• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Leg straps for one stick climbing method

beaston

For the one stick guys thoughts on leg straps? Currently have a Method saddle and I don't use leg straps for bolts or sticks and feel 100% safe so do you use them for one stick climbing or not. Plan was to try both ways but would like opinions from fellow saddlehunter. TIA!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

For the one stick guys thoughts on leg straps? Currently have a Method saddle and I don't use leg straps for bolts or sticks and feel 100% safe so do you use them for one stick climbing or not. Plan was to try both ways but would like opinions from fellow saddlehunter. TIA!!

Used them with other saddles, but since the method saddles have removable ones, haven’t used them at all. They serve no necessary purpose for me.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No issues, I separate the panels before climbing. Makes for a comfortable climb.

Last edited:
The leg straps keep the saddle from sliding up. You slip and fall there is a possibility of the saddle sliding all the way up to your arm pits. So... you need to ask yourself the question is this added comfort worth the risk?

Me personally agree with Enkriss. I have a Recon and while practicing my initial climb with it I didn’t use the leg straps. Part way up my bottom panel came out from under me when tension was off during a tether reposition. Also didn’t help that I had removed the waist buckle and swapped in a bungee cord.

The end results was the saddle slid off and was hanging at my feet .

So I use leg straps and waist belts now .

Me personally agree with Enkriss. I have a Recon and while practicing my initial climb with it I didn’t use the leg straps. Part way up my bottom panel came out from under me when tension was off during a tether reposition. Also didn’t help that I had removed the waist buckle and swapped in a bungee cord.

Had my diy saddle fall like that while I was climbing. Pretty good scare for sure. Guessing thats why the old trophyline came with suspenders.

The leg straps keep the saddle from sliding up. You slip and fall there is a possibility of the saddle sliding all the way up to your arm pits. So... you need to ask yourself the question is this added comfort worth the risk?

Absolutely yes. The scenario you describe ... I’ve yet to either experience it, or hear a single story of that happening.

Semper Fi,
Mike

The saddle ending up at your feet has nothing to do with leg straps. Leg straps would prevent the saddle from riding up, not falling down

Semper Fi,
Mike

Thanks for feedback guys seems like a subject that can be subjective. It seemed like I might need them but since I never loosen waist belt until I'm at height and setting up for the hunt maybe not.

Correct, waist belt primary reason for saddle falling, but not using leg strap allowed for bottom panel to slide up and out of weight bearing position once tension was off.

So for me leg straps do provide a purpose for two panel one stick climbing.

Thanks for feedback guys seems like a subject that can be subjective. It seemed like I might need them but since I never loosen waist belt until I'm at height and setting up for the hunt maybe not.

I’d say give it a shot with both and see which you prefer. That’s a big plus with the methods removable leg straps. As with any climbing method, if you take your time one sticking and ensure the bottom panel is under you before you full sit in it to move your stick up I don’t think you’ll have any issues. As others have mentioned, it is always a possibility of sliding up, I had a recon prior that sometimes gave me that feeling but hasn’t happened in the method after dozens of sits so far this season. Good luck!

I’d say give it a shot with both and see which you prefer. That’s a big plus with the methods removable leg straps. As with any climbing method, if you take your time one sticking and ensure the bottom panel is under you before you full sit in it to move your stick up I don’t think you’ll have any issues. As others have mentioned, it is always a possibility of sliding up, I had a recon prior that sometimes gave me that feeling but hasn’t happened in the method after dozens of sits so far this season. Good luck!
Nice to know.. thanks

Back