• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Madrock Safeguard Alternative

Bobadefett

Seems everywhere I look the Madrock Safeguard is out of stock, is there an alternative that works just as well?

The Trango Vergo and the Grigri + are both supposed to function the same as the Safeguard. Make sure the Grigri is the + model.

Another vote for the Grigri+. One other benefit of the grigri+ is the anti-panic feature. It just might save your butt if you pull to hard on the handle. The grigri+ is smoother than the Madrock too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple descenders and have used them but I am set on the figure 8 and pursik.
Its quicker and easier than double wrapping the end and stops on a dime if you let go for any reason like, poked in the eye or removing your stik.

Be careful buying descenders, they don't all function the same in a panic.

I got rid of my linemans rope and tether and use both ends of my rappel line instead.

I have a couple descenders and have used them but I am set on the figure 8 and pursik.
Its quicker and easier than double wrapping the end and stops on a dime if you let go for any reason like, poked in the eye or removing your stik.

I got rid of my linemans rope and tether and use both ends of my rappel line instead.

I honestly would rather use a figure 8. I don't use a prusik though. I just use a double soft lock to be hands free and a single soft lock when on rappel. @phatkaw showed me this when he was telling me how easy rappelling was and now I'm sold on it

I found his video. His way works for sure.
I just prefer the friction hitch above my 8. It works for my climb, hang and descent. I only carry one rope.

I was "short cut" hitching the figure 8 like rock climbers do with carabiners but now I just wrap it normal.

Another vote for the figure 8 plate and friction hitch. I use it on my dual-purposed tether and rappel line.

FWIW, I find the figure 8 and friction hitch method is easier and faster if you have a separate, dedicated rappel line. I am tethered and rappel on the same rope, but since there is a brief few minutes where to rig up the rappel setup I must remove my lifeline tether setup, I always put on a secondary tether (I keep it in my backpack until that point). In my mind, speed and efficiency of setup is the primary advantage to using a mechanical descender. (I have never used one, but I can how they're faster than what I do.) But other methods require far less money, and this setup/transition time is minimal.

so you are just using your rappel line? No separate tether? I like the idea since that's just less weight you'd have to hike in, but how do you feel it affects safety vs having a separate tether?

It's not a bad idea to have a back up way to get down the tree...IE an ATC or figure 8 setup. This is a pretty good deal for an ATC (rated for 7.3mm-11mm rope) and HMS carabiner IMO:

Prusik, that looks right, Heddon was a guess but one section of cord wasn’t fitting, thanks. The mod D carabiner compresses the Munter, a rounded top would make it run easier.
Are you seizing/whipping the second leg of the friction hitch and the tender together to allow for only one eye on the carabiner, like it, if so. If not what’s going on I’ve applied for a pat. pending on the idea just now!

If your purpose for the Safeguard is simply for rappelling down after the hunt then there are lots of alternatives, including a Munter hitch with just a carabiner. If you, like me, want it for your attachment to the rappel/tether for the entire cllimb and to have the ability to rappel at any point if there was an emergency, then the safeguard is hard to beat. There are some alternatives that will give you the same function as the safeguard such as the Trango Vergo or the Grigri +.

A lot of it depends on why you want a Safeguard.

Prusik, that looks right, Heddon was a guess but one section of cord wasn’t fitting, thanks. The mod D carabiner compresses the Munter, a rounded top would make it run easier.
Are you seizing/whipping the second leg of the friction hitch and the tender together to allow for only one eye on the carabiner, like it, if so. If not what’s going on I’ve applied for a pat. pending on the idea just now!
I'm not quite sure I follow....I vet wrap the tender to the prusik. I can show u a more detailed pic if u want. When descending I leave the tender just hanging out not inside the carabineer.....honestly I need to take the tender off cause I don't really use it on a tether but it is my hand hold if I need to grab the rope and that vet wrapped section allows me to verify I'm not grabbing the wraps of the friction hitch to release it on accident with out looking

so you are just using your rappel line? No separate tether? I like the idea since that's just less weight you'd have to hike in, but how do you feel it affects safety vs having a separate tether?
I use both ends of my line.
I'm always secured to the tree.
In climb and hang mode I only have the working ends out of my pouch.
I let all the rope out and down after I rig the 8 for descent.

The fact is I only use my second line to hang while bypassing a branch.

I figured out that I don't need to un clip to engage my figure 8.
I feed my line thru the big eye about 6 feet of line and step thru.
Then I bring the slack up over my shoulder and snug it onto the 8.
It takes a fouth of the time that engaging my second tether does.
All the while I am fully hanging on my hitch as if I was hunting.
Don't go thinking I'm about to hang myself by the neck.
Its fast and ridiculously easy.

It might sound confusing but just know that my figure 8 is attached to my line with my hitch cord tied to the 8.
It never comes off the line.

Back