• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Making the change.

treefox 1

SH Member
So, what made you switch over to saddle hunting ? I hunted this buck all season long tracked him close to his bedding area I was in a hang on in a double tree and he comes out at last light stands there at 12 yards looking the other way and I can't shoot because the other tree trunk is in the way, with a saddle it would have been an easy shot.lets hear some stories!

Im new to saddle hunting. I cant say that I made a switch, as I still plan to use the hang on and climber. Just trying to add to the toolbox! I hunt strictly public land and I see this as a great tool for those areas I have to canoe to get to, then walk a mile.

I had two two reasons for adding a saddle to my hunting options. On my lease in my the Mississippi Delta we have large sections of WRP. These areas have smaller young trees and lots of limbs. They make for use of a climbing stand or setting a lock on loud, time consuming and obtrusive. The saddle allows me to hunt these smaller trees easily. The second reason is that wind direction is always changing and the saddle allows me to hunt areas on multiple wind direction as long as access is possible on that wind.

Hunting public land here in MA. is crowded. I've had guys who have been hunting on the same piece of property tell me, that they don't hunt out of my stands, but if they see one of my stands they will hunt that area because they know I'm successful and I do my homework. So even if I wanted to let a stand cool off, other guys are hunting them. Saddle hunting allows me to take every thing in and out with me, and it's not a clunky climber. It really just opens up many more options to get to good hunting spots. Then there's the whole list of advantages in the tree. Just an all around better way to hunt. Plus I save money on locks and cables, so I can buy more Hang Time,and Saddlehunter t-shirts.

I too am new to the saddle. I've only had a couple of hunts before the season ended. I was waiting on my Mantis and Predator like several of you. I've been hunting out of my hangons and climbers for decades. I absolutely love my LW Hand Climber but as you know it still limits your tree selection and I wanted to go lighter. The saddle fit the bill for me and absolutely love it!

I'm a fool: I got into it believing one saddle was cheaper than replacing a bunch of old hang-on stands. So far, I could have saved money buying the hang-ons. lol

Going on two decades I've been a mobile hunter since age 12 and grew tired of carrying around my climber. Being limited by tree selection and the bulk carrying it through brush. Two seasons ago I learned the hang-and-hunt with stand and sticks, and that solved one problem but was still fairly bulky. Once I learned the hang and hunt it was a no-brainer to try saddle hunting.

Also having the experience of Western backpack hunting, I knew load hauling comfort has many factors beyond weight alone. Having a solid backpack suspension that distributes weight properly is much better than my treestand, which even with the molle straps was still uncomfortable as heck.

With all that in mind I had to try saddle hunting and put a system together that I could carry as comfortably as possible in a quality backpack. In the tree I would say there are things I like versus a treestand and some things I don't. Pretty much a wash, but the comfort hiking in is what sold me and I am all in now.

Hunt public exclusively and as you age things get heavier for some reason. The first 1/4 mile from the access areas always looks like Cabela’s show room floor with all the various stands and blinds. While it is fun to look at them not much hunting going on. This was my first season and I got into it late so most mornings were spent in the yard practicing climbing and getting comfortable. Did get some sits in and appreciated the ability to get to places I couldn’t or wouldn’t before. Still learning but the few times out saw a lot more activity and with the off season to work with my kit looking forward to next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted out of a climber for years which made me more mobile but I hated lugging it everywhere. I found a spot where the only access was to canoe in 2 hours to get to it. There was only 1 tree that could be hunted and it had a bunch of branches which meant the climber wouldn't work. I had been thinking of trying saddle hunting but that one tree forced me to try it. That first year I hunted out of a saddle, I sat in that tree and killed a buck. Now I'm sold on the saddle.

I have not purchased my first saddle yet, but it seems like a no brainer. I spent 25 years hunting private ground using a climber. Got bored and decided I Wanted a new hunting experience so I began hunting public land in the mountains of North Georgia. The terrain is very steep and often times a couple miles from the truck, so it is just not practical to try and carry a 22 pound climber along with all the other gear necessary. Hunting bear with a bow from the ground is very doable, but deer being a prey animal are just wired differently. I believe a deers eyesight is much better than a Bears as well, so being in an elevated shooting position is a huge benefit.

Finally, with all the extreme topography in the mountains getting off the ground even 15 feet can increase your field of view exponentially. Especially helpful late season rifle hunting during the rut when the leaves are off the trees. A 50 to 60 yard field of view from the ground can easily double by just being a little ways up a tree.

Last edited:
I absolutely loved my summit but at 65 years old carrying it and my pack was a bear on my back often times I would think of leaving it in the woods but was always afraid of someone stealing it so I would bring a cable or chain and lock (more weight) to lock it to a tree (Ugh). I also loved my Millenniums, also heavy lugging them around, such a pain to set up and sometimes scary but I would leave them in the tree, lock them in place only to find I would like to move them 50 ft. or so, (ugh) such a hassle! This year I had two other guys within 40 yards of one of my Millenniums and one guy was 40 yards from my Summit, that guy walked right by my stand on the way to his. I stopped hunting the Millennium and pulled the Summit.
My saddle is light, goes where I go so moving takes minutes instead of hours, no one knows where I am, only need one and are sooo safe! It was a no brainer for me. The other thing is I absolutely love hanging! :)

I have several stands for sale if anyone wants them , climbers ,lock on, and ladder. Sold my double bull blind. Tired of carrying all that steel into the woods. Tried an Anderson tree sling this year and wont be going back. Thanks for a great site and tons of informative help.

I'm going to be a hybrid hunter if I ever get mine. The reason I am changing is the fact that I can hunt any tree and I can be extremely comfortable at the same time. I can't sit in my Lone Wolf lock on long and my back starts killing me.

Bulk. Weight.

Those are the reasons I switched. Safety, swinging around trees, and all that other stuff is nice, but just making life easier in the swamps and thickets was the driving motive. We have a long season and I hunt a lot, so carrying stuff in and out and in and out wears you down. A 5lb rig just makes hunting off the beaten trail more pleasant. It also fits in a kayak a lot better than a hand climber.

I made the switch because I am hunting more public land now and several of the public lands I scouted where not good spots for my lone wolf climber. Started watching you tube videos G2 and DIY Sportsman. Their videos convinced me this was something I wanted to explore, so I did. After my first sit I was convinced this style of hunting was for me. Took all season to really fine tune my set up and my method to get up the tree. Now I can’t wait for the 2019 season.

My dad and I had hunt public land in northern Michigan and I hunt southern Michigan on a private parcel with lots of scrubby trees(not good for tree stands). I had a 9 point about 10 yards from my ladder stand last year and I shifted my feet to pull back and the ladder stand rattled and away went the 9 point. I also got sick and tired of lugging my climber back into the woods in northern Michigan and getting stuck hunting the same spot every year and not shooting anything. My dad had told me about John Eberhart and how he had shot all these record book bucks in Michigan, and how he hunted out of this tree harness thing. I thought it sounded silly at first and I forgot about it. About a year later I'm listening to the wired to hunt podcast and he has on John Eberhart and they are talking about hunting bucks on pressured land in Michigan(Hey that's ME!). Instantly my interest is through the roof, I looked up all the youtube videos I could on this guy. He mentions this tree saddle thing and I do more research on it, pros and cons etc. I was sold. Bought a Mantis and am still waiting for it to come in the mail. It's been refreshing to scout this year knowing that I can hunt out of most trees I see. I can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:
Basically what SaddleUp said. Tired of lugging my climber around public parcels and scouting for a good tree rather than a good location.

I’ve been hunting mobile on public land for years with lone wolf gear. This past winter I had my right knee partially replaced. I’ve yet to see my mantis and preditor, but they’re ordered....along with two rm1’s. So I’ll be practicing this spring summer and fall to get use to hunting out of the mantis. I’ll till use the hang on at times...like when it’s cold and I want to wear the heater body suit. But I’d like to figure out a way that I could wear the big thing while in the saddle. Any ideas?

Anywho...the saddles are lighter and easier to get around the public land with. Hopefully after hunting with them for a while, I’ll be able to list s bunch more reason as to why I prefer the saddle over hangons.

Back