• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Magnet vs GPS

Bowtie747

SH Member
Hey guys, I don’t know much on this subject. So I’m looking for someone to enlighten me. I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube where people say magnets mess with gps or something in apps phone use to locate us. Like onx and similar apps. I usually avoid magnets like the plague because of this. Marsupial even modified their best selling bino harness to no magnets because people worry about this.

One, what even causes this? Is their a way around this

I ask because I like the Sitka turkey vest but it’s covered in magnets. I cannot have my gps messed up in the backcountry because a stupid magnet.

Someone help me out, thanks!

Magnetism affects all electronics in a crazy way, but your common compass uses the earths magnetic poles to determine heading. So introducing a magnet in close proximity will mess with it, even certain metals that are high in magnetism will affect it. As far as magnetic on a vest unless the compass or GPS was physically resting on it I wouldn’t worry. Just hold gps device put away from your body and you should be good.

I have definitely experienced this when I had my Marsupial bino harness. Any phone app I tried to navigate with basically had me going 180 degrees the wrong direction. I was parked in a field and set it to navigate me to a spot I had marked deep in the woods. I knew something was up when it was telling me to walk out across the field.

The Marsupial Case is great as long as you keep your phone/compasses away from the magnets. But the case has a small pocket in the rear that fits a cellphone really well. I find it's a great place to keep my cellphone while in the saddle/treestand. Unfortunately it puts the phone right against the magnets in the case. If you pull the phone out and open any kind of maps app the compass is usually wrong. The way I've found fix this is to recalibrate the compass before using it. The way I recalibrate the compass is to place the phone in the palm of my hand away from your body screen side facing up and slowly spin the phone 2 times around. This usually resets the compass and then you're fine.

Back