• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Light wind proof outer layer- need recommendation.

trapperm

I don’t care to get into a Sitka Vs First Lite battle. Just putting that out there.

I’m looking for a light relatively non insulated outer shell for bow hunting out of a saddle. I tried a Sitka stratus jacket on and wasn’t a fan of the cut as it seemed short in the front and long in the back. Designed for use with their bibs maybe?

Any of you know of something similar? I want windproof and quiet or as close to that as I can get. That Stratus jacket would be about perfect given the fit was a little different.

TM

Scent Loc Revenant jacket. If by light you mean early season, then no, this would not work. It is wind proof and very warm but light weight feeling and cut with tight sleeves for bowhunting. The good thing about Scent lok is they run specials all the time. Revenants on closeout now 52% off.

Closeout Specials | ScentLok

I have the Stratus set and absolutely love it. However if the fit of the whitetail stuff doesn’t suit you try the Sitka Dakota hoody. Different cut/fit in their waterfowl stuff. It’s windproof and quiet

Probably not what u looking for/want to hear but there has been a lot of "windproof" talk on here lately and I have been experimenting with it....cheapest, easiest thing I mess with has been taking a frogg togg ultalite suit and putting it on under my normal clothes....tumble in ur drier on no heat with some tennis balls and it softens/quiets the material.... May not be for u but that's a extremely lightweight and cheap option...

Probably not what u looking for/want to hear but there has been a lot of "windproof" talk on here lately and I have been experimenting with it....cheapest, easiest thing I mess with has been taking a frogg togg ultalite suit and putting it on under my normal clothes....tumble in ur drier on no heat with some tennis balls and it softens/quiets the material.... May not be for u but that's a extremely lightweight and cheap option...
How much does it quieten the suit down?

walking in with a windproof layer is a sweat box

i carry my insulating mid layers and a wind shirt in and put them on in the tree, with the wind proof layer right under my exterior jacket layer

i typically only have a base layer and thin outer/exterior layer on when walking

I don’t care to get into a Sitka Vs First Lite battle. Just putting that out there.

I’m looking for a light relatively non insulated outer shell for bow hunting out of a saddle. I tried a Sitka stratus jacket on and wasn’t a fan of the cut as it seemed short in the front and long in the back. Designed for use with their bibs maybe?

Any of you know of something similar? I want windproof and quiet or as close to that as I can get. That Stratus jacket would be about perfect given the fit was a little different.

TM
How lightweight are we talking? What temp range? I really like the Scentlok Wind Brace. Absolutely windproof and is lightly insulated. It’s my go to for 50s-60s weather by itself, colder with a mid layer

Well....the drier is mostly softening the material and the outer clothes make it quiet.... I'm confident to bow hunt with it. No more noisy than say the wrangler outdoors wally world pants
Nice, I may have to give that a try.

I have a Sitka flash pullover. It’s basically just a GORE-TEX windstopper shell. It’s light but can have a little noise. But if I need it I don’t care so much about the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Sitka flash pullover. It’s basically just a GORE-TEX windstopper shell. It’s light but can have a little noise. But if I need it I don’t care so much about the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep...if it's windy enough for a windbreaker it gonna be noisy in general all around in the woods....

I forget all u guys don't live by me...hahaha

I got very little real cold weather experience and I try stay outta the cold weather related talks....but those frogg toggs do work really good as a windbreaker

I forget all u guys don't live by me...hahaha

I got very little real cold weather experience and I try stay outta the cold weather related talks....but those frogg toggs do work really good as a windbreaker

i've got their waders and an orange vest from them, very good for the price point

How lightweight are we talking? What temp range? I really like the Scentlok Wind Brace. Absolutely windproof and is lightly insulated. It’s my go to for 50s-60s weather by itself, colder with a mid layer

Id wear a black trash bag if that says much. The plan is to just use it as a shell with base and mid layers as needed.

I have warmer outer pieces for when the temps are
colder than say 40 for a high.

An OR Helium rain jacket would probably work great if you put a soft layer over it. It is uber light but a little crinkly, not as bad as a lot of rain jackets.

Back