut mine off of my mantis about a week after i got it, they drove me crazy.

I had a trophyline for years before I got the mantis, they never bothered me near as much.

Could not tolerate the leg strap buckles on the Flex, they had to go. Replaced the buckles with T Hooks and they work well. Really I could just do away with them since I went from a climbing rated buckle to the T hook. I do not have any intentions selling my FLex, if I get another saddle I figure it will be my backup.

I cut them off my Kestrel because its kinda fitted, cups my butt and stays where I want it but I can turn in it too! I also have a Mantis and I kept the leg straps on because it moves around on me when I don't use them.

Keep them on my Kestrel and Flex .
They never bothered me and if I ever decide to sell them that are complete saddles.

So I'm gathering that they are on there ostensibly for safety, but mainly function to keep the saddle in position on the body. If I'm not gonna sell it, and I never use them, perhaps just getting rid of them makes sense.

So I'm gathering that they are on there ostensibly for safety, but mainly function to keep the saddle in position on the body. If I'm not gonna sell it, and I never use them, perhaps just getting rid of them makes sense.
A saddle that slips to the wtong place isn't safe...

I find loops useful if doing more climberish stuff. For example they are really handy for SRT.

A saddle that slips to the wtong place isn't safe...

I find loops useful if doing more climberish stuff. For example they are really handy for SRT.

Similarly, when one-stick climbing certain trees, I feel like I am occasionally starting slip out of my Kestrel. The leg loops prevent that...

I keep them loose while sitting and tighten them when I am climbing. I had them loos and started climbing down and I felt the saddle moving around. Did not like that feeling.

I keep them loose. I never feel tension from them. They are just there for support incase of a fall. And like said above, resale value.

I fell out of a SitDrag. It wouldn't have happened with leg loops. All the YouTube folks said it wouldn't happen but it did. From my experience, I would strongly recommend that you keep them in place otherwise you might find your expensive saddle was also a ticket to the hospital.
But hey, you might make new friends out of the guys who actually heard you calling for help, and carried you out of the woods. ;-)

I fell out of a SitDrag. It wouldn't have happened with leg loops. All the YouTube folks said it wouldn't happen but it did. From my experience, I would strongly recommend that you keep them in place otherwise you might find your expensive saddle was also a ticket to the hospital.
But hey, you might make new friends out of the guys who actually heard you calling for help, and carried you out of the woods. ;-)

With a true saddle though, the belt it really the only thing keeping you in.

Back