• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mantis Comfort

LA Archer

Jan 1, 2020
I purchased a Mantis saddle and received it on Jan 6, I am struggling to get it comfortable. It seems to ride up constantly, any suggestions?

Reactions: bj139

pesqimon

Apr 25, 2018
Massachusetts
I think the Mantis favors the "leaner" style of SH as opposed to the "sitter", for comfort. That said, this advice will help with either style.

What I do is I pull the Mantis down until the top strap is under my butt. Then I let the saddle slide up and I pop into the right position. Eventually it will ride up again and I have to repeat the process but this makes it comfortable for that time. You'll probably have to loosen the straps and then retighten.

Playing with tether height is also good. I found a lower tether helped. I ended up going as low as chest height.

Later on I also replaced the stock bridge with a shorter one and this also improved my comfort. Mainly, I think, because the shorter bridge works better with the lower tether.

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
I was going to buy a Mantis several times when I noticed many people comment about this. I am a sitter so I never did. @DanO suggested a battle belt many moons ago added to a saddle I think to get it to hang down onto your seat to enable better sitting. I added a belt to my sitdrag and it was very comfortable so that is what I continue to use. Thread is here.

Reactions: scpokevin

Semper_Fi13

Jul 30, 2019
North Carolina
Lower the tether to neck lvl, let you main belt of the mantis go below you belt line. The leg straps i loosen almost all the way out so they don't catch on my pants when I move around. I lower you platform to a downward angle if you can. Im 6'1 235 and have a really bad back from when i was in the service. I can do a all day sit doing this. Now i like to stand so i will have to adjust when I decide to sit again. I do about 60% stand and 40% sitting..

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
Oct 7, 2019
MN
i experienced ride up on my mantis too, another thing i didn't see mentioned would be to use the other attachment for the leg straps when climbing or hanging, it does make a difference. also make sure that the bridge is in a good position on your bridge loops. i never could get rid of the ride up myself though

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
I think the biggest thing with a mantis is it works better for learners and low tethers. I’m a sitter mostly and have swapped over to the phantom with no complaints.

beaston

Oct 25, 2019
I think the biggest thing with a mantis is it works better for learners and low tethers. I’m a sitter mostly and have swapped over to the phantom with no complaints.
I was hoping to hear that! I mostly sit and the mantis was painful compared to my old Trophyline. I'm a little concerned with trying a platform over a ROS for same reason

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
My old trophyline was the worst saddle I’ve owned. It’s on loan but it’s never actually been to the woods with me.

beaston

Oct 25, 2019
My old trophyline was the worst saddle I’ve owned. It’s on loan but it’s never actually been to the woods with me.
Nothing about it was "great" but I did find ways to make it work for me since it was pretty much the only commercially built saddle out there. Got into Saddle shape as we call it. Could've done the same with the Mantis if I had to but hoping the Phantom makes it easier. As a note I just made a new bridge which I could cinch both sides to do the same as the comfort loops but than seen the phantom came out and decided to sell but definitely could've made it work.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
@beaston ut wasn’t that I couldn’t get comfortable in the original trophylines it was just the sheer size. I had already been spoiled with a mantis and kestrel.

Reactions: Ontariofarmer

Ballistic_Sam

Sep 10, 2019
West Arkansas
Mine rides up too but it not uncomfortable. I pull it down when I think of it. The absolute biggest comfort factor for me was getting the Predator Platform that changed everything. I run my tether at eye level and mostly lean. I was in the saddle last weekend for 4.5 hours and never felt like I needed to sit or rest on my knees. When I do get to wanting a different feel I choke up on the tether which puts me more towards the tree and standing but not really........does that make sense? Also keep at it.....I've had mine since October last year and it wasn't until I go the platform that it all came together!

gameflogger

SH Member
Dec 2, 2014
Texas
Mine rides up too but it not uncomfortable. I pull it down when I think of it. The absolute biggest comfort factor for me was getting the Predator Platform that changed everything. I run my tether at eye level and mostly lean. I was in the saddle last weekend for 4.5 hours and never felt like I needed to sit or rest on my knees. When I do get to wanting a different feel I choke up on the tether which puts me more towards the tree and standing but not really........does that make sense? Also keep at it.....I've had mine since October last year and it wasn't until I go the platform that it all came together!
I made a saddle that is a lot like the Mantis. I sewed the leg strap loop in the middle of the saddle bridge loops, but I put a double sided loop. I have another adjustable strap that is not load bearing that I can move around under my butt and tighten it to keep the saddle from riding up. It is easily removed and rolled up with my back rest band. Works amazing for me