• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Let’s Talk Saddle Leg Straps Again

Preferred leg strap type?

• Step through design - load rated - not adjustable but multiple size options to choose from

• Step through design - load rated - webbing with rated slider

• G-hook design - not load rated - adjustable

• Raptor buckle design - load rated - adjustable

• Separate leg strap design without buckles or hooks - load rated - not sewn directly into saddle

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

kmleach

Vendor Rep
I know this topic has been well visited in the past, but with as many new saddle hunters as there have been this season and more product options to choose from, curious what everyone’s favorite option is now for leg straps. It seems like most are in one of three camps:

1. Use them to help keep the saddle in place and not worried about them being load rated

2. Load rated leg straps are preferred for safety

3. I’d cut them off if I didn’t just pay $250 and wait 8 weeks for the saddle

There’s also the question of adjustable vs fixed now since the Trophyline release.

G hooks for me. I am going to mod my yarak with tethrd ghooks

I like the g hooks/t hooks. I like the raptor buckles. Not a fan of the standard buckle on the kite. Not a fan of fixed loops but would prefer them over the standard kite.

I fall into the small group that feels a leg strap doesn’t have to be rated to be useful. It must only keep the saddle in place until everything gets pulled tight at which time tha saddle shouldn’t move.

Like any other part of your system you need to evaluate your uses and determine what options are best for you. When I’m doing some kind of experimental climbing it’s nice to have all rated equipment.

I have a Kestrel (not the Flex) and don't like the leg straps. I tied them up for a while then just cut them off,I didn't feel the need for them. I cannot see me ever selling this saddle, I think it's awesome! I had a Mantis and felt I needed the straps to keep it in place and eventually sold it. I have a Kite coming, I'll do the same, tie back the leg straps to see it It's comfortable.
PS. I have done a 360 in the Kestrel without the leg straps.

I have a Mantis and during the season had the thought that I didn't need the leg straps. Well let me tell you, I had to roll to the weakside to shoot my buck this year and when I rolled and leaned back the saddle came off my ass and ended up under my rib cage. It hindered my draw, and made it an unfamiliar situation,( it changes your center, which changes your balance point). I always practiced with the leg straps attached' so it's my bad that I changed something mid season without seeing how it would effect things. luckily I taped them up as an experiment and didn't just cut them off. So for me, it's leg straps to keep the saddle solidly in place. If you think about it the saddle is like the tires on your car. It's the thing that attaches you to the stuff that attaches you to the tree. I want mine to be positively attached to me, because I don't exactly know how I'm going to need to twist and turn and lean in order to get an arrow where it needs to be, and the last thing I want to be thinking about at that critical moment is my saddle.

I want to cut them off my Mantis...I’m just too afraid not to use them. It doesnt feel right without them. Some day Im sure Ill grow a set and cut them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modded both my Aero saddles with the Tethered G hooks, perfect. Light and simple. The Mantis didn't seem to have quite the right anglulation going on, I could never get those leg straps quite where I wanted them. Adjustable leg straps are a must for me, they keep the saddle in place and I cinch them down for hiking. I personally don't see any situation for them to be load bearing.

I don't mind mine on the Kestrel Flex with the buckles. I find I never have to adjust them and the keepers work well for me... I don't even notice the excess. Same really on my mantis with the G-hooks, I attach them near the micro-fit adjusters. They are easy to tighten and loosen, which is necessary to take them on and off for me.
I prefer the Kestrel Flex ones, however, they are heavier and can be a bit louder.

Went with g-hooks on my DIY Kestrel and prefer to use them to keep the saddle where it should be. I've never noticed them to be in the way one bit. Can walk with my saddle on and they are easy to hook and unhook. I thought out where I wanted them to connect and worked on the right angle so it fits my body.

Am I the only person who has problems with the G hooks randomly popping off? Happens to me all the time. I kind of hate them because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Am I the only person who has problems with the G hooks randomly popping off? Happens to me all the time. I kind of hate them because of it.

The little green ones suck. The tethrd ones I did not have that issue.

The little green ones suck. The tethrd ones I did not have that issue.

I have issues with both older green and newer orange G hooks. I actually took to putting a single wrap of camoform around the hook and that seems to help.

I have issues with both older green and newer orange G hooks. I actually took to putting a single wrap of camoform around the hook and that seems to help.

the little elastic hair ties work well to keep them in place also

If the leg straps were not needed to keep the saddle in place, which it seems like most that prefer the g-hooks are using them for, would that change your opinion?

Seems to me in any kind of mishap on the climb, whether lineman or tether, leg straps would serve the purpose of not having the saddle slide up your torso, possibly all the way to armpits, what am I missing? Sure if you assume you will never have a fall they’re less important, but if you are assuming that you can also probably get away with ropes half of current diameter.

When I one stick wearing the Kestrel the leg straps are critical to keeping me the in saddle. It rides up on me in normal and the steep angle hanging while one sticking is considerably worse and feels sketchy. My straps are staying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back