• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Low Tech Traditional Climbing Methods

Adamcincy

Oct 26, 2017
My wife came back from the Dominican Republic and said she saw a gardener on the island climb and trim a palm tree with two ropes. One on his foot and one behind his knee. She said he was really fast going up and down. I did some research online and found some interesting videos.
www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=p5S9mfIFsGQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=peJBoWlw6xk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LadmshuCN9U
www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=27&v=sgUUEujYOe8

I liked how quickly they were able to advance their tie in points. Advancing my tether up a tree with rough bark is pretty slow for me.

I wonder if there would be a way to do this safely or adapt some aspect of it to the climbing we do in saddle hunting. I wonder what type of rope would be best and how long. The rope in the videos looks pretty stiff but grabs on really well. Got me thinking outside of my box so thought I'd put it out to the forum.

Last edited:

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
This has popped up once in a while. I think having a stiff rope is very important so that it can move easily. I bought an actually wire core lineman's belt for tree work once and it is very stiff. I bet that if you could make this method work you could also tie a prussik or some sort of friction knot in to the thigh tether which would attach to your saddle for extra safety.

Reactions: mav70 and Wirrex

MCDM

Vendor Rep
Apr 18, 2014
Connecticut
I wonder what that setup looks like up close. It doesn’t appear to be all rope because it looks as if they have some sort of handhold on it!! Very cool and looks super fast.

IkemanTX

Oct 16, 2015
I seriously doubt that would work on the rough bark trees I climb... sometimes it can be dang near impossible to move a linesman belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
I have seen people climb like that in Indonesia too. I have often wondered about it. They had bare feet while they did it. Too cold for here.

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
I seriously doubt that would work on the rough bark trees I climb... sometimes it can be dang near impossible to move a linesman belt.

I have trouble with my XOP on rough bark trees as well, not sure about tree climbers since I don't own one, anyone have experience with a climber on rough bark trees?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
This has popped up once in a while. I think having a stiff rope is very important so that it can move easily. I bought an actually wire core lineman's belt for tree work once and it is very stiff. I bet that if you could make this method work you could also tie a prussik or some sort of friction knot in to the thigh tether which would attach to your saddle for extra safety.
Where did you get the rope? What do they call it?

I think I would also like to have my harness connected some how to the knee tether bit I think that would really slow it down, need to play around with this..... it's raining today

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Wow that is some serious rope/wire/metal, I didn't think it was that heavy duty, and all that metal would probably kinda noisy, right? Where did I see a post on a different linemans belt that actually closed and held onto the tree?
Yea I got that when I was first interested in using spurs. I didn't realize how impractical it was until I got it.

You're probably thinking of the buckingham tree squeeze.
https://buckinghammfg.com/products/arborist/treesqueeze-7l08t18j/

Reactions: Plinker22

Adamcincy

Oct 26, 2017
redsquirrel said:
Yea I got that when I was first interested in using spurs. I didn't realize how impractical it was until I got it.

You're probably thinking of the buckingham tree squeeze.
https://buckinghammfg.com/products/arborist/treesqueeze-7l08t18j/
That is pretty cool. I am playing with a version of the monkey tail system right now that I’m hoping will let me easily advance up or down a tree and go around limbs as needed. www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1527.
CD5512DF-6359-4EEA-850E-AE0A6C1C8915.jpeg
So far it works great at easily advancing my tether/climbing rope up the tree, cinches tight when weight is on it, and comes down easily when weight is off it.

I bought 9 mm Sterling HTP for my SRT/ rappel/ climbing line. It is pretty stiff but still ties well. Seems to flip up the tree easily especially if I double it over. I ordered 8mm split tail (www.sherrilltree.com/sherrilltree-black-bee-line-8mm-split-tail-5ft) that gets tied on with a Blake’s hitch and I am running a quick link or singing tree quickie through the eye to eye instead of a ring. Looks something like this when it is on the tree. Lightweight and simple.
I will work with it and post pictures if I end up liking it. I’m in the development/trying it stage now.

Attachments

• 230639BD-6492-49D5-A13E-24070680F9EE.jpeg
    230639BD-6492-49D5-A13E-24070680F9EE.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Reactions: donnieballgame

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
That is pretty cool. I am playing with a version of the monkey tail system right now that I’m hoping will let me easily advance up or down a tree and go around limbs as needed. www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1527.
View attachment 3810
So far it works great at easily advancing my tether/climbing rope up the tree, cinches tight when weight is on it, and comes down easily when weight is off it.

I bought 9 mm Sterling HTP for my SRT/ rappel/ climbing line. It is pretty stiff but still ties well. Seems to flip up the tree easily especially if I double it over. I ordered 8mm split tail (www.sherrilltree.com/sherrilltree-black-bee-line-8mm-split-tail-5ft) that gets tied on with a Blake’s hitch and I am running a D link or singing tree quickie through the eye to eye instead of a ring. Looks something like this when it is on the tree. Lightweight and simple.
I will work with it and post pictures if I end up liking it. I’m in the development/trying it stage now.

I like it. Keep us updated!

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
View attachment 3810

I bought 9 mm Sterling HTP for my SRT/ rappel/ climbing line. It is pretty stiff but still ties well. Seems to flip up the tree easily especially if I double it over. I ordered 8mm split tail (www.sherrilltree.com/sherrilltree-black-bee-line-8mm-split-tail-5ft) that gets tied on with a Blake’s hitch and I am running a D link or singing tree quickie through the eye to eye instead of a ring. Looks something like this when it is on the tree. Lightweight and simple.

I'm with @redsquirrel, I love the idea, but all of that metal makes me nervous, the stuff you just posted looks a little simpler, and only one metal ring. Hopefully that will mean it's easier to keep quiet. I was also hoping to do it without buying a bunch of crap, lol.

Adamcincy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm with @redsquirrel, I love the idea, but all of that metal makes me nervous, the stuff you just posted looks a little simpler, and only one metal ring. Hopefully that will mean it's easier to keep quiet. I was also hoping to do it without buying a bunch of crap, lol.
There isn’t more metal than in the picture. Just one quick link or a singing tree quickie (I prefer the quickie but they are expensive) replaces the ring in the system so it can be advanced around obstacles/limbs (the ring is a fixed system). The monkey tail cinching system was developed for an arborist moving down a limbless trunk when they are taking the tree trunk down in pieces. Arborists don’t need to disconnect the ring and move the system around limbs because they chainsawed all the limbs off on the way up the tree.

Last edited:

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
There isn’t more metal than in the picture. Just one D link or a singing tree quickie (I prefer the quickie but they are expensive) replaces the ring in the system so it can be advanced around obstacles/limbs (the ring is a fixed system). The monkey tail cinching system was developed for an arborist moving down a limbless trunk when they are taking the tree trunk down in pieces. Arborists don’t need to disconnect the ring and move the system around limbs because they chainsawed all the limbs off on the way up the tree.

Thanks for the info, I had to look up a quickie, lol, sounds funny. Are they noisy? Seems like the pin would rattle around a bit.

For the folks like me that have no idea what a quickie is
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15672

Adamcincy

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the info, I had to look up a quickie, lol, sounds funny. Are they noisy? Seems like the pin would rattle around a bit.

For the folks like me that have no idea what a quickie is
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15672
Yes, funny name. I bought a couple of the quickies when I was doing tree work. They have a quick pin that slides in and out so you can open and close them quickly to move in and out of a rope (like a Quick link would www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=181&item=933) and they don’t have cross loading issues that you can have with carabiners.
They make very little noise but more than a Quick link does but they are faster than a Quick link. I put a couple pieces of electric tape where metal meets metal and that helps.

Reactions: donnieballgame

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
If you can make it quiet it might be a viable option, although the price seems kinda crazy. I think I would just deal with bring a little slower and go with the screw link.

MJH

SH Member
Nov 28, 2017
Ontario Canada
I have trouble with my XOP on rough bark trees as well, not sure about tree climbers since I don't own one, anyone have experience with a climber on rough bark trees?

Climbers are fine on rough bark. The foot unit can get hung up a bit on the decent. Shifting your feet left then right solves that issue. Sometimes they don't sit perfect (top or bottom), but once you put some weight on it it usually works out.