• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for a warmer mid layer fleece. Suggestions?

gcr0003

SH Member
I am looking for a thicker weight fleece for my mid layer. I can get by most of the season in the south with just a merino wool base layer (mid/heavy) with a microfleece over that, puffer if needed, then outer layer. I am wanting a thick fleece to add to that warmth when it gets in the 20-30s here. I have a thick fleece I use for skiing by it is like an aqua marine blueish green, so I am looking for something in a grey, brown, tan, green, instead. Suggestions?

I am looking for a thicker weight fleece for my mid layer. I can get by most of the season in the south with just a merino wool base layer (mid/heavy) with a microfleece over that, puffer if needed, then outer layer. I am wanting a thick fleece to add to that warmth when it gets in the 20-30s here. I have a thick fleece I use for skiing by it is like an aqua marine blueish green, so I am looking for something in a grey, brown, tan, green, instead. Suggestions?
YouTube insists on brow beating me with Bearskin hoodies constantly. They look pretty sweet but they’re like $200+. That’s way too much for me for a hoodie. But ought to work well for ya if the marketing hype is at all accurate.

Last edited:
Natural Gear winterceptor fleece vest is what I use. If there is not much wind, I can get by with a heavy weight merino over a mid weight merino paired with the vest down to the upper 20's. If there is going to be much wind with those temps or if the temp is going to get lower then I want the winterceptor jacket over that.

Natural Gear winterceptor fleece vest is what I use. If there is not much wind, I can get by with a heavy weight merino over a mid weight merino paired with the vest down to the upper 20's. If there is going to be much wind with those temps or if the temp is going to get lower then I want the winterceptor jacket over that.
You rock two merino layers and a vest down to 20 degrees? :astonished:
My outer layer looks similar to that natural gear one, I am going to have to go up in size L to an XL when I get a thicker mid layer fleecer so I may consider that jacket. I suppose if the fleece is warm enough I could wear it as an outer layer but I was thinking of keeping my base layer + mid layer + puffer if needed + outer layer combo.

YouTube insists on brow beating me with Bearskin hoodies constantly. They look pretty sweet but they’re like $200+. That’s way too much for me for hoodie. But ought to work well for ya if the marketing hype is at all accurate.
It looks like it has some nice pockets and is made with pretty thick fleece. I am not sure if theyre a scam or what, their website looks sketchy. I found pictures of their stuff on another website trueswat and it had them listed as like $250 marked down to $99. I'd be willing to try one out for $100. Has anyone actually tried one of these out?

@Nutterbuster did you end up getting a drake fleece? Have you had it out on any south alabama cold mornings to see if it was any warm?

You rock two merino layers and a vest down to 20 degrees? :astonished:
My outer layer looks similar to that natural gear one, I am going to have to go up in size L to an XL when I get a thicker mid layer fleecer so I may consider that jacket. I suppose if the fleece is warm enough I could wear it as an outer layer but I was thinking of keeping my base layer + mid layer + puffer if needed + outer layer combo.
Upper 20's to start the day, sure. This past Saturday it was 29 when we left the truck, I wore what I posted above. Had my jacket too but didnt put it on. By 10am when we got down, I was pretty chilled but the wind had gotten up some. Wind didnt get up til around 9 so I decided to just tough out the last hour. I get cold easier than any of the guys I hunt with too. I won a gift card for first lite and got the 250 weight and 350 weight tops. Paired with that vest has been a great kit for our normal cold weather.

Been using the nat gear fleece for quite a few years now and it just flat works and is really warm for not also having insulation. Adding the jacket and fleece lined jeans under the fleece pants I have pretty comfortably hunted down into the mid teens. I only break out the pants for real cold weather though. This weekend I used my sitka mountain pants with a light merino base and a cheap pair of fleece lounge pants. I have never needed much lower body insulation but upper gets cold pretty easy.

Upper 20's to start the day, sure. This past Saturday it was 29 when we left the truck, I wore what I posted above. Had my jacket too but didnt put it on. By 10am when we got down, I was pretty chilled but the wind had gotten up some. Wind didnt get up til around 9 so I decided to just tough out the last hour. I get cold easier than any of the guys I hunt with too. I won a gift card for first lite and got the 250 weight and 350 weight tops. Paired with that vest has been a great kit for our normal cold weather.
Ahh i looked into that 250 and 350 and they are a lot thicker than just baselayers like I thought. They recommend that 350 as a midlayer or early season outerlayer. I am still surprised you can rock that in the twenties though with a vest. So yea I am looking to get a warmer or thicker midlayer which would be like what you are using your 350 for.

Someone recommended this in another thread so I can't take credit. Ended up buying my wife one because she was always stealing mine.
I like the looks of that jacket. Just have to stay away from the cockleburrs and beggar lice. :tearsofjoy:

Ahh i looked into that 250 and 350 and they are a lot thicker than just baselayers like I thought. They recommend that 350 as a midlayer or early season outerlayer. I am still surprised you can rock that in the twenties though with a vest. So yea I am looking to get a warmer or thicker midlayer which would be like what you are using your 350 for.
Early season I use sitka core lightweight tops when it is hot. As the temps start to go lower I can add a light merino base under the core light weight, then drop the core light weight and add the 250 or 350 and as the temps continue down pair the 250 and 350. At any point I can add the vest to keep my core warmer and wind protected. It has really proven to be a very effective and efficient layering system for me. I do want to add a light non-black merino top and I will be pretty much done with my system for the time being.

Early season I use sitka core lightweight tops when it is hot. As the temps start to go lower I can add a light merino base under the core light weight, then drop the core light weight and add the 250 or 350 and as the temps continue down pair the 250 and 350. At any point I can add the vest to keep my core warmer and wind protected. It has really proven to be a very effective and efficient layering system for me. I do want to add a light non-black merino top and I will be pretty much done with my system for the time being.
Are your 250 and 350 layers not camo?

Are your 250 and 350 layers not camo?
Yes they are. My only light merino is a black merino/poly blend. Leaning towards adding a light blend base top from blackovis in one of their colors other than black. Doesnt have to be camo patterned but needs to be camo lol.

Predator fleece is pretty nice but I'm not sure you could layer over it. I seen nomad had a
I have winter-ceptor jacket, I have it sized right, not up. I can fit a baselayer and a hoody pretty comfortably under it, do you think the vest would fit under the jacket? I really wanted the best first but Lady Horn got my the jacket.

I do think it's a really solid jacket. With the baseline and hood ( both cheapest heat holder base I think and a huntworth hoody) underneath I was comfortable in wind and snow with real feel @11° or so.

Predator fleece is pretty nice but I'm not sure you could layer over it. I seen nomad had a

I have winter-ceptor jacket, I have it sized right, not up. I can fit a baselayer and a hoody pretty comfortably under it, do you think the vest would fit under the jacket? I really wanted the best first but Lady Horn got my the jacket.

I do think it's a really solid jacket. With the baseline and hood ( both cheapest heat holder base I think and a huntworth hoody) underneath I was comfortable in wind and snow with real feel @11° or so.
In the past I have done base layer, hoody and vest under the jacket just fine. It needs to be cold though.

In the past I have done base layer, hoody and vest under the jacket just fine. It needs to be cold though.
I would agree. I was in full on frozen beard weather the other day and it was my gloves getting wet that got me. Thanks, pretty sure I'll have that vest real soon

I am thinking about one of these for a heavy midlayer / Sept/Oct outerlayer

I have a North Face fleece that is twice as thick as any other fleece I have. Very warm as a mid layer. Unfortunately I have no clue on model or anything of it. The drawback is if layered over merino wool, when you try to take it off, they stick together and then generate all kinds of static when peeled apart.

I am thinking about one of these for a heavy midlayer / Sept/Oct outerlayer

Yea I wanted to support them too despite their poor camp patterns. I couldn’t find anything with the words windproof on any of their clothing though. They also didnt have any of them in stock when I was looking. I bet I could get by with 3/4 of my season with a good mid layer.

Back