• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking at 2 panel saddles, any suggestions?

Dibber33

Hunt northern Mn, so little worried about how much clothing I can wear with a saddle

How far north? I'm in MN, have a recon you can try if you'd like. Check out the saddle hunter map, you should be able to find me on there.

Live in Grand Rapids
If you want to make the drive, or get this way, you are more than welcome to try mine. I have a regular size with a 36" waist and have had no issues from October 15th to November 10ish.

Latitude Method

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely like this one, except one review said would be very difficult to gets hands into jacket pockets or a muff. And that part is extremely important for me , when hunting in low temps. Any input on that issue ? Thsnks

Definitely like this one, except one review said would be very difficult to gets hands into jacket pockets or a muff. And that part is extremely important for me , when hunting in low temps. Any input on that issue ? Thsnks

There is zero impact on me getting my hands in my pocket, with how I wear mine. I have found that with having a two panel saddle, it’s actually easier. You can adjust where each panel sits, so you have better access to pockets or a hand muff. I wear a Sitka Fanatic Lite or Fanatic jacket when it’s colder, and have no problems. The fanatic line has hand pockets similar to what a hoody sweatshirt has.

If you do go this route, I would suggest getting the Austrialpin buckle model. If you decide you don’t want the buckle, just remove it and replace it with oplux. That’s much easier than having the oplux waist belt and trying to find the webbing and buckle later.

Semper Fi,
Mike

There is zero impact on me getting my hands in my pocket, with how I wear mine. I have found that with having a two panel saddle, it’s actually easier. You can adjust where each panel sits, so you have better access to pockets or a hand muff. I wear a Sitka Fanatic Lite or Fanatic jacket when it’s colder, and have no problems. The fanatic line has hand pockets similar to what a hoody sweatshirt has.

If you do go this route, I would suggest getting the Austrialpin buckle model. If you decide you don’t want the buckle, just remove it and replace it with oplux. That’s much easier than having the oplux waist belt and trying to find the webbing and buckle later.

Semper Fi,
Mike

that buckle is money though. Provides a rated additional tie in point. I tie a figure eight into it with the back end of my tether.

Someone is selling a Large Recon in the classified for 100 if you want to try out and is over 42 in waist. I would try to grab the Predator Platform for a discount from same seller too!

Wife got my Recon in mail today! Hope she doesnt hold it hostage for Christmas gift!

Semper Fi,
Mike
Thanks , next question if applies to you . I’m at 38 waist most the time , but with thicker bibs on , wondering about one size fits all to 40 inch waist

Thanks , next question if applies to you . I’m at 38 waist most the time , but with thicker bibs on , wondering about one size fits all to 40 inch waist
I'm a tight 36 loose 38. The plates on the recons regular size just touch when the belt is cinched down. I think the large size will be too big for you. But I don't know how much bigger the large is then the regular.

I hunt here in Montana and bow season goes until January 15 so can definitely be exposed to a lot of cold weather hunting. Having said that, this is first year saddle hunting and not much cold weather yet. I bought a Recon which the one and only saddle I have owned. There were some days that started in low teens and got up to 20s. I was layered in heavy long johns and bibs on bottom, and on top was long sleeve shirt, medium weight fleece shirt, down vest, and medium fleece/windproof jacket on the top (plus the part of the bibs that is also on the top). It definitely took some extra time to work the top part of the saddle up over my jacket, but it worked. I also extended my bridge a few inches which provided more room to fit all that clothing within the saddle/bridge area, but at the same time extending the bridge really did not change my position leaning on the tree since the clothing was taking up that extra space. In essence, extending the bridge is a way to cheat and make the saddle seem bigger, even though saddle is the same size. I used a hand muff which was positioned at about belt level and below the bridge. Jacket pockets were barely accessible being just under the bridge, but the bridge would hold jacket closer to body so really was not comfortable, so definitely needed the hand muff. The bibs were a big game changer. I tried one morning with heavyweight fleece/goretex pants, and saddle kept riding up and would get in between the jackets and pants area. Bibs seemed to keep everything in place much better, so all future cold weather hunts will involve bibs. When forecast was 20s in morning and 30s to 40s during the day, I ditched the bibs and down vest, and less issues.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Hey Mike, I ordered the Austrialpin latitude but didn’t get it yet. Does the buckle version slide through a channel so you can pull it out and change it like the rope version?

I hunt here in Montana and bow season goes until January 15 so can definitely be exposed to a lot of cold weather hunting. Having said that, this is first year saddle hunting and not much cold weather yet. I bought a Recon which the one and only saddle I have owned. There were some days that started in low teens and got up to 20s. I was layered in heavy long johns and bibs on bottom, and on top was long sleeve shirt, medium weight fleece shirt, down vest, and medium fleece/windproof jacket on the top (plus the part of the bibs that is also on the top). It definitely took some extra time to work the top part of the saddle up over my jacket, but it worked. I also extended my bridge a few inches which provided more room to fit all that clothing within the saddle/bridge area, but at the same time extending the bridge really did not change my position leaning on the tree since the clothing was taking up that extra space. In essence, extending the bridge is a way to cheat and make the saddle seem bigger, even though saddle is the same size. I used a hand muff which was positioned at about belt level and below the bridge. Jacket pockets were barely accessible being just under the bridge, but the bridge would hold jacket closer to body so really was not comfortable, so definitely needed the hand muff. The bibs were a big game changer. I tried one morning with heavyweight fleece/goretex pants, and saddle kept riding up and would get in between the jackets and pants area. Bibs seemed to keep everything in place much better, so all future cold weather hunts will involve bibs. When forecast was 20s in morning and 30s to 40s during the day, I ditched the bibs and down vest, and less issues.
Thanks for all the info ! I hunt tell end December so definitely helpful info !

Hey Mike, I ordered the Austrialpin latitude but didn’t get it yet. Does the buckle version slide through a channel so you can pull it out and change it like the rope version?
And for anybody interested they are bringing out a bigger size, they suggested I hold off tell Available.

Back