• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lineman’s With a Minimal Harness

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
So, I use a petzl pandion minimal rc harness with a sitdrag. I used one stick or one aider all last year. I have never used a lineman’s belt. I slide my tether up the tree as I climb because my harness only has the one attachment up front. I really don’t want to get another harness because this one weighs nothing and works great under my sit drag.

Well, I picked up some spurs and am wondering what my options are for climbing safely with what I have. I don’t think sliding a girth hitched tether up is going to be fun. It hasn’t been lol. Can I rig a LB to my only attachment point up front? what else could I do? I have plenty of rope to play with.

Thanks,

Shawn

Interesting...I've been thinking of ditching the LB and going to your system of moving the tether all the way up/down, only because the thought of trying to recover from a situation where the LB "saves" me sounds...unpleasant.

A lineman's belt gives you much more stability IMO - as it has two points of contact on opposite of your body. A tether gives you only one in front of your body. Yo can make either work buy IMO using a lineman's belt makes it far easier to set sticks, steps, etc. Not sure about spurs as I don't use them.

wow...that doesn't even have gear loops. lol

if you're good at sewing you could add webbing loops to either hip of the belt. I sewed a complete webbing belt to the inside of my sit drag (with an austri alpin mil spec cobra buckle....so I could use the sit drag loops to attach a linemans as well as my bridge. wasn't ideal but it worked...then I bought a metolius r/c harness that even the gear loops are climbing rated so I could use the gear loops as linemans attachement points.

long an short of it is you're gonna spend $$ either way so it may be cheaper & easier to just by a linemans belt.

The problem isn't how to rig it up, the problem is what do you do when you encounter obstacles on the way up with only one attachment point? Unless you're climbing trunks with no branches you're going to have to detach to get past it which isn't safe.

@brydan as said in the other thread...flip line and tether should be interchangeable. so no excuse to not have 2. even if one is a prussik and one is an ascender :)

The problem isn't how to rig it up, the problem is what do you do when you encounter obstacles on the way up with only one attachment point? Unless you're climbing trunks with no branches you're going to have to detach to get past it which isn't safe.

My tether is double ended so I simply use the other end to clear a branch. Prusick to my harness so it works both ways. Totally safe.

I can use this system but like DaveT1963 said it’s not stable and a pain to flip up even though I see it being easier with my feet at a level height.

@brydan as said in the other thread...flip line and tether should be interchangeable. so no excuse to not have 2. even if one is a prussik and one is an ascender :)

I have several tethers and a rappel line that I climb with should be just a matter of changing rigging to become a LB.

I’m just wanting to speed up my ascent with the new spurs and hoping to keep my minimalist harness.

I have several tethers and a rappel line that I climb with should be just a matter of changing rigging to become a LB.

I’m just wanting to speed up my ascent with the new spurs and hoping to keep my minimalist harness.
If your sit drag is rigged with a waist belt mod like G2's video ; you could use it around your waist as a linesman belt. It already has the two attachment loops.

My tether is double ended so I simply use the other end to clear a branch. Prusick to my harness so it works both ways. Totally safe.

I can use this system but like DaveT1963 said it’s not stable and a pain to flip up even though I see it being easier with my feet at a level height.

If it's double ended then you can stay tied in, just attach both the prusik and the end of flipline to the center attachment point instead of at each hip. It's a simple set-up just not very comfortable to do it that way but it'll work and will be easier to advance than it choked to the stem. There's other ways to connect to a spar but adding more gear negates the weight savings of using an ultralight harness.

This a 2 in 1 lanyard is where it's at.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back