• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lets streamline our setup

Bgolladay

So I have tried one sticking and rappelling, granted I did not have a purpose built stick specifically for the task. I see the merits to the system and its a great concept that I may re-visit this offseason to test out. I have been solely using standard full length beast sticks, awesome stick, love everything about them. I primarily carry three of them with 22" cable aiders on each of them, sometimes I use a fourth stick but not often. However that step spacing gives me fits when it gets cold outside and my range of movement starts to diminish due to a few layers, it is entirely possible to make it work and I have made it work for the last few years. But I seen the beast minis in stock and I jumped on it to give them a shot. No real experience with them as I just received them last week and sick infants have kept me out of the woods, but from initial comparisons in the yard at the house they appear to be the ticket. These sticks will be paired with my mission platform, i love the platform, yes its heavier, yes its bulkier, but compared to my gen 1 predator I used for two years I love the capabilities of this thing.

Now with all of that covered lets talk about streamlining the process. I know this is a long post and it may seem like a rinse a repeat thread thats often covered but I could not find the information I am wanting from the search engine.

I have been using a mystery ranch pop-up 28 to carry all of my gear. It is a great pack, very well built, very durable, and it carries the weight very well, however once in the tree it seems like everything is just piled on top of each other and it leaves you rummaging around to get what you want. I can deal with that, it serves its main purpose very well. But the thing that is driving me crazy is the lack of efficiency once I get to the tree. So lets talk options I have researched and lets compare these options against each other since this place has without a doubt the highest amount of hunting gear junkies and people seeking efficiency from their setup. Collective experiences and ideas from different perspectives is how truly awesome products, and systems are born.

First up. Lone wolf custom gear. Insanely nice stands, very well thought out. Cant beat the system if you want to use the LWCG sticks as well, however I have zero interest in using them. The double steps were very intriguing, but the bolts for standoffs and the instability issues are a big no from me. However ditching the pack, using the sidekick bow holder, small fanny pack in conjunction with the under the seat pouch and using the stand as your frame for meat hauling and gear hauling is very very appealing. The .5 looks great but I have no experience with it and I dont know if it would handle side pressure well from a saddle perspective. But the streamlined idea has my interest and I would not be opposed to returning to a hang on if that system was all it seems to be.

Next up is the large fanny pack with shoulder straps. These are the packs i am interested in. Sitka tool belt, trophyline platow, and badlands monster fanny. All of these packs are the same general idea. Strap my sticks to the bottom of the pack horizontally, and either strap my platform to the shoulder area of the pack or follow the youtube video I watched of staggs in the wild. Get the foam pad and shoulder straps and carry it that way over the fanny pack shoulder straps, that way can also be used for early season by attaching a few sticks to the platform and just carrying that with no pack or a very small fanny pack.

The whole idea here is to get to where i spend less time at the bottom of the tree when i get there and when i am leaving trying to unstrap things and pack it all together. I would like to just hook my doyles to my bow, maybe take my pack off to access my sticks and hang them from my hips if I cant successfully just grab one at a time quietly while i am ascending the tree.

I hope this wasnt too long and I hope I can get some solid ideas and experiences with all of this gear, and hopefully somebody or several people has tried all of these packs and stands and has determined what works best.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’ve been using the platow this season so far. About 8ish sits. Platform hooked on the back, and I carry 3 modded hawk heliums underneath. For me, it works because I can detach each of those things and take them off the pack without taking my pack off. My gear hoist is attached to my pack, that gets Hooked up, 1st stick attached to tree, next 2 onto my hips, then up I go. At height I take my platform off the pack (without taking pack off) set that up and I’m ready to go. Seems like you’re on the right track. Each time up a tree you should be self-assessing your process.

for instance for me I have been using a CAYG aider and hate it lol. I’m waiting on aiders to be deliver, one less thing for me to have to fumble with

So here's my one sticking set up: I put my saddle on at the pickup with my tether in right pouch on the saddle, linesman in the left pouch. My one stick/platform is strapped to my MR popup 28 on the back, Doyle's on the kidney belt on the pack in a canteen pouch on my right.
I get to the tree, take off the pack and remove the one stick/platform, I take out my linesman on my left pouch and clip back to my linesman loop, I take out my tether from my right pouch and loop it over my shoulders, I clip my bow to the Doyle's then attach my one stick to the tree and start the process.
Once at height, I use a daisy chain of amsteel, take off my pack and hang it. I reach down to the Doyle's and pull my bow up and hang it. I unzip all my pouches on the bag I may need so I don't make anymore noise and go about my hunt. I keep my rappel gear (including rope) in the inner pouch on the MR28 to keep it separate from my extra clothes I keep in the main compartment.
You could just as easily carry the stick/platform in one hand and bow in the other if you didn't want to take off your pack.

Last edited:
After a season of actual hunting, I've greatly pared down what I carry since I SRT.

I started with a backpack which carried my rope bag and everything else I "thought" I needed. I've since ditched my binoculars since for my distances, my 6x rangefinder worked fine. I also didn't like hanging the pack in the tree as it got in the way and was largely empty once I setup the rope.

I've downsized to a small sling bag which is just big enough to carry a drink, knife, saw, spare paracord and spare release with the platform attached to the outside. For my rope bag, if finally hit me to make a backpack style bag similar to those cheap bags that have rope straps that cinches on the top. Making my own, I was able to size it to my needs and add pockets for the ascender and rappel device.

For my rope bag, if finally hit me to make a backpack style bag similar to those cheap bags that have rope straps that cinches on the top. Making my own, I was able to size it to my needs and add pockets for the ascender and rappel device.

That is a great idea MNFarmHunter....thanks for that tip. Might work well with the JX3 I have on order and would be ultra-light as well.

Bring less crap in the tree. I’ve hunted a lot with the pop up. Once I’m set up in tree, I hardly go in the bag. Put stuff in it, in reverse order of how you’ll use it. Efficiency is using everything you bring, in the order you packed it. Elegance is everything you bring not being enough to be annoying to pack or have a need to search for.

That is a great idea MNFarmHunter....thanks for that tip. Might work well with the JX3 I have on order and would be ultra-light as well.
Once in the tree, I hang my rope bag off the gear strap and store the excess climbing rope in it. The original bag didn't have shoulder straps which was fine when carrying it in another backpack but that was stupid. When I downsized to a sling bag, I either had to carry the bag in my hand or think of something else. Meanwhile, I had one of those cinch bags that my Aerohunter saddle came in that I kept moving around my office when it finally dawned on me to make a bag just like it.

It's smaller than the average cinch bag, has interior pockets sewn in and has an external loop for attaching to my gear strap. I made it out of canvas duck since I had some laying around but would like to make one out of cordura for water repellent and absorption reasons.

I have hunted with the Pop Up and sticks for the last couple of years. The bag has it's purpose but, for most of the season it is unnecessary and can get in the way/be mildly annoying at times. I have CGM working on a molle panel for me that will clip to the Pop Up frame in place of the bag. This will let me carry my sticks in the meat shelf, have a molle pouch or two for small items and strap my extra layer to the outside, which is what I do now but, a molle panel will let me do it more efficiently.

I have hunted with the Pop Up and sticks for the last couple of years. The bag has it's purpose but, for most of the season it is unnecessary and can get in the way/be mildly annoying at times. I have CGM working on a molle panel for me that will clip to the Pop Up frame in place of the bag. This will let me carry my sticks in the meat shelf, have a molle pouch or two for small items and strap my extra layer to the outside, which is what I do now but, a molle panel will let me do it more efficiently.
Good point! I only use the Pop Up in colder weather when I need extra clothes. I carry a backpack most of the season.

the bags that JX3 is coming out with will pair quite nicely with what you’re referring to here. I’ve been tinkering with it. I may forgo the pop up bag completely so I keep my bags the same no matter the setup

So I have tried one sticking and rappelling, granted I did not have a purpose built stick specifically for the task. I see the merits to the system and its a great concept that I may re-visit this offseason to test out. I have been solely using standard full length beast sticks, awesome stick, love everything about them. I primarily carry three of them with 22" cable aiders on each of them, sometimes I use a fourth stick but not often. However that step spacing gives me fits when it gets cold outside and my range of movement starts to diminish due to a few layers, it is entirely possible to make it work and I have made it work for the last few years. But I seen the beast minis in stock and I jumped on it to give them a shot. No real experience with them as I just received them last week and sick infants have kept me out of the woods, but from initial comparisons in the yard at the house they appear to be the ticket. These sticks will be paired with my mission platform, i love the platform, yes its heavier, yes its bulkier, but compared to my gen 1 predator I used for two years I love the capabilities of this thing.

Now with all of that covered lets talk about streamlining the process. I know this is a long post and it may seem like a rinse a repeat thread thats often covered but I could not find the information I am wanting from the search engine.

I have been using a mystery ranch pop-up 28 to carry all of my gear. It is a great pack, very well built, very durable, and it carries the weight very well, however once in the tree it seems like everything is just piled on top of each other and it leaves you rummaging around to get what you want. I can deal with that, it serves its main purpose very well. But the thing that is driving me crazy is the lack of efficiency once I get to the tree. So lets talk options I have researched and lets compare these options against each other since this place has without a doubt the highest amount of hunting gear junkies and people seeking efficiency from their setup. Collective experiences and ideas from different perspectives is how truly awesome products, and systems are born.

First up. Lone wolf custom gear. Insanely nice stands, very well thought out. Cant beat the system if you want to use the LWCG sticks as well, however I have zero interest in using them. The double steps were very intriguing, but the bolts for standoffs and the instability issues are a big no from me. However ditching the pack, using the sidekick bow holder, small fanny pack in conjunction with the under the seat pouch and using the stand as your frame for meat hauling and gear hauling is very very appealing. The .5 looks great but I have no experience with it and I dont know if it would handle side pressure well from a saddle perspective. But the streamlined idea has my interest and I would not be opposed to returning to a hang on if that system was all it seems to be.

Next up is the large fanny pack with shoulder straps. These are the packs i am interested in. Sitka tool belt, trophyline platow, and badlands monster fanny. All of these packs are the same general idea. Strap my sticks to the bottom of the pack horizontally, and either strap my platform to the shoulder area of the pack or follow the youtube video I watched of staggs in the wild. Get the foam pad and shoulder straps and carry it that way over the fanny pack shoulder straps, that way can also be used for early season by attaching a few sticks to the platform and just carrying that with no pack or a very small fanny pack.

The whole idea here is to get to where i spend less time at the bottom of the tree when i get there and when i am leaving trying to unstrap things and pack it all together. I would like to just hook my doyles to my bow, maybe take my pack off to access my sticks and hang them from my hips if I cant successfully just grab one at a time quietly while i am ascending the tree.

I hope this wasnt too long and I hope I can get some solid ideas and experiences with all of this gear, and hopefully somebody or several people has tried all of these packs and stands and has determined what works best.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Very similar setup, I’ve had full length beasts & minis currently only use the fulls. They fit perfectly onto my MR treehouse which I really prefer once in the tree. If you set them upside down & set the pack on the ground they’ll match up perfectly. If you want to add a mission or edp just hook the platform horizontally on top of the double steps then that top strap locks it all in place…… at the bottom of the tree I take off my pack sticks up, hook the platform to a hanger on my saddle, the top 2 sticks have a parasite loop that attach to kydex clips on either hip of my saddle, the bottom 2 sticks get hung from the ground. Attach my bow to my Doyle’s hoist , pack on & up the tree I go…… not sure if this streamlines anything but it’s efficient about 5-10 minutes up the tree & 5 minutes down the tree. I wrap my stick straps as I climb back down & put all 3-4 of them together as I pull the last one off right on my pack grab my platform stack/strap & go. Just find a system & work it out. I used to pride myself in walking up to the tree & start climbing without taking my pack off…… it took more time & was tougher to do as the season got colder & adding layers. I’d rather spend 2 minutes at the base of the tree getting dialed in than hanging off the side fumbling for things.

the bags that JX3 is coming out with will pair quite nicely with what you’re referring to here. I’ve been tinkering with it. I may forgo the pop up bag completely so I keep my bags the same no matter the setup
I’ll add if you keep your beast full sticks they fit perfectly in the JX3, minis not so much….

Back