• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for some insight

MOhunter

I have owned a Trophyline Ambush saddle for about 10 years. Upon purchasing it, i only hunted out of it for one season. I could never quite figure out how to get comfortable in it up until last season. I have come to realize that my mobility and all around hunting effectiveness requires a saddle. My hunting situation mainly consists of run and gun techniques. I typically carry 12 or so Cranford brand screw in steps with me. I like to carry the screw in steps in a pouch fastened to the side of the saddle. the suspender system on the old ambush saddle was elastic, causing the saddle to slide below your waist with any weight attached to it. I prefer to have the steps on the side of the saddle for ease of access when climbing. I cut the original elastic straps off the saddle and have been experimenting with fastening different suspender systems to it. I have not yet found a system that i am happy with. Nothing really seams to carry good and is uncomfortable. Please note that my saddle is one size too big, so this could have something to do with it as well. I have been researching the New Tribe Kestrel Saddle. I noticed that this saddle does not have a suspender system. Has any one had any experience in attaching bags to the side of this saddle? if so, does the waist strap support the weight well? My typical hikes to my stand locations are usually around 1 mile but can sometimes stretch to the 3 mile mark, so comfort while walking is a big factor. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

I found that if I put too much on my saddle for accessories it wanted to ride down. I know some guys are running suspenders & can weigh in. I just lighten up the load & put it elsewhere.

Holdup Suspender Company's Outdoorsman Series Advantage Pattern Camouflage Hunting Suspenders with black Patented Gripper Clasps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K591ZLO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OfsvBb12QNB25

A lot of guys swear by these. I ordered some off of recommendations from another suspender discussion earlier last year. They are very strong. Worth the money to me.

They work good on TL saddles & Sit Drags. It will end up on my Mantis.

Make sure to get the plastic clamping model. They are quieter if something hits the hook up clamp.

Not sure if the link posted so here are some Amazon screenshots of the item

0ee54618c2402bcb65b8f78a19e80fcb.png
5294c1c716d35bce71f361e93ace4808.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
These look a lot better than what I have been experimenting with. I am wondering if they will easily attach to the mollie section on the ambush saddle.

These look a lot better than what I have been experimenting with. I am wondering if they will easily attach to the mollie section on the ambush saddle.

I tried on the top edge of Ambush & also on molle. Worked great. It clamps down a lot stronger than I expected. Very good quality.

They sent metal ones first & those jingled some. Sent those back quickly for the plastic ones.

Holdup Suspender Company's Outdoorsman Series Advantage Pattern Camouflage Hunting Suspenders with black Patented Gripper Clasps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K591ZLO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OfsvBb12QNB25

A lot of guys swear by these. I ordered some off of recommendations from another suspender discussion earlier last year. They are very strong. Worth the money to me.

They work good on TL saddles & Sit Drags. It will end up on my Mantis.

Make sure to get the plastic clamping model. They are quieter if something hits the hook up clamp.

Not sure if the link posted so here are some Amazon screenshots of the item

0ee54618c2402bcb65b8f78a19e80fcb.png
5294c1c716d35bce71f361e93ace4808.png

I have these and love them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just put all my crap in my backpack, I don't like having stuff hanging off my saddle when I'm in the tree. I'm definitely not the norm here, I think most folks have some pouches on their saddles, maybe I'll get there someday, just seems like a huge pain for just a little benefit to me, maybe I'll get there someday, but wearing suspenders ain't it for me at least right now, lol!! I always worried about stuff hanging off my saddle causing excessive movement and getting busted.

I just put all my crap in my backpack, I don't like having stuff hanging off my saddle when I'm in the tree. I'm definitely not the norm here, I think most folks have some pouches on their saddles, maybe I'll get there someday, just seems like a huge pain for just a little benefit to me, maybe I'll get there someday, but wearing suspenders ain't it for me at least right now, lol!! I always worried about stuff hanging off my saddle causing excessive movement and getting busted.

I’m the same way. Smaller profile in the tree.

Same. I wear my Kestrel in usually, but carry everything else in my pack. I even took my doyles off. I rock two small gear loops that I hang my tether and ring of stepps from when I'm climbing.

If you require something a little more heavy duty without elastic - look up a carpenters tool belt suspension rig. They are durable support heavier loads and do not stretch. Military MOLLE harnesses work well too and are reasonable at most surplus stores.

Back