• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lightest Saddle

Kevin2

Looking for the lightest saddle that has been tested AND proven to be safe. I thought I saw a new saddle that came out this year, at about 1lb, but can't find it. Figure there has to be a few saddles on the market that have been tested to be safe and are light. Love my Latitude Method 2, at a bit over 2lbs, but I'm looking to replace it and get something a bit lighter.

Looking for the lightest saddle that has been tested AND proven to be safe. I thought I saw a new saddle that came out this year, at about 1lb, but can't find it. Figure there has to be a few saddles on the market that have been tested to be safe and are light. Love my Latitude Method 2, at a bit over 2lbs, but I'm looking to replace it and get something a bit lighter.
IDK man that method 2 has got to be one of the lightest, maybe their single panel would be a little lighter. I know I found it more comfortable that is for sure. Tethrd mantis was 1 lb if you enjoy being uncomfortable more than you enjoy carrying extra weight.

While you're at it, what is the weight of the rest of your system? I bet you could shave some weight in some other areas that wouldn't sacrifice comfort in the tree.

TN Nano is advertised at 1lb. Madhunts had it slightly heavier. They claim it "meets OSHA Fall Restraint". Not sure what they mean by that.

The Agile hunting Saddle is likely lighter. Theres some others around 1lb.

My early season lightweight saddle is the Wood Hunting Saddles Original. It's mesh, and has enough size for a bit of extra comfort. It's not heavier enough for me to care about the race to the bottom.

The dryad hammock saddle, I forget what they call it. Weighs nearly nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I did a tethrd mantis it would only be because I had a fleece saddle to go over it. Fleece saddle is light and comfortable. The mantis is only light.

The dryad hammock saddle, I forget what they call it. Weighs nearly nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea their premium rock climbing harness is listed at 17 oz, add a fleece to that or their mini drey and you'd have a decent combo.
Mutiny + mini drey listed at 25 oz, probably as close as you can get to a fleece saddle.

TN Nano is advertised at 1lb. Madhunts had it slightly heavier. They claim it "meets OSHA Fall Restraint". Not sure what they mean by that.

My early season lightweight saddle is the Wood Hunting Saddles Original. It's mesh, and has enough size for a bit of extra comfort. It's not heavier enough for me to care about the race to the bottom.
I think OSHA fall restraint is 5k pounds or about 22kN. @Fl Canopy Stalker ?

Attachments

• The Ultimate Saddle Review Spreadsheet - All Saddles (1).pdf
    972.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I think OSHA fall restraint is 5k pounds or about 22kN. @Fl Canopy Stalker ?
No sir “fall restraint” is only 10x the rated work load. So for 300 lbs, 3000 lbs is the requirement.
fall arrest is usually 22kN, work positioning requires at minimum 10x the working load for static pull and the ability to handle that load in a 2’ fall.

Unfortunately, I have already shed every single gram, ounce, and lb from my entire set up, from boots to everything else I wear or bring! DOWN to the nitty gritty now! Each off season I address everything I bring, decide if I really need it AND if I do, can I lighten it somehow. I've shed a few additional lbs this year again.
what is the weight of the rest of your system? I bet you could shave some weight in some other areas that wouldn't sacrifice comfort in the tree.

I had the GEN 1 Agile last year, and I returned it. It has some issues with the bridge adjustment. Otherwise I loved the fit and weight. Not sure if they've had it tested yet, GEN 1 or 2? WHICH makes me a little nervous. OSHA is pretty important.

No sir “fall restraint” is only 10x the rated work load. So for 300 lbs, 3000 lbs is the requirement.
fall arrest is usually 22kN, work positioning requires at minimum 10x the working load for static pull and the ability to handle that load in a 2’ fall.
This is why I called the experts :)

Back