• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mathews V3 27 or V3 31?

Zero One Actual

SH Member
I am 6’5, 230lbs of beast mode. 30 inch draw. 65lb. I am curious about the new V3 27 short axle bow and am wondering if any other bigger guys here have used a bow that small with any success. I never have but for some reason I want to see if it is any easier/better for saddle hunting than any of the 30 something bows from other companies. Thanks in advance.

If you are Beast Mode guy go with the 90 lbs daw Mathews Monster Safari...
But the V3 27 is a awesome bow...
My Brother is 6’3” 230lbs and has been shooting the Triax for years and loves it.
I would go to a Mathews dealer and try it out and see if it’s for you.

Long draw length and short ATA is a setup that is very susceptible to canting. I spent a few years with a Bowmadness 28" ATA just short of 30" draw and inside 20 it was a joy but more than that and I had to pay attention to my sight bubble. So much so it became part of my preshot routine at all distances. Shooting 33" ATA now and I still look at my bubble for longer shots or If I am at a funny angle but otherwise my current bow does not lose as much accuracy with a slight bow cant. Back a few bows, shooting 36" ATA I never paid any attention to my sight bubble.

I can't stand short ATA bows. If you shoot the correct draw length the short ATA and string angle pushes the peep too far from my eye. Some increase their draw length to semi correct this, but that causes other form problems. I shoot a 28 or 28.5 inch draw depending on the bow and manufacturer and I prefer an ATA of no less tha 33".

Long draw length and short ATA is a setup that is very susceptible to canting. I spent a few years with a Bowmadness 28" ATA just short of 30" draw and inside 20 it was a joy but more than that and I had to pay attention to my sight bubble. So much so it became part of my preshot routine at all distances. Shooting 33" ATA now and I still look at my bubble for longer shots or If I am at a funny angle but otherwise my current bow does not lose as much accuracy with a slight bow cant. Back a few bows, shooting 36" ATA I never paid any attention to my sight bubble.
Awesome! Thanks.

I think the string angle will be too steep for you. I shoot 28.5” draw at 5’11” height. I went with the V3 31 due to having to slightly tilt my head to maintain contact with my nose. Just felt uncomfortable.

Back