• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lwhc and Ropes!! Tether, rappel, or both?

muzzypower

With my lwhc, I’m finding that i like climbing better with my tether which has a cosmo hitch. I tell myself that i will switch to rappel rope and safeguard when its time to come down, but i seem to stick with the tether. I dont mind climbing w the rappel rope but the delta adds weight (slips more)) and tge safeguard is slower to work on the rope. I feel silly not rappeling but, in the dark particularly, i dont follow thru on the switch. Any ideas or suggestions for me??

Any ideas or suggestions for me??
Ditch the heavy & noisy link and just tie a running JRB hitch. Easy to learn, easy to advance with, easy to dispel from base of tree.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Option 6

Specific video on how to tie it

Nice to see good news soreading organically. Curious to get an opinion from an unbiased practitioner... What are your opinions on the JRB Hitch vs the Running JRB Hitch?

Am I understanding that you like the Running variant cuz its easier to move it up and down the trunk? It also uses less cord. Me? When i have occasion to tie one or the other just for a rappel, i have been using the JRB. When I use a pole to advance it, i use the Running variant.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nice to see good news soreading organically. Curious to get an opinion from an unbiased practitioner... What are your opinions on the JRB Hitch vs the Running JRB Hitch?

Am I understanding that you like the Running variant cuz its easier to move it up and down the trunk? It also uses less cord. Me? When i have occasion to tie one or the other just for a rappel, i have been using the JRB. When I use a pole to advance it, i use the Running variant.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I have never tied the regular JRB Hitch, though I've watched the video series on it a bunch.

I chose the running variant because it seemed so easy to tie, and it moves up and down well when climbing (I currently 1-stick). I shared it because it seemed applicable to this situation (LWHC).

With my lwhc, I’m finding that i like climbing better with my tether which has a cosmo hitch. I tell myself that i will switch to rappel rope and safeguard when its time to come down, but i seem to stick with the tether. I dont mind climbing w the rappel rope but the delta adds weight (slips more)) and tge safeguard is slower to work on the rope. I feel silly not rappeling but, in the dark particularly, i dont follow thru on the switch. Any ideas or suggestions for me??

I love to rappel, but most of the time last year when climbing with the LWHC, I just used my tether and climbed back down. It’s just about as fast since you basically just lower your bow and start descending. Nothing else to set up or take down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love to rappel, but most of the time last year when climbing with the LWHC, I just used my tether and climbed back down. It’s just about as fast since you basically just lower your bow and start descending. Nothing else to set up or take down.

I am thinking if im going to rappel then i should just use that rope from the start.

I am thinking if im going to rappel then i should just use that rope from the start.

Sure, but you will have to manage that extra rope in a side pouch while hunting so that it doesn’t swing around as you move and possibly alert deer. I’ve done it both ways and like everything, there are pros and cons.

Sure, but you will have to manage that extra rope in a side pouch while hunting so that it doesn’t swing around as you move and possibly alert deer. I’ve done it both ways and like everything, there are pros and cons.

I either wrap n hang it from my gear strap or pile it on my lwhc between the tree n stirrups. Works well

I have a delta link for my rappel setup but i never use it. I can thread 30 or 40ft of rope through the loop (figure 8 on a bight just like a regular tether loop) almost just as quick as opening and closing that link and it doesnt fall down when i take off pressure. That delta link always freaked me out. If i take my body weight off the rope it can loosen on the tree real quick. Ive tried little stopper balls and everything but it just didnt save that much time for the headache it caused me. It might take an extra 10 seconds and it grips so much better.

I have a delta link for my rappel setup but i never use it. I can thread 30 or 40ft of rope through the loop (figure 8 on a bight just like a regular tether loop) almost just as quick as opening and closing that link and it doesnt fall down when i take off pressure. That delta link always freaked me out. If i take my body weight off the rope it can loosen on the tree real quick. Ive tried little stopper balls and everything but it just didnt save that much time for the headache it caused me. It might take an extra 10 seconds and it grips so much better.
See post #2 above. Makes pulling rope down a breeze.

Well…in typical saddlehunter fashion, i just ordered new resc tech to presumably replace my 9.5mm atwood htp. I love the htp but thinking the resc tech will compress and carry better.

See post #2 above. Makes pulling rope down a breeze.

i dont want to tie a knot every time and worry i did it wrong. exploding knots holding me up 20ft above the ground isnt really my thing either, im sure its safe but i'll find a way to screw it up. Its never been an issue pulling down my rope.

Well just received my new resc tech rappel rope. Im gonna try it without the delta. Fits nicely in my tethrd pouch w room to spare. 30’ weighs 1lb exactly.

i dont want to tie a knot every time and worry i did it wrong. exploding knots holding me up 20ft above the ground isnt really my thing either, im sure its safe but i'll find a way to screw it up. Its never been an issue pulling down my rope.
Yup, great points. No point solving a problem that doesn't exist for ya. For me, all my practice sessions using a delta link were exercises in frustration getting the rope down, which I wanted no part of in the dark after a hunt. Efficiency was a primary goal of mine choosing this system.
YMMV

It is essential to tie hitches and knots correctly of course. For me, after a reasonable amount of practice I find it closer to the shoe tying side of the spectrum than the "Wait...pause that video...where does this part of the rope go?"
Again YMMV

Lastly, when locked properly which should be during the entire climb up and hunt, it cannot release ("explode"). However it must be unlocked for the descent so it can be remotely released. This still sketches me out a bit, but the hitch seems difficult to release when under your body weight. I worry a bit about my pull down cord catching on my body and creating a dangerous situation. I'd love to see a test that shows a full body weight on the hitch with a simultaneous and separate full body weight on the pull down line to see if the hitch will hold or release.

Not trying to promote or encourage this practice. Just sharing thoughts in hopes of improving my own understanding and practice.

Yup, great points. No point solving a problem that doesn't exist for ya. For me, all my practice sessions using a delta link were exercises in frustration getting the rope down, which I wanted no part of in the dark after a hunt. Efficiency was a primary goal of mine choosing this system.
YMMV

It is essential to tie hitches and knots correctly of course. For me, after a reasonable amount of practice I find it closer to the shoe tying side of the spectrum than the "Wait...pause that video...where does this part of the rope go?"
Again YMMV

Lastly, when locked properly which should be during the entire climb up and hunt, it cannot release ("explode"). However it must be unlocked for the descent so it can be remotely released. This still sketches me out a bit, but the hitch seems difficult to release when under your body weight. I worry a bit about my pull down cord catching on my body and creating a dangerous situation. I'd love to see a test that shows a full body weight on the hitch with a simultaneous and separate full body weight on the pull down line to see if the hitch will hold or release.

Not trying to promote or encourage this practice. Just sharing thoughts in hopes of improving my own understanding and practice.

This is my main (admittedly uneducated) concern as well. (Bolding I added) If my pull rope gets caught using a quick link, nothing happens, because the weight on the rope keeps the rope from being pulled by the pull line.

Let's think worst case scenario here- hit by falling branch or something, knocked unconscious, tangle in rope and pull down line during fall. Lots of things have to all line up correctly for that to go wrong, but I suppose it's possible. I'd be open to being proven wrong, but I'm sticking to quick links for now.

Back