• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for info on pistol for whitetail hunting

Sgt. Beardface

SH Member
Really want to get into pistol hunting for whitetail this coming year (2021) but wanted to get opinions on what I should be looking at. I use the BX on base for firearms purchases as they normally have the best price, however, I am not married to that idea so I can buy anywhere. I have been looking at the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 with the 10.5 barrel which is $840 in SS at the BX. Any information that you all could help with would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

-Chuck

Really want to get into pistol hunting for whitetail this coming year (2021) but wanted to get opinions on what I should be looking at. I use the BX on base for firearms purchases as they normally have the best price, however, I am not married to that idea so I can buy anywhere. I have been looking at the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 with the 10.5 barrel which is $840 in SS at the BX. Any information that you all could help with would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

-Chuck
Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag would be a great choice.

Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag would be a great choice.

My father in law has one of these in single action I’ve been trying to talk him into selling me for years. Awesome weapon foe the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have used single action revolvers exclusively for 30 years during firearms season; started with a 7.5" Super Blackhawk, then went to a Freedom Arms 454 with a 4 3/4" barrel...took my biggest buck to date with that one. Realized late in the game that deer don't require all that horsepower and now use a custom 4 5/8" Bowen 44 Special Blackhawk; 255 gr hardcast at about 1000 fps. A pleasure to pack on the hip and much more comfortable to shoot...flinch-proof. That load will penetrate a ridiculous distance with nowhere near the blast or recoil of the magnums.

7.5" Super Red Hawk in .44 mag. I have a Leopold 2x20 on it. Barrel ported and some trigger work done. My favorite hunting weapon and great out of a saddle. Best kill was a big, old doe at 107 yards. Tipped right over. Thinking about upgrading the scope. My only issue is the fixed 2x20 does not gather light very well which makes it hard to see during the fading light of day.

I have taken a doe or 2 with a raging bull 44 mag. Have a small viper red dot. Good little brush gun 50 yards and in..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with 44 mag.... off the wall idea though..... 8.5 inch AR pistol in 300 blackout. I have both. (Well, my BO is a 10.5)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201119-212005_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201119-212005_Gallery.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 66
I've shot a doe with a 6" barreled 357 colt python. Went right down. Since then I picked up a 4" barreled taurus 44 special that shoots surprisingly accurate. But my dream hunting pistol is a 6" barreled 44 mag colt anaconda.

I've shot a doe with a 6" barreled 357 colt python. Went right down. Since then I picked up a 4" barreled taurus 44 special that shoots surprisingly accurate. But my dream hunting pistol is a 6" barreled 44 mag colt anaconda.
If you have $1500+ burning a hole in your pocket there are a few on gunbroker.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

It really depends on what you want. For me personally to be proficient with an iron sighted single action means I have to shoot all the time. I had a hundred yard range in the backyard and it was great but that backyard range is an hour and a half away. I can pick up a double action revolver with a red dot and feel good as long as I shoot it about once a month. A scoped single shot I’m good for 50 yards with a brace without any practice and I feel good to a hundred or farther with minimal practice. The T/C line can be as money demanding with aftermarket upgrades as saddle hunting. I like the cva pistols. I have one in .50 as a muzzleloader. I would love to find a 10” 300 blackout that they no longer make but may purchase a 14 6.5 real soon. There are also plenty of oddball single shots also. I have a competitor pistol corporation handgun that is an improved version of the lone eagle single shot. It’s still a rotary cannon breech but you can swap barrels.

I like the feel of the standard Blackhawk frame. It no longer feels good to me once I place an optic on it. Then I much prefer the bisley grip. When it comes to single actions my mouth waters for a freedom arms 6” 454.

Double action revolvers are great. It’s har to beat a 5”smith model 29/629 for a a iron sighted go anywhere do anything wheel gun. I’ve also had super redhawks in 454 and 480. They fall into beast sized hand cannons not quite as big as the 500 smith but still to big to wear on a belt. My next wheel gun will likely be a 357.

I had a glock 20 in 10mm I hunted with a good bit. The 10mm performed well on pigs and deer. I didn’t get reliable exit wounds but it always killed quickly resulting in minimal grid searching to find deer. The Glock 20 was an absolute blast to practice with. I’m torn between getting the g40 or a 357 as my beating around the woods guns.

I have killed deer with T/C Contender and Encore set up as handguns. Tons of options on barrels and calibers. And of course then you have the platform to do so much more. My Enocre is my turkey 12 gauge, my 50 cal muzzleloader and my 260 carbine.

Thats a good choice, but all depends in how you'll be using it. My brother and I both have Remington XP100Rs in .260 rem. And they are tac drivers. In my county we can't hunt with rifles so I use this instead. (the paper plate target was at 365 yards of the bench).
3915f213321b646d62f48ecbe901c0e8.jpg
7cde91f7ff72ec0332765a667b79d82b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love taking different handguns into the deer woods. I've taken deer with a 10mm g20, .357 mag Ruger gp100, .44 mag Ruger super redhawk, and ar15 pistol in 6.8spc.
The gp100 is a wonderful, affordable, effective revolver. The glock is great for quick follow up shots. The super redhawk is heavy but effective. The 6.8 is awesome in open areas, sucks in cover, but almost feels like cheating when shooting out to 200 yards. Bullet selection is critical and hand loading is best, if not almost a necessity when looking at current production cartridges for that gun.
Hunted with a contender in .35 Rem but got so rattled when the time came to shoot that I inadvertently flipped the safety to the rimfire side. Decided that I needed a more foolproof handgun after that.
They're all fun and each has its benefits and drawbacks.

No barrel interchangeability like a TC Contender, but that wasn't important to me. I just wanted something in a deer hunting caliber. Recoil isn't bad, but it is LOUD. I carry a pair of muffs when I hunt with it.

Has a great stock trigger. I haven't killed anything but pop cans at 100 yards thus far, but I intend to change that this year...

I wish I could hunt with a pistol in the area I go. It is a shotgun or muzzleloader area only.

No barrel interchangeability like a TC Contender, but that wasn't important to me. I just wanted something in a deer hunting caliber. Recoil isn't bad, but it is LOUD. I carry a pair of muffs when I hunt with it.

Has a great stock trigger. I haven't killed anything but pop cans at 100 yards thus far, but I intend to change that this year...

I actually wish I had put a scout scope (ironic, I know) on my CVA Scout. It is hard to shoot it like a conventional pistol due to its barrel weight. It is actually pretty easy to hold steady and shoot like you would a rifle with no stock. However, the pistol scope has almost too much eye relief to do this.

A normal rifle scope will likely have too little eye relief, and the pistol scope has almost too much... That's why I think a scout rifle scope would be just about right.

Back