• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Loc-On Refurbish Project

KYHunter

I was gifted this Loc-On from a buddy of mines father. He said it was a Windwalker model and as far as I can tell he is correct(someone may correct me tho if I’m wrong).
The way he had it rigged was very unique. He had attached a carpeted wooden platform with spray insulation and had wrapped almost every surface in felt. Very quiet but it also added a lot of weight. He also used a screw in T-handle to hang the stand. He had attached a ece of aluminum tube to the rear of the seat supports, drilled a vertical hole, and would fit this over the T-screw and then hunt it.
My goal is to refurbish this stand and get to use it as a hybrid platform/stand.

Any and all advice is welcome! I’ll post pics as I go.

Attachments

• C10DAC67-E959-4E48-AE79-20FB99F80AE8.jpeg
    C10DAC67-E959-4E48-AE79-20FB99F80AE8.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 244
Here’s the mounting hole I mentioned.

Attachments

• 75210EF4-AD7B-4F65-9F10-73DE64114EBC.jpg
    75210EF4-AD7B-4F65-9F10-73DE64114EBC.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 125
If u take the carpet in do I’ll be able to tell u

I was gifted this Loc-On from a buddy of mines father. He said it was a Windwalker model and as far as I can tell he is correct(someone may correct me tho if I’m wrong).
The way he had it rigged was very unique. He had attached a carpeted wooden platform with spray insulation and had wrapped almost every surface in felt. Very quiet but it also added a lot of weight. He also used a screw in T-handle to hang the stand. He had attached a ece of aluminum tube to the rear of the seat supports, drilled a vertical hole, and would fit this over the T-screw and then hunt it.
My goal is to refurbish this stand and get to use it as a hybrid platform/stand.

Any and all advice is welcome! I’ll post pics as I go.

I bought a Loc On Limit last year. I put a new seat on it, replaced all bolts with grade 8 yellow zinc, and replaced the cable. I found a company that will make custom cables to any size. I can dig out the name if you want. Also, garage door installers that are local can make them for you.

@Anobody Here’s with wood and carpet off

Attachments

• 58468A52-D423-407C-8EC8-7D4F270902EA.jpeg
    58468A52-D423-407C-8EC8-7D4F270902EA.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 163
I bought a Loc On Limit last year. I put a new seat on it, replaced all bolts with grade 8 yellow zinc, and replaced the cable. I found a company that will make custom cables to any size. I can dig out the name if you want. Also, garage door installers that are local can make them for you.
Yea I should probably replace cables to be safe. I would love that site name if you think of it

Is that square tubing with the hole drilled through it original? I’m assuming not from what he told me

Attachments

• 713A6DC5-9060-478D-AE42-D19849BCD627.jpeg
    713A6DC5-9060-478D-AE42-D19849BCD627.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 94

Arrow3 thank you for posting that seat link. Before I order, anyone have any other ideas for seat materials? I contacted the Hazmore net guy. I've used his net seats on all my climbers years ago. He was nice enough to send me some net to try. I'm still fiddling with it trying to get it perfect and stay there, but always looking for better options. I've thought about having a nylon webbing type seat as well. No popping and noise is paramount whatever it is.

Arrow3 thank you for posting that seat link. Before I order, anyone have any other ideas for seat materials? I contacted the Hazmore net guy. I've used his net seats on all my climbers years ago. He was nice enough to send me some net to try. I'm still fiddling with it trying to get it perfect and stay there, but always looking for better options. I've thought about having a nylon webbing type seat as well. No popping and noise is paramount whatever it is.

I bought one of those. It is way too stretchy. You'll be sitting low and all funky. Totally unusable for me. I found an original one on ebay that is made out of a non-stretch heavy fabric and used it.

I bought one of those. It is way too stretchy. You'll be sitting low and all funky. Totally unusable for me. I found an original one on ebay that is made out of a non-stretch heavy fabric and used it.

Just to show a difference of preference... I bought one from slumped and like it. Little bit of stretch, but I thought it made it more comfortable.

i have made mine from webbing, in a H pattern . il see if i can find a picture.

i have made mine from webbing, in a H pattern . il see if i can find a picture.

2nd this concept. Rated nylon webbing has proven durability.

No expert here, but I have had a fabric seat break during a hunt (and this was before I got, ehm, bigger). Luckily it was a ground chair, but set up just like a loc-on seat.

The original stand’s seat was cordura with “extra padding”

Someone with the sewing skills could probably alter a millennium replacement seat and they seem to hold up well.

I had a guy custom make me a replacement seat (same guy who sells them on eBay) in the fabric of my choice. I sent him a yard of 1000D cordura in the True Timber Strata pattern. He made me three seats and worked out to about $17 a seat. I can pm you his info if you’re looking for a replacement.

I usually use some type of extra pad on top the seat anyway, to get just a little tiny bit of height for my 6ft frame. I'm almost tempted at times to re-engineer a bigger type of sling seat like an M7 or such, maybe not quite so big. If I was an aluminum welder I would have done it already haha.

Ok so I got replacement cables from EWO and are getting them installed now. I’ve got some questions about the proper placement tho.
Do the cables attach to the top screws of the plate or the bottom screws? When attached to the top it doesn’t seem like the stand will be perpendicular to the tree.

Also, there are additional holes in the two vertical posts. What would be their purpose?

I’ll attach pics.

Last edited:
Back