• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Longbows?

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Is anyone here using a Hill Style Bow? I really like this style bow and I have several. My main hunting bow is a Northern Mist Classic, 68 inches, 56# at 28 inches. I also have a Howard Hill Tembo, 68", 63#@ 28 and a Bobby Lofton Osage 68", 67# @ 28". The 67 pound Lofton is my "strength bow" currently. I mostly use Douglas Fir shafts and make my own arrows. Broadheads are 190 grain Grizzly single bevels or 190 grain Tuffhead single bevels.

I hunted with the Northern Mist last season quite a bit and actually missed two bucks inside 15 yards. The first was a 15 yard shot off the ground at a broadside buck. I expected him to drop as he caught me near full draw. I aimed just under his right armpit and that is where that arrow went. He didn't drop. He just stood there until the arrow was in the dirt behind him.

The second was a cruising buck in thick timber. He came in nose to the ground like a beagle and zig zagged around. I had to stand and pivot and take the shot at 12 yards. The arrow went just in front of his chest and never cut a hair. The height was perfect. He never knew I shot at him. He just kept zig zagging on that scent trail.

I have been remiss about taking out the longbow this season. I may get out a few times yet.

Years ago I had a Northen Mist string fallow bow...can’t remember the model. Fun bow to shoot. I hunted with it but never got a shot. Wouldn’t mind another.

Years ago I had a Northen Mist string fallow bow...can’t remember the model. Fun bow to shoot. I hunted with it but never got a shot. Wouldn’t mind another.
String follow longbows are supposed to be the most forgiving of all. If and when I have a custom bow made I will likely have a Northern Mist Classic made 68", somewhere around 50# at 28. It would be tempting to have one with some string follow. I believe Howard Hill favored string follow bows.

I think a longbow is the ultimate traditional bow and someday I hope to have a nice one. I have a cheaper on and it’s a whole different game from my ILF bows. I know good longbows can get pricey but hunting with a longbow is on my bucket list. Not having any shops around that sell them makes it difficult to make a good choice.

Ebay can be your friend in this regard. There are occasionally some great deals. That is how I picked up my Northern Mist. I took a chance and bought it for a great price and have been very happy. Do some research into makers and bows and get an idea what you are looking at and what draw weight range you want. Remember, it is easy to overbow yourself with too heavy a draw weight bow. If you shoot say a 60 pound compound look for something in the 40 to 45 pound range to start.

Back in the day Lofton was bow to have. I have taken quiet a few deer with his bows
I was very lucky to be gifted the Bobbly Lofton I have from a friend and mentor who got me into traditional bows. At one time it was his favorite bow and he bought it from Bobby Lofton. He was no longer able to draw heavy bows so he gave it to me since he wanted to see it get some use. It is right at my upper limit right now at 68# so I usually warm up on my 56 or 63 pound bows but it is a real shooter. I need to get some hunting arrows made up for it and take it out for some hunts this fall.

What weight and specifics was the Lofton you had?

I'm eating instant noodles and bologna sandwich for lunch in the next few months saving to maybe buy something because of this site. Come join me. You're the only other members of the 5+ kids club that I know....
My 5th kid is due in two weeks. I’ll join the club. Y’all can blame me for the future purchases. You’re welcome.

My 5th kid is due in two weeks. I’ll join the club. Y’all can blame me for the future purchases. You’re welcome.

Congrats man! You found yourself a good lady. Not many understand the polite thing to do. Which is having babies only AFTER deer season.

We are pretty relax in regards to memberships.
Only rule of the club is.
Dont repeat what l said to my wife.

Is anyone here using a Hill Style Bow? I really like this style bow and I have several. My main hunting bow is a Northern Mist Classic, 68 inches, 56# at 28 inches. I also have a Howard Hill Tembo, 68", 63#@ 28 and a Bobby Lofton Osage 68", 67# @ 28". The 67 pound Lofton is my "strength bow" currently. I mostly use Douglas Fir shafts and make my own arrows. Broadheads are 190 grain Grizzly single bevels or 190 grain Tuffhead single bevels.

I hunted with the Northern Mist last season quite a bit and actually missed two bucks inside 15 yards. The first was a 15 yard shot off the ground at a broadside buck. I expected him to drop as he caught me near full draw. I aimed just under his right armpit and that is where that arrow went. He didn't drop. He just stood there until the arrow was in the dirt behind him.

The second was a cruising buck in thick timber. He came in nose to the ground like a beagle and zig zagged around. I had to stand and pivot and take the shot at 12 yards. The arrow went just in front of his chest and never cut a hair. The height was perfect. He never knew I shot at him. He just kept zig zagging on that scent trail.

I have been remiss about taking out the longbow this season. I may get out a few times yet.
It seems that the shot at the first buck was perfect. The arrow went right where you were aiming. You surely can't blame the bow for that miss.
The second shot sounds like you lead the buck too much since the shot was the correct height but you shot in front of the buck. It sounds like you're going through a learning curve. So far there's nothing wrong with the bow, you've just miscalculated a couple of times.

It seems that the shot at the first buck was perfect. The arrow went right where you were aiming. You surely can't blame the bow for that miss.
The second shot sounds like you lead the buck too much since the shot was the correct height but you shot in front of the buck. It sounds like you're going through a learning curve. So far there's nothing wrong with the bow, you've just miscalculated a couple of times.
Oh, yes, I surely don't blame the bow for those misses. It was 100% operator error on the second buck and just a miscalculation on the first one. That buck I shot under saw me as I reached full draw and I assumed he would drop to bound away since he was staring right at me at 15 yards. He didn't drop. I would rather clean miss them anytime that hit one poorly.

Back