• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Less is more.

RobFrancis64

I've been playing with the idea of transitioning from a backpack to a fanny pack. Between the gear I carry in my sys haulers, the platform and sticks, bow etc... I feel like most everything could be covered with just a fanny pack. Any ideas? Anyone tried this, pics?

I toyed with the idea of a hip pack, and putting my ridge runner on backpack straps like I do in early season, but my little rush 12 backpack is about the same. I just hate walking in and climbing with all my winter clothes on.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

There's also the Papoose from Backwoods Mobile Gear but I don't see them on their site anymore. He'd probably make you one if you contacted him. Mike Isbell.

I started with a Fanny pack this year but was hard to deal with a saddle under it because both are around my waist. Hard to hook up linesman loops and adjust my waist belt. I’m a minimalist also but I found it better to carry a small backpack.

Last edited:
I started with a Fanny pack this year but found it hard to deal with a saddle under it because both are around my waist. Hard to hook up linesman loops and adjust my waist belt. I’m a minimalist also but I found it better to carry a small backpack.
That's what I thought every time I considered it.

That's kinda where I'm stuck, on the one hand a backpack with sticks and a platform is kinda bulky. On the other hand having a bino harness, platform, sticks and a waist pack strapped around my shoulders seems like it could get annoying too. I'll probably get the eberlestock x2 and go with that. Seems like the most organized route.

I've been playing with the idea of transitioning from a backpack to a fanny pack. Between the gear I carry in my sys haulers, the platform and sticks, bow etc... I feel like most everything could be covered with just a fanny pack. Any ideas? Anyone tried this, pics?
I'm going fanny pack only next year. I like the looks of the badlands tree hugger.

I "invented" a new way to carry all my cold weather gear by tying the legs of my bibs to the suspenders and wearing it like a backpack. It's awesome.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I end up pulling quite a few 5 hours plus trips so I like to pack some water, snacks, etc... plus all my gear. The backpack is nice to have, but I'm always trying to downsize also.

I'm going fanny pack only next year. I like the looks of the badlands tree hugger.

I "invented" a new way to carry all my cold weather gear by tying the legs of my bibs to the suspenders and wearing it like a backpack. It's awesome.

See, my bibs can zip from boots to butt crack on both sides, so I can wear them in, but I usually pack in at least 2 if not 3 upper layers. Right now they get bunjied to molle on my pack. I throw my ridge runner, shikar mini, saddle, and water bottle in my pack. Its a 5.11 rush 12 so it's relatively small

I can't imagine gaining anything unless I switch from leaning to sitting and to my solo with squirrel steps. Are you using a platform?

I have been running a fanny pack with my lighter weight / smaller platform setup all year. Predator goes inside, strap sticks and any extra layer to the bottom using the bedroll straps.

See, my bibs can zip from boots to butt crack on both sides, so I can wear them in, but I usually pack in at least 2 if not 3 upper layers. Right now they get bunjied to molle on my pack. I throw my ridge runner, shikar mini, saddle, and water bottle in my pack. Its a 5.11 rush 12 so it's relatively small

I can't imagine gaining anything unless I switch from leaning to sitting and to my solo with squirrel steps. Are you using a platform?

Yeah, l'll be strapping that and my sticks(tethrd one as soon as I can buy them) to the fanny pack.

All my other layers go inside the bibs that I have in backpack mode.

Yeah, l'll be strapping that and my sticks(tethrd one as soon as I can buy them) to the fanny pack.

All my other layers go inside the bibs that I have in backpack mode.

What fanny pack and platform?

What fanny pack and platform?

Right now I have a super cheap fanny pack, but I think I'm getting the badlands tree hugger. I've got the predator platform.

Yeah, I've been using the predator XL. I usually don't pack too many extra layers in though honestly, maybe a heavy jacket at most. I'm thinking more and more sticking with a backpack is the way to go though.

Yeah, I've been using the predator XL. I usually don't pack too many extra layers in though honestly, maybe a heavy jacket at most. I'm thinking more and more sticking with a backpack is the way to go though.
I keep looking at hip packs so I can sling bow across my back when dragging out a deer, but this backpack is hoodie and vest bungied outside, saddle and ropes including rappel system, ridge runner, shikar mini, Nalgene, and calls and scent control.
5a2372e7d8962ca266601fe0c66bcf20.jpg
a5e65a4afa7aecdb0d2361aec6c9e4f6.jpg

Hey guys. For those of you looking for a hip pack I would highly recommend the battle belt and linemans belt from Ewo. Add a pair of suspenders as well. Then you can build the pack however you want by adding molle pouches to fit your needs. I sling my sticks over my shoulder with my extra clothes strapped to the sticks. The sticks will have some of the weight on the pack and some on my shoulder.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201204-221801_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201204-221801_Gallery.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 196
I have gone through what seems like a ton of pack options. I have transitioned from a backpack, to one of my older small badlands fanny packs (they don’t make anymore), but I hate wearing a fanny pack on my hips with the saddle, rope bags, etc. So what has been working for me is that I am wearing the fanny pack sling style, over a shoulder. I can easily strap my one stick to it. With this setup, I never have to take the pack off to get the stick, or an item from the pack. When at the tree, I swing the pack around to the front, remove stick and attach it to the tree. Grab bow rope, connect, and climb. I simply swing the pack back around. I know you can do this by dropping a strap off your shoulder with the backpack, but the small fanny is so much easier and less bulk in the tree. I like it well enough that I just purchased an actual sling pack. I think this will satisfy my quest for the best setup for me.

Here is just the battle belt and pack.
You, sir, are about to cost me money. Remove my sys-es from my saddle, grab battle belt plus 2 h20 holders, a large ish flat mollepack, and put backpack straps back on my ridge runner.

Does it really need suspenders with some weight?

Back