• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mantis, Kerstel, or Kite?????

Lones11

I'm looking to purchase my 1st saddle ASAP. I've always been a run and gun type person and have widdled down the weight of my traditional setup. Looking to take the next step. I'm an all in type person so I want to ask opinions of the Mantis vs. Kerstel vs. Kite so I can make the most informed purchase going in to it. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'm looking to purchase my 1st saddle ASAP. I've always been a run and gun type person and have widdled down the weight of my traditional setup. Looking to take the next step. I'm an all in type person so I want to ask opinions of the Mantis vs. Kerstel vs. Kite so I can make the most informed purchase going in to it. Thanks in advance!

That is a real difficult question until several people review them. At present we have no direct comparisons and only speculation.
Also saddle preferences are truly personal. I doubt you would go seriously wrong with any of them however I would lean towards a Mantis or Kite because they are updated. However, I expect the price of used Kestrels will soon drop when the others are more readily available.

Look on the saddle hunter map for someone near you so you can try a saddle. Guys on the site are usually more that willing to make that happen.

You say you want to purchase one ASAP... wait two weeks. You will still have time to practice if your opener is Oct 1.
I have a kestrel and ordered a mantis

Last edited:
First off welcome aboard.

I agree with @Ontariofarmer, I know from having a kestrel and having it, having reviewed it it is very well made. Very well built. From what I understand both the Mantis from Tethrdnation and the Kite from Aero Hunter will be made to the same standards with updates. Such as, they will both be made of mesh, lighter weight and the linesman D loops will moved forward. DIY Sportsman has a great a nice review of the Kite (I believe to be a prototype) on his YouTube channel and Tethrdnation has a lot of promotional and mini reviews of the Mantis prototypes out on their channel and YouTube. The mesh That tethered nation uses is of a military grade. Not sure what what mesh the kite is made out of. I have to assume it is something similar. The Kite is a step through system while the Mantis uses clips for the waist and leg straps. The mantis uses spliced knots and amsteel for the bridge. The Kite uses predator rope and knots for their ropes.

Hopefully, both companies will provide test results here soon. I know Tethrdnation was supposed to be testing this past week.

Last edited:
The lineman belt loops on the Kite are NOT moved forward that I can tell with a kestrel and kite laying side by side

I would try to hold off a little longer until all the reviews on in. I love my kestrel but I do like the looks of the Mantis and the Kite. Don't like the buckles on the Kite but that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one. I like the way the Mantis is made and I do like the buckles.

Just received my kite yesterday and I tried it out in my backyard. It's awesome. Although this is my first saddle so I dont have much to compare, it is comfortable and very well made. Some people had concerns on the buckles making noise. I can jump up and down and the saddle is dead quiet for me. I chose this one only because I could get it sooner to start practicing. The back band is nice too.

Some good info so far. Thank you. I'll hold off just a little to keep searching for more reviews. Itching to get one and start practicing before the season!

Between the Kite and the Kestrel (both made by New Tribe Aerohunter)- I think either is fine for hunting. Each has its strong/weak points. If I already owned a Kestrel (which I do) I wouldn't buy a kite to replace it (which I did buy one but just for review purposes) unless you want to shave some weight off your saddle system. The buckles are not my favorite on either (Kestrel a bit heavy/overkill - Kite has a slider bar and leg buckles that could be a potential source of unwanted noise). As soon as my Mantis comes in I will review it. We have three saddle offerings today (I don't consider the Guido's a saddle) that are far better then what has been offered in the last decade or so and all three I am sure can be easily modified to hunt effectively from.

Once again, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with either saddle offered by new Tribe - but for me, I would lean towards a kestrel at this point. Hopefully the mantis will come in soon and I will give it a quick once over and then decide which saddle I will hunt with as my primary saddle this year. It could very well end up that I hunt with my fleece/RCH saddle system) as that cannot be beat for compactness, quietness and COMFORT?????

Last edited:
Back