• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Let’s see your JX3 Hybrid Pictures!

kyler1945

SH Member
Let’s see pictures of you guys in the hybrid! Pictures of setups, modifications, accessories, whatever!

Here’s a couple from last season. I love the ole producer’s chair!

54E89BC2-E660-42E3-B009-B87963E33A1F.jpeg3A5773E8-C650-409A-B5E5-EAC4308D4488.jpegFEA75433-8173-45A1-A3D8-EE5C2D0E6B1B.jpeg

Will be watching, plan on trying out the TL Ambush this season once the platform comes in but have my eye on this saddle possibly for next year.

Two sits so far, more coming this weekend. I love it overall,
ea6b2ca01d0b1db125b46c28cb2ab21c.jpg
688bc5091174212b068f66a35fca8dcf.jpg
d1526d664186f3ec4128c84a18d8c4b8.jpg
ea6b2ca01d0b1db125b46c28cb2ab21c.jpg
6a72aac231445f3d6676a49d98998343.jpg
f4cb06207e56dce93110932a7a049891.plist
16fe98a8afe63ece00286cae3a41ce8d.jpg
but have pretty much given up on wearing the pack during the climb, and I really don’t believe it’s well designed for any kind of short fall during the climb in lineman mode (plastic buckles). Here’s what I’ve got!

Anybody tried replacing the bridge with a quick link? Might be a little tight around legs. And you'd lose any bridge sliding though biner. Not sure how much the regular bridge slides anyway. Different positioning than a soft saddle.

Just felt a little like the bridge was too much stuff in my business the other day. Not a big deal, just pondering possible improvements. Love to tinker.

Anybody tried replacing the bridge with a quick link? Might be a little tight around legs. And you'd lose any bridge sliding though biner. Not sure how much the regular bridge slides anyway. Different positioning than a soft saddle.

Just felt a little like the bridge was too much stuff in my business the other day. Not a big deal, just pondering possible improvements. Love to tinker.
I have been practicing with mine with just using a pearbiner clipped between the 2 loops, I saw @kyler1945 video and knew right away that was going to be a winner for me I'm a pretty skinny dude..
Have been super busy and have not had a chance to hunt with it yet, I'm off for 10 days starting the 4th so I will post back then after I can give some real feedback on how a bridgeless setup works in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I always feel like many of us in saddles stick out like a sore thumb, at least in photos I see of guys in their setups. Especially learners. When I used to hunt from hang on stands I liked to stand close to the tree and blend in. At least in a saddle I can get behind the tree and hopefully move around it in most cases. But from the side I feel like I’m a big blob in the sky from a deer’s perspective.
I couldn’t help but notice the same thing seeing this post of guys in their JX3 rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always feel like many of us in saddles stick out like a sore thumb, at least in photos I see of guys in their setups. Especially learners. When I used to hunt from hang on stands I liked to stand close to the tree and blend in. At least in a saddle I can get behind the tree and hopefully move around it in most cases. But from the side I feel like I’m a big blob in the sky from a deer’s perspective.
I couldn’t help but notice the same thing seeing this post of guys in their JX3 rigs.

If the deer approached your hang on set from the side, it would be no different than if they approached a saddle set from the side.

I do think one advantage of the saddle and leaning is that if your feet are tight to the tree on a ring of steps, you just look like a branch growing out of the tree.

Pictures from above you or the side in the tree look very different. In each of my setups I’m either surrounded by cover, or 25’ up. No deer looked up there.

In the first picture I posted, I shot a 7 point from my guidos web in that exact tree/position two years ago. He was 15 yards away and approached from my left(behind the holly tree) and ended up behind me with an arrow in his heart before he would have had time to look for a blob.

I’ve yet to be picked off by sight in the hybrid. I’ve gotten picked off twice in the saddle that I can recall, but in both cases I would have been picked off no matter my setup. It’s a rare occurrence for me that deer get within bow range and don’t get shot for two reasons. First I hunt thick stuff 90% of the time, where deer hardly ever can see my entire body. And second, I don’t pass up many shots...

I can easily sit in mine with no bridge at all. A big carabiner was easiest to work through the loop at height. You do lose the ability to roll your hips and have the saddle roll with you. But I was able to make every shot I’d want to still. I’m still trying to figure out the perfect short bridge that still allows that movement, without the wasted length.

Replaced the bridge with two small runners. I tried to go with no bridge altogether but I started to feel some hip pinch. I attach my binos and range finder to one side of the bridge and my xbow to other. I like this set up because it keeps the bow pointed down and "at the ready" no matter how I move around the tree. I hook my fanny pack to the back of the JX-3 as I climb and then pull it around and attach to tree so all my gear is in front of me.

I use a ROS (not pictured). I like the added ability to move around the tree vs. just using top stick. 20190930_143610_resized.jpg20190918_145731_resized.jpg20190918_145735_resized_2.jpg20190918_145746_resized.jpg

If the deer approached your hang on set from the side, it would be no different than if they approached a saddle set from the side.

I do think one advantage of the saddle and leaning is that if your feet are tight to the tree on a ring of steps, you just look like a branch growing out of the tree.

Pictures from above you or the side in the tree look very different. In each of my setups I’m either surrounded by cover, or 25’ up. No deer looked up there.

In the first picture I posted, I shot a 7 point from my guidos web in that exact tree/position two years ago. He was 15 yards away and approached from my left(behind the holly tree) and ended up behind me with an arrow in his heart before he would have had time to look for a blob.

I’ve yet to be picked off by sight in the hybrid. I’ve gotten picked off twice in the saddle that I can recall, but in both cases I would have been picked off no matter my setup. It’s a rare occurrence for me that deer get within bow range and don’t get shot for two reasons. First I hunt thick stuff 90% of the time, where deer hardly ever can see my entire body. And second, I don’t pass up many shots...

I’m not comparing JX3 to Saddles. I’m comparing both to Hang on stands.
This time of year there is still good cover. That’ll be gone soon. I already tagged out from my saddle. I don’t find a lot of trees where I can get over 12-15 feet up where I hunt. I still hunt from a saddle and try to find trees with multiple stems ( trunks) for cover. Other than being able to move behind the tree though, I feel like I’m suspended in the air and easy to see. Just my thoughts.

This time of year there is still good cover. That’ll be gone soon. I already tagged out from my saddle. I don’t find a lot of trees where I can get over 12-15 feet up where I hunt. I still hunt from a saddle and try to find trees with multiple stems ( trunks) for cover. Other than being able to move behind the tree though, I feel like I’m suspended in the air and easy to see. Just my thoughts.

I love being able to swing around to the opposite side of the tree and hide. I generally set up that way. I know guys set up trying for the strong side shot. I don't. I set up to be completely hidden by the tree. Then, I swing a bit to get my shot. With the JX-3 and staying seated, the movement is minimal (esp with a xbow). I've had many encounters where I've hidden from does and other small bucks by staying on the other side of the tree To me, that's the main benefit of a saddle.

I also like the ability to just set up facing a different way then you originally thought. Esp with morning hunts. I've climbed and set up and realized I was 90 degrees off from where I should be when the sun came up. Easy adjustment with the saddle vs. a hang on.

But, I do agree with you that if you have alot of cover, a hang on is just as good. Because with tons of branches, the additional movement from a saddle is kind of negated. I guess I feel like the saddle is just more versatile. If all you have is a telephone pole, you can still hide. If you have cover, great, you can use it with the saddle to.

I hunt with a xbow. The JX-3 bridge and webbing give me a real nice stable rest. A hang on, I'm totally off hand. This doesn't apply to a vertical bow of course. In fact, I could see the JX-3 being a bit restrictive for shooting with a vertical bow vs. a hang on..but I really don't know.

I found that if a branch is cut off before it’s leaves have detached, then those leaves will die, but remain attached (at least in the ones I’ve used). These can then be placed in “drilled” holes at various angles below or wherever one needs a little cover.

Next time your in the woods after all the leaves have fallen, see if you notice any branches with leaves still attached laying around.

I found that if a branch is cut off before it’s leaves have detached, then those leaves will die, but remain attached (at least in the ones I’ve used). These can then be placed in “drilled” holes at various angles below or wherever one needs a little cover.

Next time your in the woods after all the leaves have fallen, see if you notice any branches with leaves still attached laying around.

Great idea. Maybe old xmas tree branches too.

Reactions: PJC
If I find people throwing out old artificial Christmas trees I grab them and use them for cover on preset hang on stands.

Reactions: MEB
Each time I add to a JX3 thread I’m waiting for someone to reply explaining the plastic buckles to me, put my mind at ease, never happens. Seems the safety features of the kit are great, assuming you do not take a short static fall.

Each time I add to a JX3 thread I’m waiting for someone to reply explaining the plastic buckles to me, put my mind at ease, never happens. Seems the safety features of the kit are great, assuming you do not take a short static fall.

I agree. They don't seem very robust. I wear a minimalist RC harness underneath with a 2nd tether...but I would do this anyway, even if the buckles were solid. They could be fine. The JX-3 web site says the webbing is rated, but I don't think that necessarily includes the buckles.

Back