• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mantis hip pressure..... any tips?

Buckhorn70

SH Member
I have a L Mantis that I have been hunting in this weekend. I am experiencing a bit of pressure right on the hip bones.

I am 36” size Jean..... 6,1” 215 lbs...Not sure if a XL would eliminate the pressure I feel. I also have been hunting out of a large mesh tree saddle since 2009 with no hip pinch. So I have ALOT of experience in a saddle.

Just looking for a way to make the hip pressure go away in the Mantis.

I was gonna ask what ur tether height was because you can't change your bridge, right? I would try different tether heights and see if that worked, if it doesn't you could tie on another bridge that you can adjust and see if that works. You need advice from @redsquirrel lol

The mantis has a 30” bridge. I thought was kinda long for a bridge no?

What attachment point are you using for the leg straps? The lower ones reduced a lot of the pinch for me.

Much longer bridge. I doubled the length it came with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm something else to tinker with... just what I needed... lol

I’m struggling with the top band/strap on the Mantis riding on top of my hip bones (the part of the bone that protrudes out). Where are you guys riding that top strap in relation to your hip bone?

I’m struggling with the top band/strap on the Mantis riding on top of my hip bones (the part of the bone that protrudes out). Where are you guys riding that top strap in relation to your hip bone?
IMO you need the micro adjusters. They will allow you to distribute the weight more evenly in the saddle so it will take excess pressure off the top strap.

For me, once I get weight on my saddle, sliding the eye of the bridge, on each side, toward the bottom of saddle takes almost all the pressure off of my waist.

Ok....I am new to saddle hunting too fwiw. I was extremely uncomfortable with the Mantis as well, until I did 2 things. A longer adjustable bridge, and I clip the belt much lower than where I would normally put a belt. The latter made the most significant change. I am pretty sure I could sit all day now.

Anyone else find the belt placement important?

Ok....I am new to saddle hunting too fwiw. I was extremely uncomfortable with the Mantis as well, until I did 2 things. A longer adjustable bridge, and I clip the belt much lower than where I would normally put a belt. The latter made the most significant change. I am pretty sure I could sit all day now.

Anyone else find the belt placement important?

I don’t have a mantis yet but I like to wear a kestrel low. I think everyone’s opinion is different based on how we are built and how we sit. If it works for you that is all that matters.
I find with winter bibs on it is always comfortable no matter what I do. So what you are wearing also makes a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was in a kestrel yesterday and I felt pinch around the belt. I had a thick leather belt on my pants and I think that might have been it. I have a thin belt made out of camo rope im gonna try. I also have an adjustable bridge and that helps a lot.

The standard Mantis bridge is a little short for me. My linesman's belt has a ropeman on it that makes it adjustable. I use the stock Mantis bridge for getting up in the tree but swap it out for my lineman's belt adjusted a little longer for my sit. It's already attached and I just route it through the carabiner to the other bridge loop once settled. Takes care of the limited hip pinch I have with the stock bridge.

This is an expensive option but I just can't see how it wouldn't help. I just need someone to guinea pig it for me. LOL
b62bb45a814a64cd3e757e3d4e19e13b.jpg
10bd859334b6faf48b02e6f13c98f43a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would stay away from adding metal because of the noise, just my opinion, I guess if you can't get comfortable it might be worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Now i need the bridge shorter so the two ends are closer together for napping. Right now my head fits in between the ends haha. I put tether way over my head. I reach up as high as i can. Being 6’5” I have really long arms. All seriousness, I just sat dark to dark and couldnt nap. Thats not gonna work for real. My head hurts from the bridge pinching it haha. Good ole saddle hunting head pinch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a cloth tape measure, put on your trophyline saddle and adjust the cinch strap (bridge) to whatever the hunting length is that you had no hip pinch with and were comfortable sitting in. Once in that comfortable hunting position, while running the tape along the cinch strap measure the entire distance from one end of the cinch belt to the other and then continue measuring under your butt and back to where you started on the cinch. Replicate the same complete length in your mantis and you may have to change to a different bridge rope than what it came with or go to a bigger size which has a wider seat.

Back