• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for opinions on Alps Outdoorz Big Bear/Pathfinder Packs

CharlieTN

I’m considering changing packs to either the Alps Big Bear or the Pathfinder lumbar packs. Currently I use two different sizes of regular daypack styles, a smaller one for early season and a larger one for late season to carry the extra clothes and such.

I like the idea of these two packs because of the expandable daypack section for late season. I can put all of my gear in them and not have to transfer it, just expand the day pack section to add my cold weather gear.

Looking for anyone who uses these packs, how they work, how they carry, how they hold up and such.
I one stick climb so I’m not carrying much in them other than my hunting gear and one-stick setup.

If any of you have pics of carrying your gear with them, it would be greatly appreciated.

I’m considering these packs because they fit within my budget and they’re the only ones I can find with the expandable portion.

Thanks.

I have been using the big bear for a few years now. This is my first year using it for saddle hunting. It has held up well for me. I attach my one-stick to the molle loops. Plenty of room for the gear that will hang in the tree and the expandable pack holds my warm outer wear. Have always had good luck with alpz gear for day pack use.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have the Pathfinder. My gripes about it are it weighs almost 5lbs when empty. Also, it sticks pretty far out the back.

But, I use it for hauling meat and gear, which it does pretty well for the price. If I wasn't hauling meat with it, I would probably just use my turkey vest.

fcfcFQUOT1KKBnuoVvnqmg.jpeg

I found a good deal on a used Pathfinder which should be here Monday. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Yeah, like Laky mentioned above, I bought the Little Bear, the Big Bear and the Pathfinder all at once, then ended up sending the Big Bear and Pathfinder back because of how heavy they were. I use the Little Bear 1.5lbs and bought the Turkey pockets accessory kit which comes with a game bag that I put clothes in. I’m a one sticker and I actually carry my stick upside down, between the turkey pockets on the front. It works well for me.

I just bought the Big Bear and have now used it for 3 hunts. two with my JX3 and one with my Method saddle. It carries everything that I need, wears very well and I haven't even had to expand the day pack portion yet. I kept it on when climbing with the method saddle and I'm able to place it on my JX3 easily while walking in. I'm still working with exactly how i want to use it but don't have any regrets as to how it works. Good luck with the Pathfinder, I didn't buy it due to the weight of the empty pack and the fact that it and the Big Bear have the same carrying capacity.

Back