• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Madrock Safeguard

For 1-stick CLIMBING (not rappelling)? A prussik or other friction knot (like kleimheist, distel, etc) or a mechanical ascender like a ropeman or kong duck (though there are questions about safety of these).

If you’re looking for a good, safe, cheap alternative then I’d try a prussik with a tender.

For 1-stick CLIMBING (not rappelling)? A prussik or other friction knot (like kleimheist, distel, etc) or a mechanical ascender like a ropeman or kong duck (though there are questions about safety of these).

If you’re looking for a good, safe, cheap alternative then I’d try a prussik with a tender.
I should have phrased it better.. For rappelling down

Ah, gotcha. Lot of rappelling threads on the site, you should definitely read through them for pros and cons. ATC and figure-8 device are options.

You can get an ATC with an autoblock and its very affordable. Just search for ATC & autoblock and you will find everything you need to know. Also search Jcline. He's got a very simple video with all the basics that are fully climb rated and safe.

The safegaurd is very nice to have. Check out DIY sportsman's 1 stick video and look at G2outdoors page with Carl explaining his method.

1. JCLINE
2. DIY sportsman
3. G2 Outdoors

I hope this helps!

Google ATC accidents and Safeguard, much easier to find entries for ATC's...

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The safeguard is sold out everywhere. I've seen JCline's video's. So for one sticking I could just climb with a prussic and tender. Once ready to come down hook up an autoblock and ATC and rappel down correct?

Thanks guys. The safeguard is sold out everywhere. I've seen JCline's video's. So for one sticking I could just climb with a prussic and tender. Once ready to come down hook up an autoblock and ATC and rappel down correct?

Bingo!! That’s what I plan to do every time I 1 stick or use WE steps. Only use safegaurd for SRT. I prefer distel hitch though. Prussic has tendency to bind up a little more.

I vastly prefer the GriGri+ over the Madrock for rappelling. More expensive but much smoother brake.

Back