• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for some insight regarding arrow trajectory

AU67Skeeter

Ok here goes; I've been shooting a Mathews z7 extreme since 2012, with Carbon express maxima hunters 250's.
These arrows are 8.9gpi and fly @ 275-280fps per my chrony. Since these are not in production anymore and Im down to my last two. I started looking for some replacements. I found Easton Axis 5mm 340spine. @ 9.5gpi. These are flying @ 250-255fps and drop about 6-8" lower than the Maxima hunters at 25 yards. This seems a little much for such a minimal change in weight.

My calculated TAW:
Maxima Hunter= 367g @ 277fps
Easton axis= 387g @ 255fps

Would 20g of weight make that much difference in velocity/Trajectory?

Possible the 340 is two soft of a spine. You may be loosing some energy in the arrow.
Or arrow size/ noc is different and it's de-tuned. Paper check the new arrows for bad flight.
That's all I got.

Seems like it slowed down an awful lot for only 20gr . Most things say about 1 FPS for every 3 gr change in weight.

Victory RIP TKO are 8.7gpi @ 350 spine, if you're interested

I've shot both 125 grain and 150 grain field points on my arrows and didn't notice any difference at 20 yards if that helps at all.

As @DroptineKrazy said, I've shot 100 and 125 field points with my bow on the same arrows and impact was barely noticable at 20 yards so I don't believe it's the extra weight either. Have you actually weighed the two arrows to make sure there's not a hidden difference? Heavy inserts to go with the gpi difference or something?

Ok here goes; I've been shooting a Mathews z7 extreme since 2012, with Carbon express maxima hunters 250's.
These arrows are 8.9gpi and fly @ 275-280fps per my chrony. Since these are not in production anymore and Im down to my last two. I started looking for some replacements. I found Easton Axis 5mm 340spine. @ 9.5gpi. These are flying @ 250-255fps and drop about 6-8" lower than the Maxima hunters at 25 yards. This seems a little much for such a minimal change in weight.

My calculated TAW:
Maxima Hunter= 367g @ 277fps
Easton axis= 387g @ 255fps

Would 20g of weight make that much difference in velocity/Trajectory?
What’s your arrow length? Sorry if I missed it

20 grains would account for 6-7 FPS difference in speed. If you are dropping 22 FPS in speed, you should have around a 70-grain difference in weight between the 2 arrows.

Recheck your arrow weight and recheck your chrono.

To get technical (lol) there is a major difference between your two arrow setups, at literally every level. It's not the 20gr TAW that you're seeing.
- Arrow spine is almost off by a "rated" two spine difference, and I personally found the Eastons to be stiffer than listed.
- FOC/balance is going to be different.
- Arrow construction is physically completely different, and even further so if you believe the dual-spine advertisement of Carbon Express on the Maxima series.

The Carbon Express Maxima RED was designed to be a direct replacement for the Maxima Hunter series, but I personally currently prefer the Easton shafts. I shot the CE Hunter/RED arrows from about 2007-2018...

Isn't carbon express the oddball spine rated company? Not doubting your knowledge @bowhunthard88 just checking

Thanks for all the replies!
Arrow length is 27" ( going from memory but I think that's right) and 70# draw wt.
Seems like it slowed down an awful lot for only 20gr . Most things say about 1 FPS for every 3 gr change in weight.

Victory RIP TKO are 8.7gpi @ 350 spine, if you're interested
This was my thoughts as well, I just wanted some second opinions. I will check out the Victory's thanks!

Possible the 340 is two soft of a spine. You may be loosing some energy in the arrow.
Or arrow size/ noc is different and it's de-tuned. Paper check the new arrows for bad flight.
That's all I got.
@matttMan81 My bow was originally paper tuned for the maxima hunters and that may be where the difference is. Haven't had my bow paper tuned in a while, its always been spot on with the Maxima's so I never worried about it. I don't have a bow press, nor have I personally ever done my own tuning. Maybe the spine is too soft.

I was calculating the arrow weight based on factory installed inserts, fletching and knocks, per some specs I found online. I need to get some kind of scale to measure the actual weight to compare. I believe the chrono is correct, speed has been consistent over time.

Our season opens this weekend. I will shoot the Maxima's until they're gone and maybe tryout the axis on some hogs if the opportunity arises. I probably need to get my bow to a shop for paper tuning with the axis/ or some other arrow, and see if that helps

To get technical (lol) there is a major difference between your two arrow setups, at literally every level. It's not the 20gr TAW that you're seeing.
- Arrow spine is almost off by a "rated" two spine difference, and I personally found the Eastons to be stiffer than listed.
- FOC/balance is going to be different.
- Arrow construction is physically completely different, and even further so if you believe the dual-spine advertisement of Carbon Express on the Maxima series.

The Carbon Express Maxima RED was designed to be a direct replacement for the Maxima Hunter series, but I personally currently prefer the Easton shafts. I shot the CE Hunter/RED arrows from about 2007-2018...
yeah I almost went with the reds, as a replacement. and the spine numbers are confusing, found the axis local and thought id try them. just went off the chart for the spine. Should I be looking for a higher number easton spine?

yeah I almost went with the reds, as a replacement. and the spine numbers are confusing, found the axis local and thought id try them. just went off the chart for the spine. Should I be looking for a higher number easton spine?
A comparable Easton spine would be 500, but your bow specs would be better suited to a 400 or 340 in my opinion (at your weight/DL). The two arrows are on opposing ends of the spine spectrum and they're not going to tune the same and that's probably the difference(s) you're seeing.

As for CE, I would've initially recommended the 350 spine...

The tune may just be adjusting your rest height. The arrow may be sitting slightly higher or lower. If you want to start messing with it. Just shooting the arrow thru paper should tell you something I would think. Or video the shot. It may explain the change in POI.

The tune may just be adjusting your rest height. The arrow may be sitting slightly higher or lower. If you want to start messing with it. Just shooting the arrow thru paper should tell you something I would think. Or video the shot. It may explain the change in POI.
Good point here, I hadn't thought of; smaller diameter shaft is going to have a lower POA vs the original maxima, if even by a small margin I guess I'm starting out aiming low with the thinner shaft Axis. Definitely gonna have to get it tuned for new arrows.

Good point here, I hadn't thought of; smaller diameter shaft is going to have a lower POA vs the original maxima, if even by a small margin I guess I'm starting out aiming low with the thinner shaft Axis. Definitely gonna have to get it tuned for new arrows.
Correct .244 vs. .204.

Back